• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ordered a "Ride208" radio system

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
3311ef679c105c4932d17017d00113dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
hahah holy crap, thats HUGE! Better be able to play local FM tunes for the entire weekend if it's going to be replacing valuable road soda space :LOL:
Its TALL and certainly HIGH GAIN, which should both play a major role in getting better coverage when we are separated in the backcountry.
Lots more testing still to be done.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
1. How’s testing and use going?
2. Do you know if this radio meets the Part 95 requirement for GMRS radios?
3. Does that antenna get unfurled when riding?
4. How are the in-helmet speakers? I don’t hear as well as I did in my youth.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
1. How’s testing and use going?
2. Do you know if this radio meets the Part 95 requirement for GMRS radios?
3. Does that antenna get unfurled when riding?
4. How are the in-helmet speakers? I don’t hear as well as I did in my youth.
The radios seem to work just fine.
But I will need MOAR of them to equip all the guys that I ride with so we are all using the same hardware.

These are HAM RADIOS, not GMRS.

You can keep the antenna folded or unfolded as you see fit.
The aditional reception / transmission gain comes from the total length of the antenna, not just from it being in a straight line.

I have NOT played with the in-Helmet speaklers/mic as yet

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
The radios seem to work just fine.
But I will need MOAR of them to equip all the guys that I ride with so we are all using the same hardware.

These are HAM RADIOS, not GMRS.

You can keep the antenna folded or unfolded as you see fit.
The aditional reception / transmission gain comes from the total length of the antenna, not just from it being in a straight line.

I have NOT played with the in-Helmet speaklers/mic as yet
Why pay such an outrageous price? buy a couple of uv82hp's and use chirp to clone from your current radios.... so easy to do. If you think you want/need it I'll send you the .cvs file with all the ride 208 program and then some. the speaker mics are just btech mics with a ride 208 sticker. I'll even tell you where to get the same set up for half the price. all programed and ready to rock.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Why pay such an outrageous price? buy a couple of uv82hp's and use chirp to clone from your current radios.... so easy to do. If you think you want/need it I'll send you the .cvs file with all the ride 208 program and then some. the speaker mics are just btech mics with a ride 208 sticker. I'll even tell you where to get the same set up for half the price. all programed and ready to rock.
I did both.
I bought a full CASE of the Baefongs as well.
But sometimes its nice to try and support our little community.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I couldn't find it on the FCC site but, the rumor has come to me from 2 completely separate sources, each in a different city miles apart.
To be more precise, the rumor was first told to me in the beginning of Dec. The second time was a couple of days ago and came as a warning that Mr ride208 is trying to implicate a former partner that has been completely away from ride208 for 2 years.
The "nal" was an assumption on my part. Actual original rumor was that the FCC was coming after or had contacted ride208.

This is not connected with the above..... Rugged radios has been hammered by the FCC.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I couldn't find it on the FCC site but, the rumor has come to me from 2 completely separate sources, each in a different city miles apart.
To be more precise, the rumor was first told to me in the beginning of Dec. The second time was a couple of days ago and came as a warning that Mr ride208 is trying to implicate a former partner that has been completely away from ride208 for 2 years.
The "nal" was an assumption on my part. Actual original rumor was that the FCC was coming after or had contacted ride208.

This is not connected with the above..... Rugged radios has been hammered by the FCC.
It will be interesting to see how they attack him
What he is selling IS LEGAL, but only to Licensed HAM operators.
But at the same time, I don't think there is a legal statutory requirement that he obtain proof of certification prior to sale.

The whole thing is a mess.
What we need are HiPower GRMS radios.
5 watts would be AWESOME for sledders.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It will be interesting to see how they attack him
What he is selling IS LEGAL, but only to Licensed HAM operators.
But at the same time, I don't think there is a legal statutory requirement that he obtain proof of certification prior to sale.

The whole thing is a mess.
What we need are HiPower GRMS radios.
5 watts would be AWESOME for sledders.
Garmin Rino 650.
5watt GMRS channels
.5watt FRS channels

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Garmin Rino 650.
5watt GMRS channels
.5watt FRS channels

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I have a pair of them.
BUT
They come at a rather SERIOUS COST that most guys are just not willing to spend.

The current Hi-Performer is now the 755t
And I think the base model is a 700 ??

Rino® 755t​

2-Way Radio/GPS Navigator with Camera and TOPO Mapping​

PART NUMBER 010-01958-15​

$649.99USD

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Love the Garmin rhino, but what shoulder mic works well. I’ve tried a few, can’t seem to find one that is best

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
The radioddity gm30 that, i mentioned in a different thread, looks promising. I have ordered 2 for testing. My plan is to post my findings on sw.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I was stuck in BCA radios for a while. They suck, I ordered a baofeng and will never look back. This one is 5x more powerful than my BCA and a quarter of the cost.

Amazon product ASIN B00Z4X3MM6

Premium Features