• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Purging air from brake fluid??????

F

frock

Sep 13, 2005
British Columbia, Canada
I installed a 6 inch riser on a buddies 600 RMK and had to put a longer brake line on. How do you guys get rid of the air in the system? I've never done this on a Polaris been a Cat guy forever.

Thanks;
Shane

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
When I installed my riser I bled the brakes like you would a vehicle. I put a clear hose on the bleed screw on the caliper to be able to direct the brake fluid to a can. Then I squeezed the brake lever and while holding the lever back, opened the bleed screw. Then tightened the bleed screw and release the lever and keep repeating this til you get a nice stream of brake fluid out with no air bubbles. Make sure you keep an eye on the brake fluid reservoir so it doesn't run out. I was able to do it myself but having two people will make it easier. I just cranked the handlebars to the left so I could reach the brake lever and the bleed screw on the caliper.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
simple process called "bleeding" the system. JDTech just went over it, machine-specific instructions are probably in the service/owners manual.

F

frock

Sep 13, 2005
British Columbia, Canada
I was hoping that it was a system like Cat's. Just remove the cover from the oil resevoir and pump the brake lever. As the oil is forced into the system the air also bleeds out the reservoir because it is the highest point in the system; a steady stream of bubbles will come out the bottom of reservoir till all the air is gone and you just keep topping up the resevoir till it won't take anymore. I will have to do it old school with the bleed at the caliper though by the sounds of the replies. Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Thanks;
Shane

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
You can do as mentioned above with the clear hose, but put the end of the hose in a plastic bottle already half full of fluid. That way you do not have to keep opening and closing the bleeder. With the end of the hose in fluid it wont pull air back up the line when you release the lever. Just open the bleeder, fill the resevoir with fluid and pump and keep adding fluid until there is no more bubbles coming into the bottle. When finished you have saved the good fluid to put back in the container. You can use a short piece of wire to hang the bottle in an easy to see location. Good luck. EW

Premium Features