• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recommend where to get radios

R
Nov 17, 2023
Montana
Looking to get a radio for riding in the mountains with buddies in Montana and wondering what radio/ dealers yall recommend? Seems to be mixed reviews on the bca/oxbows and a few of my buddies run baofengs they got off Amazon and seem to be happy with them?

CISC0

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2010
PNW=WA
Ride 208 ….. I've bought a few pre programmed baofeng from him.
Or get one off Amazon and program yourself.
youtube how to program.

R
Nov 17, 2023
Montana
Just out of curiosity I have an ICOM ic-a6 vhf air band in my desk from an old drone work project that failed. Is there any way to unlock and reprogram this for use sledding?

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Baofeng had to limit channels or maybe power on the radios sold in the US. Someone posted that info on this forum last season, and how to jailbreak them.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I switched from bca 2.0 and boefang radios to oxbow renegade x with Bluetooth a couple years now and I've been very happy with them.
You can still get 20% of on #Oxbowgear for a couple more hours.

M
I have and have used all the radios mentioned and like them all for various reasons. One that is not mentioned that has become my go to is the Rocky Talkie. Easy to use, battery charge lasts, easy to attach etc. All good but like Rocky Talkie, Oxbow and BCA in that order.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Does your setup allow listening to music or any additional functions from phone or just radio?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I looked into the Rocky Talkie. They are expensive for sure, but look pretty though out and water proof. Another $65 to add the mic to the radio. Cool design though!

I use the Baofeng radios and love them. Very inexpensive. Programming in the past has been a bit of a bugger! There is a new way to program them using android or apple. Looks pretty easy.

Here is the ASIN # for amazon B098SM9FVL

1701359981240.png

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I always thought programming the Baofeng was pretty pretty easy, much easier than I expected.
Especially if you have a buddy that already has the channels you want, then you just clone the thing.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Is the gmrs pro worth the price over the uv-82hp?
I run the pro and I say yes it is. Out standing audio quality. GPS, and Bluetooth control of all functions/settings from your phone. Location sharing between pro's. Location polling of your group. Preprogrammed with gmrs/frs channels. Analog and digital squelch control (sub channels).

Last I checked the BCA was close to $200. (Seriously overpriced.) For that much you can get a btech pro with speaker Mic, gps, phone app to control the radio with topo mapping.

Be very careful doing business with ride208......

Last edited:

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Pulled the trigger and ordered a set of the 5w rocky talkies and mics. My names Ryan and I’m a gear junkie….. There, I feel much better😂

Can’t find much info online with this, but If I have a 5w radio and others are rocking standard .5w radios AND we’re all on say a 5w capable channel (1-7).

Who benefits?

Purely me, with my 5w getting my more powerful signal to others vs a combined benefit to others?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Ya, I get that, if I’m at a distance that only my 5w radio is capable of. But if we’re in proximity as we’d be with standard 2w or .5w radios, we’d be fine communicating. Makes sense.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, I get that, if I’m at a distance that only my 5w radio is capable of. But if we’re in proximity as we’d be with standard 2w or .5w radios, we’d be fine communicating. Makes sense.
Though, given the choice, in an emergency situation, MORE POWER is ALWAYS the right answer.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Had a spot today I busted through a rough spot to get to a better ridge, called back to them and they heard me perfect, all I could get was there key in. Told my son to follow my tracks in and they know two one key is 👍🏻 and two is 👎🏻 to respond.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
3 Days, 9-11 sleds each day, only sheered one skag on a rock….
41 degrees rolling out of lot, We’re calling it quits on our luck and parking machines until snow flies.

Premium Features