• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary clutch issues?

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Bringing this back up again
I was cleaning and checking my 2019 clutch. No cracks yet but found out the moveable sheave dosent bottom out on the stationary sheave. I didn't measure it but it looks to be enough to cose a future problem.
What is the proper way to fix this problem?

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Bringing this back up again
I was cleaning and checking my 2019 clutch. No cracks yet but found out the moveable sheave dosent bottom out on the stationary sheave. I didn't measure it but it looks to be enough to cose a future problem.
What is the proper way to fix this problem?

Send it to Indy Dan and have them shim it and add their cover. That’s why those covers are exploding. There are a few threads about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Send it to Indy Dan and have them shim it and add their cover. That’s why those covers are exploding. There are a few threads about it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks
I thought that I read that some guys were removing some material from the spider nut area to allow the cover to let the moveable sheave move closer to the stationary sheave?
I like Indy Dans work but sending my clutch to him from Canada right now could take an unknown length of time

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Now a member of the crack club!!!. 2019 Alpha @ 900 miles-
Cleaned prior to every trip and upon starting my routine clutch cleaning found the crack right after a 62 miles ride in the backcountry- and getting ready to head out the next morning.....
She is a small one BUT- Deadly !!!!

Cracked Team Clutch.jpg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

Thanks
I thought that I read that some guys were removing some material from the spider nut area to allow the cover to let the moveable sheave move closer to the stationary sheave?
I like Indy Dans work but sending my clutch to him from Canada right now could take an unknown length of time
I haven't heard of anyone doing a "fix" for that clearance issue yet. Someone said the 911 cover has enough clearance but IDK for sure.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Had one leg of the spider break off at 1k miles. Was at 8k rpm and was lucky to have it hit the support piece of the front of the running board and not go out of the body. broke my cpc adjustable right in half.
Just put on my second belt of the year and cat cover the belt.View attachment 333841View attachment 333842
Which broke first? the clutch or the weight?

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
^interesting point.
it was my understanding that M.Y. '20 and up clutches are now shimmed correctly so cover isnt the stop anymore. ?
anybody on a 20 or 21 with exploding clutch?

I'm curious about this too, although there are 2020's in here with the same cracks.

I haven't seen a 2021 with a failure thus far - I'm thinking because there aren't many high mile units yet? I'm not sure. I have 500 miles on my 21 so far this season.... We'll see how long it lasts

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
800 to 1200 is the time too keep track. We have one with 2600 and still in good shape and ridden hard. It is looking worn-out tho.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
My 2020 had cracks way worse than that at about 875 miles. I always blow the clutch out and pull it every 200 miles or so to look at, and service and clean it. Glad I pulled it the last time because it probable would have exploded on the next ride. Dealer told me he had never seen one crack, and wasn't interested in talking to cat about it. Sled was about a month and a half out of warranty.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I'm curious about this too, although there are 2020's in here with the same cracks.

I haven't seen a 2021 with a failure thus far - I'm thinking because there aren't many high mile units yet? I'm not sure. I have 500 miles on my 21 so far this season.... We'll see how long it lasts
I pulled my clutch off and tore it apart. I can confirm my sheaves touched before my cover bottomed out. It’s cracked right in line with one of the weights. Not sure if that means anything. ‘20 mtn cat.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
My 2020 had cracks way worse than that at about 875 miles. I always blow the clutch out and pull it every 200 miles or so to look at, and service and clean it. Glad I pulled it the last time because it probable would have exploded on the next ride. Dealer told me he had never seen one crack, and wasn't interested in talking to cat about it. Sled was about a month and a half out of warranty.
I know of a claim that was just over one year after warranty and AC step up and covered the claim. This was for a exploded clutch.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Maybe the secret is to neglect your clutch maintenance, since it seems like it's always the folks that blow out their clutches and keep them clean, that get the cracks ?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
My clutch cracked at 4k km, I'm a pretty conservative rider. I thought I was fine but turns out nope! Glad I caught it and always checked between rides.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i checked after another 140 mile trip clutch has 1800 on it now and no cracks but im running the adapt from now on and the next owner can have stock clutch when i sell it.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Heck- I have been selling the parts off my Team clutch, since peeps cant get replacement parts for them. Help to offset the spendy adapt..
I am running the BMP Snypr weights in my New adapt clutch- seems to be pretty solid combination.

Adapt.jpg

Last edited:

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
i checked after another 140 mile trip clutch has 1800 on it now and no cracks but im running the adapt from now on and the next owner can have stock clutch when i sell it.
What's your secret!? Do you end up riding a fair amount of trails? Do you have good favor with the arctic cat gods?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
we only ride trails to get to the back country. We do a little of everything, some hillcliming alot of playing in trees and tight creeks and crevices just started doing some jumps. I was nervous on the last trip running my stock clutch while the adapt was sitting at home waiting the little washers that go on the sides of the weights. the new clutch gives alot more clearance between the side panel, and it also looks pretty strong and machined nicely.

Premium Features