• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

psi dial a dome heads

S
Dec 17, 2009
I am looking for instructions for installing psi dial a dome heads. I have been trying to get psi to send me the information that is send with the heads since Thanksgiving. With two attempt I still have no information. I need to know if I can use standard gaskets and what the torque specs are if different from factory specs. Any help would be greatly appreciated since psi is not motivated to help promote their own product.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Do you have these already? If not I would recommend running away.. FAR away from any PSI products.

S
Dec 17, 2009
PSI Heads

I do already have the heads. Last year out in Michigan's up I had a an antifreeze leak and have to change out gaskets and also have this head that has been sitting around for about 3 years. I was thinking that I would put it on my sled but do not have the info. At the same time I am really happy with the stock performance of the sled and do not want to take away the reliability that I have grown used to . Can you give me insight because I could just sell the head and fix my waterjacket problem with very little effort. Any thought would be greatly appreciated

S
Dec 17, 2009
PSI Heads

I thought when I got no help from the source that things were not as they seemed. Quite frankly I'm happy with this old sled that still kick major *** just the way it is. Thanks again for the information

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
I thought when I got no help from the source that things were not as they seemed. Quite frankly I'm happy with this old sled that still kick major *** just the way it is. Thanks again for the information

OK, first of all just wait Bruce is very busy at this time of year but he will get....... Holy cow I almost got it out without busting up.... Like said before RUN sell them as fast as you can and get away from psi. I would just fix what you have and stay as far away from anything that has to do with Bruce that you can.. If he hasnt burned you yet he will if you continue to try and deal with him..

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If the heads have been sitting for 3 years you'll wanna replace the rubbers.

You can get O-rings from a pneumatic or hydraulic store for MUCH cheaper and QUICKER than you can with Bruce.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
Psi heads

The designe is good engeniring just ok , mine leaked every other ride so I had SLP build a custom billet for my 925 it makes better power now and does NOT LEAK!!

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Is PSI back in business? How does Bruce do it, must be a lot of fish out there.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Oh he's running a business in Ogden...but I heard it was out of a mini-storage unit.

96STOMMY96

Dec 3, 2020
Idaho Falls
Psi heads

The designe is good engeniring just ok , mine leaked every other ride so I had SLP build a custom billet for my 925 it makes better power now and does NOT LEAK!!
Slash how much did SLP run you at the time to do that? I am trying to find someone around the Idaho Falls area that would make me a set of heads. Got two PSI 925's, both are in such great shape too. Maybe Boondockers or SLP I have thought about.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
I thought they were the coolest things in the world. Had the purple set on my 890 and the red set on my 1050. Yes dealing with Bruce was difficult. I think the only reason I had good luck with them was because I never adjusted them after the initial install. also always used the TM40 rack carbs and never went near the PSI carbs. Also learned that the EGT's and digitron gauges were a waste of time. All a guy needed was a good understanding of carb and clutch tuning and a good torque arm and a good water temp gauge. Great motors while they worked and then not so much when they didn't but they were phenomenal when they worked. Both eventually crashed and burned and then I moved on back to the stock Polaris 800 setup with trail ported cylinders and SLP ceramic twin pipes and their high elevation heads which was also a great package. Too bad PSI could not make those motors work from a post sale service perspective......Bruce would have had a good thing going.

IMG00038-20110513-2000.jpgpsi 6.jpg

psi 5.jpg

Last edited:

96STOMMY96

Dec 3, 2020
Idaho Falls
I thought they were the coolest things in the world. Had the purple set on my 890 and the red set on my 1050. Yes dealing with Bruce was difficult. I think the only reason I had good luck with them was because I never adjusted them after the initial install. also always used the TM40 rack carbs and never went near the PSI carbs. Also learned that the EGT's and digitron gauges were a waste of time. All a guy needed was a good understanding of carb and clutch tuning and a good torque arm and a good water temp gauge. Great motors while they worked and then not so much when they didn't but they were phenomenal when they worked. Both eventually crashed and burned and then I moved on back to the stock Polaris 800 setup with trail ported cylinders and SLP ceramic twin pipes and their high elevation heads which was also a great package. Too bad PSI could not make those motors work from a post sale service perspective......Bruce would have had a good thing going.

View attachment 403258View attachment 403259

View attachment 403270
As I have read and asked guys said set them and forget them, which I am more than happy with doing. How do you know to properly set them though? Is there a certain height/reading you get from them? I was chatting with someone that mentioned a 12-12.5 compression ratio for my elevation and race gas mix is perfect. How do I get to that setting though? is it just a simple compression test? I am also leaning towards using Lectron carbs, everyone that uses Lectron on the PSI's loves them.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
both of my psi motors came fully assembled so I don't know how initial set-up on the dial-a-dome would work.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
You would need to set squish clearance as well as static cranking compression. The dial a domes allowed you to do this. Use soft solder pieces through spark plug holes then compress the solder. You measure squish clearance at edge of piston, between head an piston crown. Tighter squish equals higher compression and velocity during combustion.. Many factors go into what the proper distance is. Air temp, air density, fuel type, fuel octane, engine rpm, ignition timing, engine temp. All will change flame front speed, detonation timing and heat generated.

Squish clearance gives you a static reference point. Cranking compression is the other static reference point.

To build max power you have to factor in all of your specific conditions to build max power.

We would start with low compression say 110 cranking, and .085” squish clearance. Watch plugs and piston tops for signs of detonation. Dark brown is good. Powder black start of detonation, then gray, then white its melting.

Then decrease squish to .080” / 120 psi cranking compression then retest, check plugs. (Everything else being the same, fuel etc.)

If you are methodical you can build max power for the fuel type you have. Most didn’t know or have skills or patience to do this.

Engines melted, people get mad, money burned. PSI melted away, even though they were building wild and expensive stuff.

I remember the 1050cc sportster twin was $12,500, 25 years ago..

Premium Features