• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris vs Ski Doo Chassis Differences

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
Snowest has this nice side by side picture. (Thank you).

Ski doo looks like less taper on tunnel, thicker tunnel height wise, shallower approach angle on track, lay down spindle geometry, and balance closer to rider position.

The balance makes sense since ski doo is more wheelie happy and hard to keep nose down. Ski doo cutting some weight off back of sled somehow I think would help handling.

Spindle geometry change being rolled out on freeride will also be one to watch.

Both great sleds. Just thinking about the differences.

1787EE61-A23E-49B8-AE4E-FE2E49F48861.jpeg

E
Dec 19, 2007
I would argue that the Khaos is more wheelie happy... Either way, it is all how you set up the suspension. The spindle on the Freeride next year is starting to head in the right direction. The aftermarket has had that figured out since the Gen 4. Not sure why they ever went with that lay down spindle design (only on the deep snow sleds ironically enough) as none of the other previous years sleds had anything like that. And, by from what is being presented for why they are doing it on the Freeride next year it will make steering easier and more precise... Why wouldn't you want that on all the sleds? You're right, both good sleds overall.

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
Yep fair point about suspension setup and geometry being a huge factor for wheelies.

A tipped back spindle makes the ski point more upwards when sidehilling. Ski doo tried to fix this with stiffer ski rubber, but tipping spindle forward would help more. The biggest issue with ski doo in my opinion is the front end trying to go uphill on a steep sidehill compared to Polaris.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I prefer the ride and handling of my Polaris rigs, AXYS 850 SKS and Matryx SBXC 650 over Doo’s. Polaris needs to do away with the stock center port hole and get more floatation as I have changed tracks on my 850.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
People can discuss differences all day long and make arguments why which one is better. I've owned A LOT of sleds over the years, of which a fair amount have been Polaris. For the most part, I've been happy with all of them. But currently and over the past number of years, I wouldn't ride anything with the name Polaris on it. I'm sure the company has great people working for it that try hard every day to produce quality products, but the company is failing. I believe it's a leadership problem. A mindset. You can say it's the plandemic, whatever excuses you want, but no company should have that many recalls/stop rides. I have two friends that own Poo dealerships and both are plagued with problems. At one point, every product they sold had recalls. They couldn't sell anything from Polaris. There better be a culture change within the company.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
People can discuss differences all day long and make arguments why which one is better. I've owned A LOT of sleds over the years, of which a fair amount have been Polaris. For the most part, I've been happy with all of them. But currently and over the past number of years, I wouldn't ride anything with the name Polaris on it. I'm sure the company has great people working for it that try hard every day to produce quality products, but the company is failing. I believe it's a leadership problem. A mindset. You can say it's the plandemic, whatever excuses you want, but no company should have that many recalls/stop rides. I have two friends that own Poo dealerships and both are plagued with problems. At one point, every product they sold had recalls. They couldn't sell anything from Polaris. There better be a culture change within the company.
agreed. I have nothing against Polaris but at this stage, I would never buy one.
polaris should have taken the first 5 or so minutes during their’24 reveal to reassure buyers about whatever things they’re putting in place to improve quality after the fiasco of all their stop sales/rides/recalls.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
My thoughts after spending 500 miles of mountain riding on each sled this season; 22' boost 155x2.75. vs 23' G5 turbo expert 154 3".
First both are phenomenal sleds and you'd be happy on either one. My 22' only got great after I put a lynx 3" track on it and got the Polaris 23' updated tune. You just can't beat the low end throttle response of the doo, its always been that way with skidoo and it ran perfect all season. Part of the amazing low end Ill attribute to the doo having a longer stroke. The doo would beat the 22' Polaris power wise in a hill climb every time until I got the 23' tune and the Lynx track on the boost, that really woke up the Polaris and it outshined the doo for the rest of the season on the top end. Then I got the maptune stage 1 on the doo and it edged out the Polaris by a small margin. I really prefer the matryx chassis in super technical tree riding, just seems more predicable to me and a little easier to get on edge. They are both super capable though and I wouldn't hesitate to ride either one for the day. As far as wheelies go, once you set up the doo suspension the front end coming up was easily manageable. You could get the right amount of ski lift when you wanted and needed it. On the khaos boost it pretty much didn't do much ski lift with the 2.75 track, just not enough grip with that track. With the 3" lynx track it was way better, not quite the wheelie machine as the doo, but there when you needed and wanted it. I really believe there are those who just fit better on one chassis or the other. Honestly I think the doo is better built, has less problems and pretty much needs nothing to compete in the mountains. The Polaris has a few issues that need attention and/or aftermarket parts to really shine, and the doo costs less MSRP.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My thoughts after spending 500 miles of mountain riding on each sled this season; 22' boost 155x2.75. vs 23' G5 turbo expert 154 3".
First both are phenomenal sleds and you'd be happy on either one. My 22' only got great after I put a lynx 3" track on it and got the Polaris 23' updated tune. You just can't beat the low end throttle response of the doo, its always been that way with skidoo and it ran perfect all season. Part of the amazing low end Ill attribute to the doo having a longer stroke. The doo would beat the 22' Polaris power wise in a hill climb every time until I got the 23' tune and the Lynx track on the boost, that really woke up the Polaris and it outshined the doo for the rest of the season on the top end. Then I got the maptune stage 1 on the doo and it edged out the Polaris by a small margin. I really prefer the matryx chassis in super technical tree riding, just seems more predicable to me and a little easier to get on edge. They are both super capable though and I wouldn't hesitate to ride either one for the day. As far as wheelies go, once you set up the doo suspension the front end coming up was easily manageable. You could get the right amount of ski lift when you wanted and needed it. On the khaos boost it pretty much didn't do much ski lift with the 2.75 track, just not enough grip with that track. With the 3" lynx track it was way better, not quite the wheelie machine as the doo, but there when you needed and wanted it. I really believe there are those who just fit better on one chassis or the other. Honestly I think the doo is better built, has less problems and pretty much needs nothing to compete in the mountains. The Polaris has a few issues that need attention and/or aftermarket parts to really shine, and the doo costs less MSRP.
Fantastic comparison. Sounds like a better running 24 Polaris Boost with the Series 9 track should be a good combo. Funny about the pricing because in Calgary the Polaris dealers always have been more competitive than the Doo dealer. Maybe because there are more Polaris dealers around?

E
Dec 19, 2007
Freeride and lynx spindle is not easier steering. It is more precise and less twitchy.
And this is a negative how? Maybe the layed out spindle is a bit easier to start with but then, as you say, gets twitchy and is more effort to bring back to center. Either way, why is a raked spindle only used in mountain sleds? None of the others are that way...

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
And this is a negative how? Maybe the layed out spindle is a bit easier to start with but then, as you say, gets twitchy and is more effort to bring back to center. Either way, why is a raked spindle only used in mountain sleds? None of the others are that way...
I don’t remember saying it was negative.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Do they have the slots like the Doo track? Those also let air through that pressurizes at the front of the tunnel.
slots on lynx, how about the 300lx track guys are running saying is better than polaris

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
is there "venting" on series 9?
They have 2 ports open at the drivers and I believe the center port is still open wide even though it won't ever be used for a driver. Polaris also opened up the clearance from track to exchanger so air can move through the tunnel better. Newer designs are reducing the pressure build up in the tunnels as a by-product. The 3.5" pitch driver slots being longer also helps evacuate more air than previous designs.

Premium Features