• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pics of R&D Kit Installed

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I don't know if patience is the right word. The set up looks good! Thank you for posting some pics. Let us know if it was worth the wait.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Jake did the install. I found a sled in WA last year,Jake picked it up for me and he installed the kit and we met in Whistler to test and ride in Feb. I had to work for a month straight at the Olympics so I only got 35 miles on the kit.Best numbers I saw were @ 8# boost 8000rpms and 67mph track speed. I changed the clutching a little and will ride this weekend to see what happens. This sled only has 137 miles on it so I will be taking it easy for a while then heading to the hills for some big pulls.I will let you know how it performs during break-in.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Did some riding in a field by my house today,just putting on miles.Elevation is low,only 2100 ft. and +8 degrees celsius.Very low and very warm for a turbo. Sled was good going down the trail and building boost as I was on and off the throttle.I hit the field and worked it thru the rpm band only to get high EGT temps..as expected.Turned out the power jets and tried again.Builds great boost across the field..8-9# lift the skis no problem.Plugs are good,clutching is good(engagement is 4600,gonna lower it a bit) sled is running well.Did this for a couple of hours until the powerjets were 2 full turns out and the EGT temps were ok.Boost is still around 8# and track speed is 70 mph(which means nothing as it is on corn snow on flat field).Running 100% VP 110 fuel with a little amsoil in the tank for the first tank or two,until I get some miles on it.Stayed off the rev limiter and no knock sensor codes or any codes. Pretty happy with everything so far,considering elevation,temp and new sled.Never held it wide open long enough to build max boost or track speed,obviously. This is a strong sled and I believe the kit is gonna rock.

When I had it on Brohm Ridge,the powerjets were all the way in @ 5000-6000ft elevation and I was makin short steep pokes when I got 67 mph at 8# and 8000 rpms. I got the numbers from the recall on the sled,which I reset b4 every climb. Once again,I believe this is a strong kit, and so, far real easy to use. Only thing I noticed is that you will have to adjust your idling screw when you turn the powerjets out this much.Will not be an issue in the mtns.

Hang in there boys...as I am very impressed so far.The real test will come when it is broken in and I get it to the mtns.BUT,REMEMBER,this is a turbo on an engine that only has 150 miles on it.IT WILL GET STRONGER!!!!!! I like to ride big hills at full throttle, so time will be the real test.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Did some more ridin in the fields today.Sled is responding very well during break-in. Was able to get 87mph on a catwalk today:face-icon-small-sho!!!! Damn thing just wants to rip your arms off:face-icon-small-hap Nothing changed from last test,just held it wide open for a few seconds.8# boost,8100 rpm and plugs are great. Was able to hold my hand on the charge tube right after playing.Clutches are warm but touchable and belt is about .25 from top of primary. No rev limiter.EGT flash in mid range but engine cools right down once you hit the throttle. 2100 ft and 2 deg celsius today.

What can I say...have to get some more miles on it and get to the mtns. I suspect the freakin thing is gonna kick *** in the hills. Well done so far Dave and Jake...well done.

S

sledrush

Oct 27, 2008
Colorado
Good to hear man.I've put roughly 180 miles on mine,and like you said,it wants to rip the arms out of the sockets.I'm extremely happy with mine now that the pipe is welded and carb boot girdles are installed.For those of you that havent ridden a TXP that is set up correctly,you should.I was riding with a group of about 20 guys from Utah this weekend (Yammi's, Poo's and Cats,most all turboed),and i think most were amazed at how well she was running.

S

sledrush

Oct 27, 2008
Colorado
I am heading to Clearwater this weekend to play with some turbo kittys..M8 and M1...should be fun.My buddy has a HD camera so I will try to get some film.

Hopefully your trip went better than mine.I hauled mine all the way to the West Yellowstone expo only to find that there wasn't enough snow to get stuck on a skateboard!So bummer...no riding for me.(Drank plenty of beers though!)

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
Sledrush,
You still plan on riding the Grand Mesa area this weekend?
How is the snow? Any new coming? If the 10 HIGH boys get there sleds fixed I will be joining them down there with ya.. Show me some good stuff would ya! If the snow is marginal then you need to come up the the Madres.
The snow is great and we are just starting to hit some of the REAL BIG chutes now!
DC

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Hey George\Sledrush, did you get your pipe fixed yet??? We need to hook up before it "slushes" out on the hill. I figured my TM1200s issue. It had a small tear in the belly pan under the clutch. It would funnel snow right to the belt. It was causing quite the little slipping issue. When the front end was up it was fine, the second I would let off the snow would do it's thing. Made for a few real interesting situations.

Anyway, maybe sometime this month we can hook up. I think the Butte is on the agenda for this weekend. Probably take the TM800.

Sam

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
My trip was a blast. New area,new snow,new friends and good whisky...what could be better. Sled ran pretty good. A little boggy past 5000 ft at bottom end, but it was warm outside. Getting great track speed and full shift out on clutching. had trouble building more than 10 lbs boost on the warmest day, around 13 deg cel. Damn thing is fast though,holy crap !!! Gonna drop down to 15 pilots and try that.Had 1 loose carb clamp so that may have been my problem building boost. No leaks anywhere else and had my pipe welded as well. Gotta get rid of that bottom end bog,it is a real pisser.....

S

sledrush

Oct 27, 2008
Colorado
Hey George\Sledrush, did you get your pipe fixed yet??? We need to hook up before it "slushes" out on the hill. I figured my TM1200s issue. It had a small tear in the belly pan under the clutch. It would funnel snow right to the belt. It was causing quite the little slipping issue. When the front end was up it was fine, the second I would let off the snow would do it's thing. Made for a few real interesting situations.

Anyway, maybe sometime this month we can hook up. I think the Butte is on the agenda for this weekend. Probably take the TM800.

Sam

Sorry Sam,Just read this.I spent the weekend filming on the mesa.Got some sweet vid/pix in the valleys.If you have a free day this week.p.m. me. As for the pipe,I welded the only part that I hadn't welded yet,and no problems since...Should have welded the whole thing in the first place.:face-icon-small-sho

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Put some 15 pilot jets in my sled and took it to the Calazon today. Couldnt get above 5000 ft but the sled ran flawlessly. definately crisper on the bottom end and way more instantaneous power.Prety happy with it. The guys that were there with us were also very impressed with the power it was making. One was on a nytro 180 kit and the other had a modded M1.Hopefullt get into the alpine next week and try it out above 5000 ft.

Premium Features