• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Possible convert but I have questions

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
Hey guys, I could use some feedback.

Over the past few years I've kept an eye on the snow bike kits. The latest version from Timbersled and the amount of new snowbikers out there really caught my eye. I figure I'm missing out on something. For the last couple of days, I've read lots of posts and watched a bunch of Youtube videos to get myself back up to speed. I feel really confident that I would like a snow bike and to my surprise my wife said she would want to try it if I like it. I'd like some feedback on my tentative plan since I'm going into this relatively blind and haven't ridden any bikes for a good length of time for many years.

I ride the Polaris Pro RMK chassis and my usual riding terrain is heavily treed, very little trail riding to the good areas, classic boondocking type riding, sidehilling, technical stuff. I unload at 10,000 and the riding varies from 8-12.5' in elevation. I live at 6,800'. My riding location is Southern Colorado.

Since my elevation varies, I think an injected bike would be best. I would like to ride my bike in the off season occasionally too. New Mexico recently started to crack down on plating dirt bikes, which further complicates my bike selection. Guys that had plates for years recently got an OHV sticker when they tried to renew. This really limits my options and right now, it seems like my best option is the KTM 500 exc as it is essentially a street legal dirt bike weighing in at about 248lbs without fuel (KTM website data). NM can't screw with me on the plates issue at least. I also have a headlight, taillight and enough amps to run handwarmers and aux lighting. I'm about to turn 40 and I'm 6'1, 215lbs without gear so I think the bike will fit me well. The price of admission for the 500 exc is steep but if ride it in the off snow season, I can get over it.

To add more weight to the KTM side, I have a neighbor, who is a long time KTM fan and he does all his own wrenching. On his 500 ecw alone, he has over 15k miles racked up so he is pretty familiar with this particular bike/motor. This is a good benefit for me since I've been out of the single track world since the early 90's. I've had a street bike since then and taken my refresher courses but I'm approaching this as I'm starting from scratch both from the riding and wrenching standpoints. He would be a good asset regardless of what I buy but having the KTM would help me get knowledgeable on the bike quickly. I am still a good wrench and do all my own maintenance on my vehicles, rzrs, sleds, etc. I've built several cars and Jeeps over the years so I can hold my own.

I do not plan to turbo the bike. I will do some DS/adventure type riding around my area. I live in the mountains so there are a lot of single track areas and forest roads to explore. Having a plated bike will definitely be a plus in the summer. I think the wide ratio trans even though the bike is lower revving than the 450 will suit my riding style. I can creep through areas but still make some good climbs while hauling around my 215lb frame.

I know I'll need a bash plate, maybe some adventure style pegs to fit my size 14's and hand warmers. I may look at a bigger tank too so I don't have to carry as much fuel on the rack. A tether might be useful and I might de-smog it and/or look into a fuel tuner.

Any wise words? What am I forgetting? Does this seem like a good plan so far? Should I go for it and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Up in the East Mountains near Albuquerque

L
Jun 26, 2008
do it

your gonna love the snowbike. i have a 500xcw with a long track, it works great, the 450's are a little snappier, but the 500 will go anywhere they will. i think a long track is the way to go, esp with the 500. i chose the 500 because i wanted a bike to ride trails and dual sport in the summer, every bike will have its compromises, but i think the ktm 500 is the best choice out there for one bike to do it all.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
Awesome, thanks for feedback. One of the local guys mentioned the new Husky FE 501 S, which is now street legal for 2015. It is very close to the KTM 500EXC.

The Husqvarna has the new closed chamber 4cs wp forks, composite subframe, rear linkage as opposed to the PDS on the KTM. I may have to go down and look at those too. The PDS would be better for clearance over the rocks in the summer but I suppose the linkage is made to take some abuse. I know the open chamber forks are easier for someone like me to service but I saw a few videos on this revised closed chamber system that may make it possible to service at home.

Converted almost sounds religious

You ride two ski's, your a boondocker, You live in the mountains and your wife says yes, do ya need to be pushed?

The ktm is a great product today and yesterday I would eat cr 500 and kx 500 for breakfast with my 550 ktm back in the day. If you were only ever a sledder it's a harder convert, but you ride street bikes and the dirt in the past, you are a natural, you may never look back.

Turbo? Well if your flush blow your wad, but there are better solutions for the money. It's called cubic inches. Thumpers spooled have short life's.

Rethink the wide ratio, on a snowbike application you are always looking for more power and better gearing, sx er's always have more snap, and better gearing. If it is to be a duel purpose there are simple things u can do to tame it down for dirt trail riding. Good skid check, grip warmers check, giant pegs? Cory at Brewster West makes the best in the biz in Turner Valley AB.

You are just a pup starting out,turning 40, 6'1 and 215lb and size 14's, I've got over 20 years on you, lost an inch in height, gained 20lb, cranky in the morning, Advil to rock, but I still suffer from BIGFOOT lol.

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
You're on the right track, the husky or KTM 500 is probably one of the most fun bikes to just cruise around on with a LT and it makes a really good DS bike in the summer. Either one will be good on the snow, but I would definitely do a Husky for dirt, the linkage rear suspension is far superior in my opinion, the PDS bikes work ok on technical singletrack but at high speeds it just sucks, the steeper head angle does make them a little more nimble on snow though... I haven't looked at the airbox's on the new husky yet to see if they can have a piece removed or cut out for snow, that could be a deal breaker if they are part of the composite subframe, might want to check it out before you get one if you go that route

Premium Features