• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Coating Wheels, talk to me!

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
I have a set of chrome plated alloy/aluminum wheels. Chrome is thin and coming off as well as bubbling due to corrosion underneath. Can they be blasted and powder coated? What are the options? :beer;

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
I had that exact situation happen. I spoke to the lads at Schwab, and Discount, and they all agreed, the powder coat holds up best to the de-ice solution they use on the roads.

I had my wheels sandblasted. I told them they were going to be powdercoated, so they knew how much to blast off, and then took them to a powder coat shop. I'm fortunate that my neighbor runs a powder coat shop, and they just got their own blast shop open. I can refer you if you PM me. They did a GREAT job. I wanted black, and he recommended a 60% gloss, as its the toughest of all the gloss levels. So far, very very happy.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Anyone care to share the approximate cost per wheel for powdercoating an aluminum wheel that currently is clearcoated?

I have 5 wheels that I need to do something with.

Most wheels should be $75 each blasted and coated in a single coat process.Wheels over 20" should be a few more $$ for the set.The key is make sure they are prepped right=degreased/stripped and sandblasted.Some powders are better for wheels than others.Super Durable wet colors are tough,here is a set of Toyota rims in SD wet black.I prefer the Satin finish or Flats though...shiny is out!Sorry its only an after pic Whitefish.
toyrim1-1.jpg

D
Sep 13, 2002
Airdrie, AB
ttt, more pics needed, i'm doing my floe gullwing rims (all 5) and a buddy wants his done too, as they are chipped and rusting is starting....need to address them as the rest of my rig is perfection. i know Top Gun does awesome work here in Calgary....but i may be able to buy new rims for less money...things like this are expensive here.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
About 10 days ago I called a local tire store which does powder coating of rims. I told them I had 5 aluminum/alloy rims from a Toyota which had chipping and peeling of the clear coat and asked them if they could powder coat.

They told me they wouldn't recommend powder coating such rims because they haven't had good luck with alluminum/alloy wheels. Tough to get a good bond. I didn't ask for details as to why.

I'm not sure why it would be so much different than painting, but I guess my clearcoat finish is coming off now so who knows.

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
The chrome was coming off my 20 inch truck rims about 2 months after I bought it already bought a new set of 20x12 aluminum rims but they are too wide without fender cutouts.So it would be nice too get the old ones powder coated for a reasonable price.Anybody need a set of dick cepek ford rims 20x12?

Premium Features