• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reciever mount motorcycle racks?

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
I have a '96 GMC 2500 that has a single reciever set-up on the front. I'd like to find (or build) something I can haul my '91 XT 600 on. This bike is HEAVY, I'm thinking at least 400 lb. I'm a little concerned about that much weight on the single reciever. Did a little snooping around online and it looks like most are recommending a double stinger for the heavier bikes. Anyone have a heavy bike that they haul this way? Cooling is another concern as well...

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
Well i haven't loaded my bike on the front but had to use a hitch extension on the back to clear the camper. The extension really made the rack really wobble a lot and I was concerned about tongue weight. I added some straps to reduce the tongue weight and wobble. I ran some straps up to the camper jacks. Maybe you can run straps to your front tow hooks. I dunno just an idea

DSC00512.jpg

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Check Mototote.com . I bought their 600 lbs tote for a KLR650 I had a few years ago. I had it on the back of my Tacoma. It worked fine but I always put a strap from my ladder rack to the bike with about .5" slack. The KLR was about 450 lbs full of gas\oil, that's just too much open leverage for any receiver hitch.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
You can get anti-rattle hitch brackets for cheap to reduce extra slop.

I made a hauler for my xr650r using an 18" receiver extension to which I bolted a hd mc ramp to. On the extension, to provide more surface area for ramp on top, I sandwiched the extention with a few 1/4 x 4" angle iron pieces on each side and bolted ramp to top. Pretty solid mount for my 300# bike.

The T piece at front of ramp allows too much flex in the ramp so I also tie the footpegs down to the receiver/tube which does the trick.

The good thing about this is I still have a receiver tube so i can pull a small trailer.

Premium Features