• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RCMP Officer killed in avalanche

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
One officer killed, another critically injured near Kaslo B.C. Just two guys out sledding enjoying what we all do. Bad year for snowpac stability, play safe guys, people at home depend on you.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I saw the report this morning as well. Interested to hear what actually happened. Do you know where they were, exactly?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I saw the report and it said Nelson City cops and not RCMP. Not that one is better than the other to get killed/hurt but I ride with one of the RCMP officers now and again and don't want it to be him.
Agreed the press release on the Nelson City page indicates it was NCP officers. Not that it’s here nor there, but I had the same thought on an (RC) officer (likely we’re thinking of the same fellow). Small towns here tho…so they’ll be connected somehow :(

Have not heard of where near Kaslo…lots of steep mountains that way. Very sad indeed..hopefully the injured fella pulls through.

P
Dec 15, 2018
I saw another really bad near miss in revelstoke. Avalanche Canada has posted bad conditions. Sucks for everyone. My condolences and best wishes to the friends and families and prayers for a speedy full recovery for the other officer. Stay off the steep stuff until it’s safer

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Well I just watched the noon news and the story has changed, they were Nelson municipal police and they were “ski touring” not snowmobiling. Sorry for the misinformation guys.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
The original news stories spoke to snowmobiling as well....the lines are often blurry around here, as many trips to the bush are multi-sport. Turns out this was ski touring from a backcountry hut. Said hut typically requires sled access. Here's the best news clip I've seen thus far:

Premium Features