• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Overheating?? Not Overheating?? Somebody help me out please!

S

Superjag

Jan 30, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Here's the deal: Have a 1994 EXT which I use as a back-up sled. I leave it a buddy's who lives out of town a bit so I don't have to trailer for a short ride near town. It's not a pretty sled, but it has always run like a top. Bone stock except for an Aaen pipe and a longer track. Took it out last weekend and the temp overheat light kept coming on. (It was 5 degrees outside and there was plenty of snow, so it should have been plenty cold...). Didn't seem to make much difference what rpms I ran at, it would always come on after a period of time. Coolant was full and no leaks. Burped it a couple of times just to make sure there were no air bubbles and there weren't any. Plenty of oil. Engine seemed fine otherwise, not boggy or anything like that. Both heat exchangers were warm but not overly so. Plugs look good. Here's the really weird part: Even if I let the sled cool down for an hour, when I started it back up, the temp light would come on within 30 seconds of the sled being running, and unless I'm completely wrong (I have been before), there is no way it is overheating in the first 30 seconds it's running. So that makes me think bad sensor or something.

My questions are: Where do I start? Should I just swap out the thermostat and temp sensor? Could it be a water flow (i.e. pump) issue? Truthfully, I feel as though its not actually overheating based on what I'm seeing and feeling, but maybe it is? (Maybe I should throw in an inline water temp gauge just to find out if it is actually overheating?)

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Premium Features