• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PRO vs Doo

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Ya I know this might cause a bit of bashing on here but I want to be realistic here. I love my PRO and would never change to a Doo right now but a couple days ago I went riding with my buddy that got a new '15 Doo. He got the 163 and my '14 PRO is a 155 so I know he has a touch more track than I do, but It seemed to me like his sled had more power and could climb high than my PRO. Just wondering if anyone else has made these observations. I really wish the PRO could get a few more ponies out of the box like the Doo seems to have. Both sleds are stock and we weigh about the same. With that said I rode his just a mile or so and I still love the way the PRO handles better and would not trade it for anything. I guess if nothing else it makes it just a bit more challenging for me to go the same places and I love a challenge. :face-icon-small-hap

What is everyone else's thoughts?

Anyway here is just a teaser of our ride from a couple days ago.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Ya I know this might cause a bit of bashing on here but I want to be realistic here. I love my PRO and would never change to a Doo right now but a couple days ago I went riding with my buddy that got a new '15 Doo. He got the 163 and my '14 PRO is a 155 so I know he has a touch more track than I do, but It seemed to me like his sled had more power and could climb high than my PRO. Just wondering if anyone else has made these observations. I really wish the PRO could get a few more ponies out of the box like the Doo seems to have. Both sleds are stock and we weigh about the same. With that said I rode his just a mile or so and I still love the way the PRO handles better and would not trade it for anything. I guess if nothing else it makes it just a bit more challenging for me to go the same places and I love a challenge. :face-icon-small-hap

first off, his is GEARED way lower than your pro, His sled also has a 163 3" track and yours has a 155 2.4" track

Gear yours just as low and put on the same track and see what happens.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
that track difference alone is huge not only is it a 163 but probably 16 wide as well your not even close to apples to apples comparison. But the doos do rip

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
So do many of you guys have the 163" track on the PRO and can tell a difference from the 155" ?

well....guys in our group went from 2011 155s to 2013 163s, so the belt drive and other stuff changed but yah they were for sure better in the deep.

my 163 pro is 100 times better than my 155 dragon.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Hmm... Interesting. Thanks for your input. I may need to look into getting a 163" for the next sled I buy.
the 163*16*3" on the doo is absurdely better. SO much more track in the deep. its like adding 20-30 hp but it just makes them crank along as they manage to find traction every which way they can.

dont worry so much on the gearing guys, the ski-doo TRA has a 15% overdrive ratio on the clutching where a poo only goes 1:1, so thats why they can run lower gearing and still move down the trail.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I dont buy the fact that 4-6 more paddles in the snow make that much of a difference. Could be wrong and not saying it doesn't help just saying i cant see how much better it could be. might be more psychological then anything. i would think the width of the track and height of the lug does make more of a difference then length of the track

Last edited:

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I dont buy the fact that 4-6 more paddles in the snow make that much of a difference. Could be wrong and not saying it doesn't help just saying i cant see how much better it could be. might be more psychological then anything. i would think the width of the track and height of the lug does make more of a difference then length of the track

Flotation is night and day better from a 155 to a 163. Hard to believe but it is. Add the 3' paddles and even better yet. There is a thread in the doo section about the 174 3" and how wicked they are.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah

I feel the same, rode for 6+ years with 2 153 m7s and 1 162 m7 in our group and never seen the 162 do anything or go anywhere that the 153s couldn't. However the 153s do feel more nimble and responsive.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007

It all depends on the snow. Traction is a big factor in performance, along with horsepower and weight.

It will be interesting to review the T3 threads in March, April & May.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Actually yes snow is main factor. If you have 3 foot plus is where you notice the difference.

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
One of my riding buddies has a 3" 163 with a rolled chaincase on his Pro, the thing just rocks! Imo it's the best money you can spend on a Pro.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002

From the looks of this video you need to spend a little time fine tuning the rear skid, you have too much weight transfer and its hurting the climbing ability. A little adjustment goes a long way on making the 155" work better. Eric

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I'm a 155 rider and happy but there is a fair bit of advantage to a 163 even with only 4" extra floatation IMO.

If you do the math, there is about 8% more surface area (on the snow at any one time). Theoretically and not getting too into it , that means 8% more floatation from the track-rails. Floatation and traction are why the 174 3"ers are around.
Say the average on-the-snow weight of a sled, rider, snow, gear (2 strokes lol) is 800lbs. 8% more floatation should mean a 163 rides higher in the snow by about the same amount as a 155 that just lost 64 lbs.
64lbs is a lot to lose.

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
I have spent most of my sled time on 155ish sleds. In 11 and 12 on 155 pro's and the last two years on a 163 pro. I wouldn't go back to a 155. For my size and riding style, the 163 is hands down a better fit. This year I was gonna throw a 3" track on my pro, but when I found a T3 163 up for sale, I jumped on it rather than throwing money at a Pro that wouldn't be worth anything the next year. I have one solid ride on the T3 and am not looking back. Incredible ride, no adjustment period, and super fun. The T3 handles completely different than a standard XM. I can't wait for us to get dumped on again, to give some additional feedback, but so far I have no regrets and can see myself on this sled for a while.

Premium Features