• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Out of Extended Storage

S
Oct 7, 2010
Alaska
Hey everyone, I haven taken my 07D7 out from an extended "storage" of almost 3 years (ish) where it was not properly stored :)face-icon-small-sad), though it was covered well. I have finally finished school and now have a lot more free time on my hands, I'm pretty excited. I want to get your thoughts on some things that I noticed pull the cover off for the first time.

I have not even tried to start it yet. It is really dirty, I'm taking every easy piece that can take off and cleaning what I can reach, mostly spraying and wiping the motor and chassis as best I can. I took the seat and gas tank off so I can really scrub the tunnel. It's been a pain but I picked up some scotch pads and I'm finally seeing some results, though its scratching it ever so slighty, will need a polish.

One thing that really sticks out and catches your eye when you open the hood is that pretty much all of the aluminum has what appears to be salt deposits. Sadly I think it has pitted the aluminum ever so slightly because it doesn't come off with simple water and a rag. This is really my biggest concern with the whole thing. Most clutches are covered with it too, and it looks like it was starting to work at the clutch faces, I think I need to consider finding some new used ones? There are some are craigslist from an 09D7.
Here are some picture that kinda show what I'm talking about.
MDmFfo0.jpg

dYCbx6u.jpg

Some other things I noticed, there was a little bit of rust on the cross member just in front of the engine. Not super concerned, it appears to be simple surface rust. Noticed similar rust on some of the skid components that were once black, a little more concerned but haven't even really looked at this quite yet, busy scrubbin.

Lastly, how stable are the fluids (coolant and oil) and should I consider draining them and starting fresh?

It's pretty late and I kind of just puked up some of my thoughts, hope they make sense.
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Replace the fuel lines would be my suggestion. If it is carburated then clean the jets and float mechanism. Replace the driveline bearings if at all possible, and at least the rear and top idler wheel bearings.

Run 50:1 premix for the first tank and hope the crank bearings are fine, and verify the oil pump is pumping.

Maybe replace the rollers in the primary.

I wouldn't bother cleaning it :p

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
The surface oxidation is no problem, I'd wash it, grease it, new fuel, pull the plugs and shoot a little WD40 down the cylinders and pull the rope a few times with plugs out then put them in and fire it. As posted above a little premix in the tank won't hurt.

S
Oct 7, 2010
Alaska
Replace the fuel lines would be my suggestion. If it is carburated then clean the jets and float mechanism. Replace the driveline bearings if at all possible, and at least the rear and top idler wheel bearings.

Run 50:1 premix for the first tank and hope the crank bearings are fine, and verify the oil pump is pumping.

Maybe replace the rollers in the primary.

I wouldn't bother cleaning it :p

I was going to grab a new filter, you think I need to replace all the lines?

I just popped the primary clutch apart and the clutch faces have a couple of groves in it towards the center. One of the weights was kind of sticky as well, didn't take it off to inspect the bushing but it'll need some work. I'm going to try to find one in my area that doesn't have groves in it though.

The surface oxidation is no problem, I'd wash it, grease it, new fuel, pull the plugs and shoot a little WD40 down the cylinders and pull the rope a few times with plugs out then put them in and fire it. As posted above a little premix in the tank won't hurt.

That is what I like to hear. The more I looked at it the better I felt about it, just wanted to be sure.

As for available clutches. A quick craigslist search found me two clutches. One from a 2009 800 RMK and one from a 2009 700 RMK. Part no. on polaris' website are different but from what I can tell it is because the weights and spring are different. Any reason I can't bolt one of these on?(weights and spring aside)

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
no you don't have to replace any fuel lines , new gas , a little wd 40 in the cylinders and a good clean up up . it should start and run fine , the only concerns with extended storage are gas deterioration and rust .

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I spray wd-40 lightly over everything before storage. Helps keep the aluminum from corroding. Makes quite the mess but at least it's protected.

Premium Features