• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recoil slipping when sled is warm with shot

wodard4321

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2010
Lake Tapps,Washington
Yesterday's ride stopped for a break and a guy on a new hold over 19 with shot pulled his recoil be mistake and it would not grab we Laughed then 3 other guys with 2020 experts pulled their recoils on their sleds and they all slipped also wondering if this is normal I don't think so. After they cooled off they started grabbing again. Wondering if the recoyles are getting too hot by the exhaust

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Stock exhaust or cans? Tell them to put reflective heat tape on the recoil cover and that will help. Didn’t have any problems with mine yesterday and I put heat tape on the cover and have stock can.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Doo tends to put too much grease on some of the parts in the recoil. It gets warm and spreads to parts that rely on friction to grab. The grease inhibits that.

Easy fix pull off or have dealer pull off. Clean grease up reinstall.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Yesterday's ride stopped for a break and a guy on a new hold over 19 with shot pulled his recoil be mistake and it would not grab we Laughed then 3 other guys with 2020 experts pulled their recoils on their sleds and they all slipped also wondering if this is normal I don't think so. After they cooled off they started grabbing again. Wondering if the recoyles are getting too hot by the exhaust
The 19 had a bulletin for that but dont do anything just ride and it will go away after 150 miles, it is a tight bolt that loosens in that time, some machine experience it most do not. If you change it out you might get the same thing. If it does happen beyond the 150-180 miles let the dealer know. The 2020 should not be experiencing that so let you dealer know and see for the next few rides out. It was a bigger issue last season with some production issues with shot and then guys had to start off the clutch but should not be an issue for ya. cheers dave

wodard4321

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2010
Lake Tapps,Washington
The 19 had a bulletin for that but dont do anything just ride and it will go away after 150 miles, it is a tight bolt that loosens in that time, some machine experience it most do not. If you change it out you might get the same thing. If it does happen beyond the 150-180 miles let the dealer know. The 2020 should not be experiencing that so let you dealer know and see for the next few rides out. It was a bigger issue last season with some production issues with shot and then guys had to start off the clutch but should not be an issue for ya. cheers dave
It happened on (2) 2020 experts one with stock can and one with Dimond S can and the new 19 had SLP can all recoils started working after cool down. So Dave you think the 2020 sleds should go to dealer to take a look? I was going to put some heat shield on the recoil and see it takes care of it.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
It happened on (2) 2020 experts one with stock can and one with Dimond S can and the new 19 had SLP can all recoils started working after cool down. So Dave you think the 2020 sleds should go to dealer to take a look? I was going to put some heat shield on the recoil and see it takes care of it.
Personally I would wait after the 150-180 miles, should no happen again, if it does after that definately to dealer

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
One Expert in my group had the issue yesterday and 2 19's. My Expert did it one time and then every time I stopped tried it and it never happened again. Hopefully it doesnt happen after a long idle period were your shot doesnt work a need to be re-pull started.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Umm my 2001zx had crap recoil..my 17g4 crap recoil. And everything inbetween. Time for a new design from doo

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
One Expert in my group had the issue yesterday and 2 19's. My Expert did it one time and then every time I stopped tried it and it never happened again. Hopefully it doesnt happen after a long idle period were your shot doesnt work a need to be re-pull started.
If it sits long enough for shot to not be functional, it should have cooled down long enough for it to work, again talking about the first breakin miles, it should not happen after that...

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My Expert did it yesterday once. I am sure that if you clean out the grease and put some Norona sweat on it that it will work perfectly. It may even start itself when asked.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
FWIW - I too am not a proponent of grease in the recoils, and have felt that Doo puts way too much in their OEM assemblies.
Maybe a "little dab'l doo yuh", but that's it.
It's all plastic and plastic is for the most part - self lubricating.
And it has a very low duty cycle at that.

I recommend no or very little grease when assembling with my aluminum kit as well.

Premium Features