• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PR2 Racing-New Throttle Body Modifications with your PR2 ECU

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So honestly I have an 18 450sxf and my friend a 17 450sxf. He went Vortex I went Get. Really both have been great but having the wifi app is pretty awesome for on the fly changes, error code reads and tps setting easily... but we have not had any issues like stated.. he had access to a dyno in which he set it up... to me if your going to spend the money on the ecu get it dynoed.

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

R
Sep 15, 2010
I put a Vortex ECU in my 2018 FE501 fresh out of the crate. The bike would start and die every cold start, bike would always fire up normally the second time. Other then the initial cold start issue the bike always ran strong and never missed a beat. I adjusted the throttle as mentioned in the above video as well, no change So, last spring when Slavens Racing released the GET ECU with their alleged proprietary tuning I bought one. Put the GET in the bike, set the TPS as instructed. The bike would fire and stay running every cold start. Initially I was pumped, that is until I got a few miles on the bike and noticed a lean pop on decel, a backfire at WOT around 8k RPM and the bike would also die under a WOT pull shifting from 5th to 6th gear. I called and spoke to Jeff at Slavens, first he had me change some settings myself which made no difference. He then had me send the ECU to him, I was told he didn't see anything wrong with it. Also was told that he spoke to GET andwas told the dying during during an upshift after an overrev is normal and that I shouldn't be revving my bike that high. The best part about him telling me not to rev the bike that high is, I had initially requested that the rev limiter be set at +200 RPM over stock, rather then the +400 RPM they were setting the GET ECU's at. He told me that +200 RPM is a waste of time and wouldn't be noticed, so he'd set it at +400RPM and if I didn't like it, he'd change it back. That all changed when my bike was dying during WOT pulls, then it was I shouldn't be revving the bike that high. Anyway, he updated updated the software. I had been riding the bike with the Vortex while the GET was gone and realized how much better my bike felt, it pulled harder and had absolutely no issues with backfiring or lean decel popping. When the GET arrived back to me, I immediately put it back on the bike went a mile down the county road I live on and guess what, it backfired at around 8k RPM just like it had been doing all along. I came back home, put the Vortex back in and that GET has been sitting in my toolbox since.
Fast forward to August, I'm getting ready to turn my bike into a snow bike. I called Jeff at PR2, I liked what he had to say, we discussed the cold start issue that I've had with the ECU. I decided to send him my Vortex, he did 5x5 mapping (5 dirtbike/5 snow bike maps) The weekend after christmas 2019 I took the bike to Wyoming for it's maiden snow bike trip. The bike starts and dies cold every time and is hard starting sometimes when warm. The bike runs flawless otherwise. I spoke to him about the issue when I returned home, he gave me a couple things to try, before sending the Vortex back to him. I haven't been back out west yet to try out what we discussed.
The other day PR2 posted about mapping Vortex and GET ECU's. I immediately called Jeff at PR2 and explained the issues I've had with my GET ECU that has Slaven's mapping in it. I ended up sending my GET to him as well. I'm confident that he will fix the issues with the GET ECU as well. I hope I get the GET back before our next trip next weekend, so I can try it out and compare it aginst the Vortex in the snow. The Vortex is superior on pavement and dirt in my opinion. Maybe it's just the poor Slaven's mapping, but i hope to find out.
Anyway, it's not just PR2 that has some issues. it's everybody! These issues are to be expected when purchasing ECU's that have the same mapping for (in my case) 3yrs of bikes 17-19. As everybody knows, there are no 2 bikes that will make the same power with the same map. I had a similar issue when having my diesel truck tuned, my truck didn't like the original tunes I received. I spent the better part of 4 weeks, doing data logs every night, emailing them off, downloading the new tunes the next day and repeating. It sucked and I was pissed, but in the end they nailed the tunes, my truck runs hard and the tunes are clean.
Hopefully PR2 will get the Vortex starting issues figured out. Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to share my experience and make it known that it's not just PR2 having issues.

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
For sure the maps are the the name of the game.... There are big differences in intakes and engine set ups so it is wise to dyno the bike exactly how your going to run it... I was amazed the difference between a k and n cone filter, an open filter and stock... we are talking 4hp swings and fueling differences depending on the option and set up.

C
Apr 22, 2019
I have a PR2 Vortex ECU on my uncorked 2020 ktm 500 xcf-w here in the Seatle area...and the bike starts and runs flawlessly...definitely pulls stronger than the stock ECU, and Jeff is super easy to work with. I give a big thumbs up to PR2.

