• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removing Track Clips?

D
Feb 12, 2009
Kemmerer, WY
I know this is one of those things that different people have different opinions on but I will ask anyways... I will be putting on a new 2.5" Camo Extreme that supposedly weighs about 9lbs more then my 09 D8 155" track along with the Holz D&R kit. Is it a bad idea to remove every other clip such as on the stock track? I would only do this as I am a little concerned about loosing some track speed with the extra weight. I have read that some people say there is less friction with a fully clipped track and therefore an increase in track speed. IF this is true, is it enough to mostly over come the additional weight of the track?? IF it's not a bad idea to remove the clips, what is the best way to do so without damaging the track? The sled is piped and has good power, but I am just a little concerned about loosing too much power/track speed. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Partially clipped tracks are just fine in good snow, but if you are riding baked trails to your riding area, scratchers are gonna come in handy. I'd personally leave them on.

J
I have run both tracks on my 900 and with the track not fully clipped (5.1)burned though hyfax in less than 1000 miles even with scratchers just running trails to get to the good stuff.No problem yet with the camoplast even in marginal snow.

Premium Features