• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro on the way, need some opinions..

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Hey guys, I just put a deposit on a Nytro and I will be riding my first 4 stroke this winter. Like any other sled, Im sure there are some "must do's" to make it a better machine.
There is a lot that is already done to it so it should save me a bit of time and money to get it to where I want it. Here are the details:

2012 Nytro MTX SE with 0 miles.

MPI 180 Hp Turbo Unit
Custom Turbo Shroud
AirFrame Running Boards
Concept Front Suspension w/retrofit Float 2 Shocks
Skinz Front Bumper
Skinz Rear Bumper
AirFrame Seat Kit
Yamaha Aftermarket Rear Suspension Powder Coated Black
Satin Black Powder Coated Tunnel
Skinz Float Plate
Skinz Flex Trail Snowflap
Ice Scratchers

(I believe it also has the new Ascent track)

I am also going to add the following:

Koso X-2 Gauge setup
Clutching
XXX Mod-Rods vent kit

Is there anything else that you guys would consider essential to this setup or should I be good to go?

Thanks.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
ditch the float plate asap unless you like to carry around 30 pounds of extra ice on the front end. the turbo will lift the front end if you ride it right

Last edited:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Roest racing makes a great full length skid that replaces the stock plastic one. I put one on my Nytro last year and I can not express how much better it protects your engine and tunnel cooler. The construction is top notch, and it can take a beating.

Sent from my Commando

Last edited:

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Congrats on the new purchase!:thumb:

Since this is your first 4 stroke, one of the first things you'll notice is the wide power band (especially if its boosted):face-icon-small-hap

If you mountain ride, you may want to pick up a Roll-Over Valve (shameless plug). All 4 stroke dry sump oil tanks require venting so that they do not build pressure in the tank while the engine is running. Any pressure build up in the tank can effect the oil pump return flow rate.
In the case of the Nytro there is a 5/8" diameter vent hose. Oil can leak out this hose when the sled is tipped over on its side. If the engine is still running while the sled is on its side, the positive air flow out the breather hose will actually pump the oil out!

A Roll-Over Valve is a tether controlled shut off valve, that is plumbed into the vent hose and helps prevent the engine oil from leaking out the oil tank when the sled is rolled/tipped over.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Ditch the 14 pound battery---yes 14 pounds!

Put in a lightweight Shorai-----some might disagree, but I like mine, or a YTZ7S

There are a few out there so take your pick.

My Shorai is 12lbs less than the stocker. Its grumpy in the morning but it works even at -20 degrees. The YTZ7S is 10lbs lighter and a little more user friendly.

I highly recommend the vents--thats a great choice because the T- Nytros will overheat if the cooling is not sufficient. I also recommend an aftermarket cooler such as Vanamburgs double pass. It's around $500 delivered.

Where did you buy the Powder coated yammy aftermarket suspension?

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Congrats on the new purchase!:thumb:

Since this is your first 4 stroke, one of the first things you'll notice is the wide power band (especially if its boosted):face-icon-small-hap

If you mountain ride, you may want to pick up a Roll-Over Valve (shameless plug). All 4 stroke dry sump oil tanks require venting so that they do not build pressure in the tank while the engine is running. Any pressure build up in the tank can effect the oil pump return flow rate.
In the case of the Nytro there is a 5/8" diameter vent hose. Oil can leak out this hose when the sled is tipped over on its side. If the engine is still running while the sled is on its side, the positive air flow out the breather hose will actually pump the oil out!

A Roll-Over Valve is a tether controlled shut off valve, that is plumbed into the vent hose and helps prevent the engine oil from leaking out the oil tank when the sled is rolled/tipped over.

Does your kit shut off automatically when sled roll's over? I let my buddy ride mine, he rolled it over.Never pulled tether. So i had a nice oil spill.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Ditch the 14 pound battery---yes 14 pounds!

Put in a lightweight Shorai-----some might disagree, but I like mine, or a YTZ7S

There are a few out there so take your pick.

My Shorai is 12lbs less than the stocker. Its grumpy in the morning but it works even at -20 degrees. The YTZ7S is 10lbs lighter and a little more user friendly.

I highly recommend the vents--thats a great choice because the T- Nytros will overheat if the cooling is not sufficient. I also recommend an aftermarket cooler such as Vanamburgs double pass. It's around $500 delivered.

Where did you buy the Powder coated yammy aftermarket suspension?

I dont think Im going to change the battery, I will need all the starting power I can get when it goes to -40. Ive read about the lack of cooling and thats why I will be installing a temp gauge to keep it monitored and if comes to be a problem, Im going to install an extra cooler.
The powdercoated suspension was already installed. Everything in the first list has already been installed on the machine.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
Does your kit shut off automatically when sled roll's over? I let my buddy ride mine, he rolled it over.Never pulled tether. So i had a nice oil spill.

You have to pull the tether to operate it.
Early on in development of the ROV I looked into using a position sensing device instead using a tether control, however 2 potenial issues came up.
Because snowmobiles bounce around so much, a sensing device such as mercury switch could apply the ROV while riding.
Also unlike a personal watercraft which is either going to be right side up or 180* upside down. A sled can be a almost any angle when tipped/rolled. In this case you could to calibrate a sensing device to apply at lower tip angles. However the drawback would be that it would be much more sensitive to the sled bouncing around as well.
In the end the tether control proved to be the best option. When I let someone else ride my sled, I usually have them clip the tether on. When I explain why, they reply "Oh, Ok that makes sense" :face-icon-small-win

Bill

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
I dont think Im going to change the battery, I will need all the starting power I can get when it goes to -40. Ive read about the lack of cooling and thats why I will be installing a temp gauge to keep it monitored and if comes to be a problem, Im going to install an extra cooler.
The powdercoated suspension was already installed. Everything in the first list has already been installed on the machine.

-40 degrees!!:face-icon-small-sho To cold for this old guy LOL!

I have a 27ah Shoria battery that is the same physical size as the stocker. Its 10 pounds lighter and works well. But then it only gets down to about -5F at the most where I ride.

Bill

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
-40 degrees!!:face-icon-small-sho To cold for this old guy LOL!

I have a 27ah Shoria battery that is the same physical size as the stocker. Its 10 pounds lighter and works well. But then it only gets down to about -5F at the most where I ride.

Bill

Same here. Blue day or no day. Of-course im off all winter. Anyway, i did hook the tether on him. He laid it on it's side and just stood next to it while it was running and leaking. Awesome product and all yamaha's should have one out of the box.

Last edited:
G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Ok I'll ditch the float plate try the Roest one. Heres the new shopping list:

Roest skid plate
Koso X-2 gauge
Roll Over Valve with tether
OFT steering relocate
XXX Modrods vent kit
Clutching

Anything else that would be essential?