• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

psi dial a dome heads

O
Apr 10, 2023
Centerville
I had a 925 PSI motor it was awesome ran it around a thousand miles. Got rid of it and got the 990cc psi big mistake. Total piece of ****. Ruined sledding for me. So went back to stock sleds with just a few mods. The sleds nowadays are insane. Just cost to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I was thinking about 125 PSI for 7000 ft so it looks like im in the ballpark.

measure squish clearance.. post it up.

Get a piece of soft plumbing solder, thread it through spark plug hole to cylinder wall. Rotate crank gently until piston smashes the solder. Full rotation past TDC. With calipers measure the flat spot on solder.

96STOMMY96

Dec 3, 2020
Idaho Falls
measure squish clearance.. post it up.

Get a piece of soft plumbing solder, thread it through spark plug hole to cylinder wall. Rotate crank gently until piston smashes the solder. Full rotation past TDC. With calipers measure the flat spot on solder.
So what is the difference between doing the squish test vs the Pressure gauge test? is one more accurate than the other? Are both vastly different?

96STOMMY96

Dec 3, 2020
Idaho Falls
You would need to set squish clearance as well as static cranking compression. The dial a domes allowed you to do this. Use soft solder pieces through spark plug holes then compress the solder. You measure squish clearance at edge of piston, between head an piston crown. Tighter squish equals higher compression and velocity during combustion.. Many factors go into what the proper distance is. Air temp, air density, fuel type, fuel octane, engine rpm, ignition timing, engine temp. All will change flame front speed, detonation timing and heat generated.

Squish clearance gives you a static reference point. Cranking compression is the other static reference point.

To build max power you have to factor in all of your specific conditions to build max power.

We would start with low compression say 110 cranking, and .085” squish clearance. Watch plugs and piston tops for signs of detonation. Dark brown is good. Powder black start of detonation, then gray, then white its melting.

Then decrease squish to .080” / 120 psi cranking compression then retest, check plugs. (Everything else being the same, fuel etc.)

If you are methodical you can build max power for the fuel type you have. Most didn’t know or have skills or patience to do this.

Engines melted, people get mad, money burned. PSI melted away, even though they were building wild and expensive stuff.

I remember the 1050cc sportster twin was $12,500, 25 years ago..
after thinking and discussing your reply with myself and some friends it makes so much more sense now and can adjust accordingly to get my wanted values for squish, appreciate the info. Did you run 110 VP Race fuel in it?

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
The squish area on PSI heads is nonadjustable the dome center is the adjustable part, It simply screws up and down .

Squish clearance is adjustable, squish area is not. Clearance is the distance between the piston and the dome at the outer squish band.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
Hmm I C U have never seen one off the engine. There just like any other head on the outer edge the dome adjustment is the comp change.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Interesting. The early set I had the entire dome including squish band moved up and down. Maybe a newer version changed that.. If the squish band is fixed you will still need to set that clearance using base gasket thickness then adjust the dome for cylinder cranking compression. You can have say 110 pounds of cranking compression and still detonate if squish clearance is too tight.

96STOMMY96

Dec 3, 2020
Idaho Falls
Interesting. The early set I had the entire dome including squish band moved up and down. Maybe a newer version changed that.. If the squish band is fixed you will still need to set that clearance using base gasket thickness then adjust the dome for cylinder cranking compression. You can have say 110 pounds of cranking compression and still detonate if squish clearance is too tight.
Appreciate the info!

Premium Features