• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Problems with SLP stage 3 kit

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
I have a buddy that has a 2012 800 Pro RMK with a SLP stage 3 kit in it. He had the kit installed by his dealer and has been having nothing but problems with the kit.

He says that the sled runs very good until he rides for about an hour or so and if he wants to do a long pull it starts to detonate and cuts his RPM's. He has the head for 6 to 9 thousand feet and rides 8 to 10 thousand feet. His dealer has replaced or adjusted everything that they can and every time he takes the sled out it has the same problem. His dealer has added more fuel to the PCV also. He wants to sell the sled and be done with it. I think it is something simple that is causing the problem. Somebody has to of had the same problem with their sled.

I am a Cat guy and don't know much about the Polaris side of things, but to me if it is detonating it must be from a lack of fuel or not a good enough fuel. He said that he has added Klotz to his fuel and it has not made a difference. I told him that I would try and help him and I would put a post up on here and see what everybody thinks and I would go from there. The thing that I don't understand is why it will run top notch for an hour or so and then start to detonate. He said that once it starts to detonate it just keeps getting worse and more often. If anybody has a suggestion on where to look your help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Hard to see things on the `net.

Visual things like is DET displayed or just a shut down, any codes present, spark plug look right after issue?

Installation things like was the TPS set then synced to the PCV, are the weights heavy enough, were the correct domes installed, were aftermarket pistons installed that don`t match the SLP head (or was it something else) hence improper CR or squish angle, does the pipe have enough clearance?

Mechanical things like are the valves functioning correctly, exhaust sealing, injector condition, stator-voltage reg. function, inline and in-tank filters, crank seal or seals?

If you "look" at the "runs good until tank is half full" scenario you may find a tank venting issue, marginal fuel pump hence pressure issue, front smart valve leaking air or fuel line joint or maybe it's always there and the throttle isn't used til after "you reach the hills"?

It's just hard to see things on the 'net. A good tech would start at the beginning and look at one thing at a time if the sled came back more than once.

Last edited:
M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
that sounds like electrical issues. I have seen that in the past with bad stators and such where after a certain amount of time they would start to run hot and cause all sorts off poor running problems. Let them cool down and they would run fantastic again only to start with problems after a while

new or used sled?
mileage?

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
The sled is a 2012 with 430 miles on it, he has owned it since new. It never missed a beat until he put the kit on, he wanted more power. I have not ridden with him when he has been riding this sled, it is always at the dealer getting something changed or fixed so it will hopefully run the next time he takes it out. He said that he has well over $14000 into the sled with the SLP kit and all of the money he is paying for them to try and fix it. I have not looked at the sled yet. The only thing I know about it is what he tells me. The next problem is he doesn't have any mechanical ability and when I ask him about what is happening when it does this, he doesn't know. I can't even take the sled and ride it myself, because I have a neck injury. I just told him I would try and help, but it is hard to put your hands on something when it is on the net. He rattled off a big list of parts that the dealer has replaced and checked already. I will have to talk to him more and get the list and post it here and see if anybody has a better idea where to go. Thanks geo and mickyd32.

Last edited:

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Sounds like he simply needs more weight in the primary. But if your friend has no mechanical ability as you say he should of just left his machine stock as the simplest mods. Need attention

BLSDEEP

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman
Can you be more specific about the symptoms?
Detonation isn't always that simple to diagnose. If it was truly detonating it would have seized a piston by now. Is it missing and or backfiring?
More specifics please.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
The sled is a 2012 with 430 miles on it, he has owned it since new. It never missed a beat until he put the kit on, he wanted more power. I have not ridden with him when he has been riding this sled, it is always at the dealer getting something changed or fixed so it will hopefully run the next time he takes it out. He said that he has well over $14000 into the sled with the SLP kit and all of the money he is paying for them to try and fix it. I have not looked at the sled yet. The only thing I know about it is what he tells me. The next problem is he doesn't have any mechanical ability and when I ask him about what is happening when it does this, he doesn't know. I can't even take the sled and ride it myself, because I have a neck injury. I just told him I would try and help, but it is hard to put your hands on something when it is on the net. He rattled off a big list of parts that the dealer has replaced and checked already. I will have to talk to him more and get the list and post it here and see if anybody has a better idea where to go. Thanks geo and mickyd32.

If you could tell us the list of parts that have been replaced it would help eliminate possibilities we come up with....

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Make sure the pipe is not in contact with any portion of the bulkhead. If it is, the vibrations can reverberate back to the engine and set off the det sensor. Got this info from the shop supervisor at SLP as they had a sled in and were diagnosing (scratching their heads) why it kept hitting det and finally found this to be the problem.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Motor mounts getting soft after warming up causing pipe or can to viberate maybe? Could be a bad motor mount as well. I would also check all ground wires.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
SLP stage 3

SLP pipe and can
SLP head; dependant on elevation
PCV
Clutching (optional)
SLP intake (optional)
V force reeds (optional)

After giving that list. The optional equipment is not requiresd. I've run mine for three years without a hiccup with non of the optional equipment, to each his own, I'm at 1800'

Clutching can cause det I ran with 2 different springs one caused over rev det code one did not, no other changes made for that occur

Poor fuel will absolutely cause intermittent det codes, I can tell as soon as someone pumps me **** fuel. 5 miles in I'm bringing out octane boost to stabilize

What head does he have. Maybe he's running the wrong head for his elevation. Also isi the cheater SLP head or can you see the stamping on it? Need to know what he has

What PCV map is he on? Could be an old revision, the wrong map. A bad instal it something else with mapping. There are ways of easily checking this

Does he have the power commander map switch? (Optional equipment) but it could be on the wrong map as well

I can go on here but hard to diagnose without a sled to look at

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
if the det sensor was over tightened on the head when they replaced it it makes it more sensitive. might want to check it.

Premium Features