• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 w/ MDS clutching

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
whos running MDS clutching in the 18+? ive been running MDS since 2018 and i thought it was working well until last year and i had a few buddies ride it and they said there was something wrong. i ran MDS in my old 2012 and loved it but last year i couldnt pull RPM and it just didnt seem to feel right. had to pull a pile of weight to keep 8200ish. running 75.8g tip loaded with a white/red primary spring. compression is good. 2018 162 with belt drive. is there anything better for the 18+? i used to run CPC/dalton and loved the ease of adjustment but was sold on the "power to the track" claims of the MDS. was thinking of going back to stock just to try so i can see the difference.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
figured i should pull the primary to inspect and found identical wear on all 3 weights. what causes this? probably only 800 miles on these. rollers show zero damage and roll just fine318360174_526160552729653_5501966499149884224_n.jpg318606248_705314047534583_4463781883087515238_n.jpg

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I know on the ‘20 and ‘21 team clutches something was different and Mds was hit and miss on whether they work, I have a basically brand new set sitting on the shelf because my ‘20 wouldn’t pull them and I forgot about the money back guarantee, but it’s probably to late now. they seem pretty popular on the ‘18-19 clutches though.

That’s interesting wear, almost like the weight was bouncing or rattling against the rollers or something

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Weights will all wear on the back side eventually, but not in 800 miles unless there's a problem or they were not hardened properly. Something causing the shift to stall. Running a dual angle helix?

Running MDS in my second 2018 clutch on my Suzuki engine and wasn't overly impressed. Last week I discovered the belt to sheave clearance on this clutch is almost 0.100". Probably causing issues on the bottom end where the MDS profile is real steep.

PXL_20221206_052526499.jpg

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
Weights will all wear on the back side eventually, but not in 800 miles unless there's a problem or they were not hardened properly. Something causing the shift to stall. Running a dual angle helix?

Running MDS in my second 2018 clutch on my Suzuki engine and wasn't overly impressed. Last week I discovered the belt to sheave clearance on this clutch is almost 0.100". Probably causing issues on the bottom end where the MDS profile is real steep.

View attachment 396964
stock secondary

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I have them on my 20, 16, and 08. They all run really good. I am running a 45 degree helix in both the 16 and 20.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
Well Steve replied to me at 10pm on a Saturday (did I mention his customer service is the best?) He's sending a whole new kit with an updated primary spring just to make sure there wasn't something funky going on there. He thinks the hardening didn't get to Rockwell 52 standard

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Add me to the list of MDS fan boys! Steve has always taken care of me as well and I am glad he is taking care of you as well. I ran MDS weights in my 09 M8 and was blown away at the difference over the stock weights. I have them in my 2015 M8000 and they work great. I have them in my Team primary on my 2020 Hardcore and they were pulling very well. I didn't know how well they were working until I saw all the carnage pictures from exploding Team clutches and installed the Adapt primary. To date, I still haven't been able to get the Adapt to pull as hard as the Team clutch did. I have MDS weights in my Adapt clutch now as well and will be doing my best to get it dialed in. My Team primary is still set up with MDS weights and doesn't have any visible cracks and I am tempted to throw it back on and see if my "butometer" was right about it pulling harder than the Adapt clutch (both with MDS weights).

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
ill be using his clutching from here on out no doubt because of the service. i had no doubts that he would get me taken care of just from what ive heard but i was surprised when there really wasnt any questions asked and got back to me at 10pm on a saturday. hard to find service like this now a days

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
He's contacted me after hours too. I called in and ordered a set of weight bushings, and he called me back when he saw the order and was curious why I needed them since they normally don't wear out in the Team clutches. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have a problem going on.

CISC0

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2010
PNW=WA
Steve is legit, also every sled is going to be a little different. And constantly changing as stuff wears in.
At end of the day it is about service

F
Jan 2, 2013
Add me to the list of MDS fan boys! Steve has always taken care of me as well and I am glad he is taking care of you as well. I ran MDS weights in my 09 M8 and was blown away at the difference over the stock weights. I have them in my 2015 M8000 and they work great. I have them in my Team primary on my 2020 Hardcore and they were pulling very well. I didn't know how well they were working until I saw all the carnage pictures from exploding Team clutches and installed the Adapt primary. To date, I still haven't been able to get the Adapt to pull as hard as the Team clutch did. I have MDS weights in my Adapt clutch now as well and will be doing my best to get it dialed in. My Team primary is still set up with MDS weights and doesn't have any visible cracks and I am tempted to throw it back on and see if my "butometer" was right about it pulling harder than the Adapt clutch (both with MDS weights).
Have you checked your Roller to weight clearance between the 2 clutchs? Does the Team feel it pulls harder all the way through or more so on top?

I was told the adapts version of mds weight were seeing more track speed than the team version of mds.. so thats odd to hear they dont seem to pull as hard.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Firecat225, I have not measured the weight to roller clearance. I just noticed that after swapping from the Team to the Adapt clutch that the sled had the perception that it just didn't seem to pull quite as hard. That may have been because it wasn't dialed in yet or maybe because it's lighter weight and has less fly wheel effect. ?‍♂️

F
Jan 2, 2013
Yeah could be. I thought I heard from steve that they put down identical power on the load cell. So hopefully its just needing more dialing in. And hopefully they do help increase track speed.

Roller to weight could make a difference in either low to mid, or top end. Lots of variables

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
After changing weights, I recommend a new secondary. Then you will know which item gave the best improvement. After seeing the damage in the primary, the secondary will likely have some damage and/or issues. Team boss secondaries are kind of a throw away item unfortunately. Report back findings. Good luck whatever direction you go!

Premium Features