• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary Clutch Spring 09 M8

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Here's another one of those probably anoying questions. I did a search and couldnt really find anything?

I run a otherwis stock 09 M8 153." the dealer set it up with 68 gram weights in the primary with the stock spring. I ride from 10'000-12'500ish.

Is there anything to be gained from changing out just the primary spring? My understanding is that a heavier spring, helps keep the RPM at altitude ?

If so what spring ?

Thanks

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Yes, a higher total force primary spring can and probably will gain you RPMs on top. If you aren't piped and are spinning 7,400 RPM with the stock 120/285total force primary spring. Then going to a SLP Black/Pink 120/340 would allow your engine to rev to a slightly higher RPM (roughly 200 RPM give or take) to allow you to hit your target RPM of a 7,600 RPM shift speed.

We need to know a little more information.

What RPM are turning now while climbing at these altitudes?

Are you running the stock pipe?

You can also "fine tune" your shift speed with your secondary but, your primary weights and spring are the primary determining factors in reaching your target shift RPM.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Yes, a higher total force primary spring can and probably will gain you RPMs on top. If you aren't piped and are spinning 7,400 RPM with the stock 120/285total force primary spring. Then going to a SLP Black/Pink 120/340 would allow your engine to rev to a slightly higher RPM (roughly 200 RPM give or take) to allow you to hit your target RPM of a 7,600 RPM shift speed.

We need to know a little more information.

What RPM are turning now while climbing at these altitudes?

Are you running the stock pipe?

You can also "fine tune" your shift speed with your secondary but, your primary weights and spring are the primary determining factors in reaching your target shift RPM.

Stock pipe with a slp can.

To be honest, I have never looked at the gauge while climbing, cant read it anyways. It seems to run just fine I just wanted to make sure it was clutched properly, I know my older sled took a stiffer spring.

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Stock spring in my M8 SP isn't Titanium. Yellow/White steel spring. Every Ti spring I've seen is a dark gray color. HCR is probably a Ti spring?

Try a Cat orange/white if you want a few more RPM's. Engagement is a tad bit higher though.

Premium Features