Chris
Bottom Line Racing

R
Sep 15, 2010
Update to my original post from last season. I worked with Jeff to get the cold start issue resolved, he also made some fueling adjustments to the mapping (my bike wanted more fuel through the mid and top end) and now my bike runs great. Jeff has always been very easy and eager to get any situation or concern handled. Jeff has provided me with AAAA+++ service and is very knowledgeable. I will be running the same setup this year, other than bike will have a 12:5:1 piston this season. I never tried the GET ECU last season as I was focused on getting the Vortex dialed in. I do plan on running the GET ECU this season and will post after I have some time on it.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
there must be another Jeff because he was virtually useless when I contacted him regarding my PR2 not allowing my bike to start worth ****. im not the only one either. the bike will NOT start with the pr2 ecm in (but runs great once it does)... if I throw the stock ecm on, it fires up instantly (but isnt the proper map for the big bore kit).

ive emailed them a few times and basically told theres nothing they can do about it and im SOL as theres 3 diff cam profiles for that motor or something. he wouldnt look at my map, wouldnt adjust my map. nothing. im no rocket scientist but I dont think its that hard to adjust it a tad so my bike still start at idle. something clearly isnt right with my tune on my PR2

im not impressed at all having a bike that wont start with this PR2 ECM. total waste of money and horrible customer service on my end.

several other members here have had this problem last year too. not cool. cant wait to deal with a bike that wont start all winter again.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
PR2 worked well on the 500,s. Our 450s ran horrible ,loss of power and drank fuel. Stock ECU flawless and then added C3 and they run very well, its programmed and outsourced at this time and now C3 is developing a new ECU exclusively by them. I believe Kevin said it is in the Dyno stage at this time, I will get Juan to compare .

C
Apr 22, 2019
there must be another Jeff because he was virtually useless when I contacted him regarding my PR2 not allowing my bike to start worth ****. im not the only one either. the bike will NOT start with the pr2 ecm in (but runs great once it does)... if I throw the stock ecm on, it fires up instantly (but isnt the proper map for the big bore kit).

ive emailed them a few times and basically told theres nothing they can do about it and im SOL as theres 3 diff cam profiles for that motor or something. he wouldnt look at my map, wouldnt adjust my map. nothing. im no rocket scientist but I dont think its that hard to adjust it a tad so my bike still start at idle. something clearly isnt right with my tune on my PR2

im not impressed at all having a bike that wont start with this PR2 ECM. total waste of money and horrible customer service on my end.

several other members here have had this problem last year too. not cool. cant wait to deal with a bike that wont start all winter again.

Any reputable motorcycle dyno shop can get the license from vortex and the serial number off your unit...along with the proper cable, and reprogram your vortex to your particular bike setup while on the dyno. It really is the only way to get the max amount of power and reliability.

Chris

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I dont have the swing arm or rear wheel, the closest shop is 2 hours away, the shop doesnt have the license nor would Jeff even respond to my issue last winter when I emailed him twice about it, nor do they have the cable you speak of. that sounds like about another $1000 fix when its all said and done with between driving, the cable, dyno runs, shop time, etc, etc.

the bike runs decent when its going.. its just starting it struggled with and its a documented thing with these PR2 ECMs. extremely frustrating. plug the stock ECM in and its running within 1/4 second of the starter button being hit.

it shouldnt have to see a dyno to be fixed IMO.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I would try manually setting the tps... for me it solved all starting issues with the get ecu (setting tps in the ecu does not work as well) ... see link below... there are many on YouTube.. I would agree you should not have this problem after spending the money. Other option is having g it reprogrammed by someone else... should only be a couple hundred bucks.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
From my previous findings, the 450 race bikes only benefit from ECU's if you don't run engine blankets / overfuel. the 500's and DS 450s are where the ECU's really come into play.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I agree. When the PR2 came out I thought it would be a game changer. A well known member on here talked it up big time. Maybe he was getting paid? Didn’t make a bit of difference besides not over fueling. Although my bike was not over fueling because I was running at correct temperature anyway. For those of us who already had our bikes running correctly the difference was about zero

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
We popped ECU's in 450SXF and 501's... the 501s felt like they had more power than the 450sxf's with RAZE ecu's. The difference was completely ridiculous. Had to run ethanol premium, very specific on gas requirement. revved to the moon on those 501's tons of overrev power.

Premium Features