• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Public land hunting in Colorado

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Seeing all of these geese along the front range is driving me crazy cause I have to go shoot some of them but don't know where I can & can't hunt.

What are the rules when it comes to hunting state land in CO? If I have an atlas and if a piece of land shows as state, can I hunt it? (unless otherwise posted)

C
Sep 18, 2003
Keenesburg CO
If I have an atlas and if a piece of land shows as state, can I hunt it? (unless otherwise posted)

Short answer, no. State land is mostly leased to farmers and ranchers who then control the land. Even if it is state land, if you don't have permission from the leaser, it is trespassing. If it is open to public hunting, it will be posted as such. You can also buy a booklet (I think it's called WHIP, walkin hunting program or something like that) that shows land that the DOW has leased hunting rights to in order to open them to public hunting.

You can also make reservations at Banner Lakes, Wellington Lakes, Platte River (several sites) for hunting. I think that info is all on the DOW website.

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
You might try to get in touch with the local dow officer in the area and ask them about areas to hunt. Who better to know? PM me if you need a name and number to call.

Premium Features