• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Northern Rockies Protection Act at it again and this time it WILL PASS

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
S
Nov 27, 2007
Livingston, MT
I like the idea of contacting county commisioners. The grassroots local level is probably the best way to be heard and push the effort form the bottom up. My wife and I sent letters to Rep. Maloney of NY just to make us feel better, though. I can never understand how someone 2,000 miles away can know what is best for people who actually reside in the places affected by such broad sweeping idiotic legislation such as this. Yes, we are stupid uneducated country bumpkins that don't know how to take care of ourselves. Please, save us from ourselves (thats sarcasm to those that don't get it)!

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
more rep handed out to those contacting...

Denny is a good man on this issue...signing his petition, even if you are from canada gives him power of the people to communicate on this issue!!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I can't keep up with repping everyone who's posting is this thread. I get 3 or 4 done and then get locked out.

That form that Snob posted it GREAT. I did mine last night when Janine sent it out.

Last edited:

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
signed the online petition from montana, sent email to michigan rep mike rogers, also called his office. DO NOT LET THE POLITICIANS TAKE THIS LAND AWAY FROM US. THIS IS OUR LAND SET ASIDE GENERATIONS AGO FOR EVERYONE TO ENJOY. DO YOUR PART PLEASE. EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT FROM THE AREA, SOONER OR LATER YOU MAY NEED THE HELP IN YOUR AREA.

ski

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Got this back from good ol' Max today

Dear Joseph:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act. It is good to hear from you.

As Montanans, we are privileged to enjoy thousands of acres of public lands. We hunt and fish. We take our children hiking and camping. It is important that measures we take to protect our pristine lands take into consideration our recreational heritage.

Movements to designate new wilderness areas should be locally driven, and have widespread local support. Montanans take pride in their stewardship of public lands, and should be included as collaborators in any discussion about their public lands. These areas are critically important to local and state economies, and economic development components should be included in wilderness legislation.

It pretty much comes down to the fact that most people want to permanently protect some areas to hunt, fish and recreate. Rest assured that I will carefully examine any proposal which affects public lands in Montana. Thanks again for getting in touch. Feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns.

With best personal regards, I am

Senator Max Baucus

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
And this one came from Tester

This one is a little better I guess

Dear Joseph:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act.

Montana is blessed to have over 3.5 million acres designated as wilderness. When Congress looks at additional wilderness designation we need to keep in mind that while these areas are federal assets for all Americans -- their management directly affects local communities and their input into the process should carry weight.

The Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act is an ambitious approach to dedicate over 23 million acres of land. I have concerns with such an act because it does not take into account the unique management needs of these individual forests. I will continue to work with local communities, conservationists, farmers, ranchers, and timber and mining interests to see how we can reach a balance on our public lands. Protecting Montana's wild places through responsible management plans for future generations to enjoy is one of my top priorities. As this issue comes before the Senate or any committee that I am a member of, be assured that I will keep your views in mind.

I appreciate the time that you have taken to be involved and informed about this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jon Tester
United States Senator

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah, got an email back as well, sent emails to county commisioners... signed petition, showed all my friends who enjoy the outdoors.

trying to get all the power we can to stop this crap! this is a HUGE deal and with congress pushing things the way they do right now... well, i want to do all i can to have somewhere to ride!

K

kevsled59

Dec 13, 2007
I am sick of tree huggers

I am sick of all these tree huggers. What are they trying to do? Eliminate more jobs, shut down businesses. All of us people that snowmobile out there help the economy by buying gas and oil and lodging. What do the tree huggers buy cheese and wine.
There are just too many good people out west that need us for their livelyhoods.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
It sounds like the only think Max DIDN'T tell you is that his is going to vote FOR it. :eek::rolleyes:

Got this back from good ol' Max today

Dear Joseph:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act. It is good to hear from you.

As Montanans, we are privileged to enjoy thousands of acres of public lands. We hunt and fish. We take our children hiking and camping. It is important that measures we take to protect our pristine lands take into consideration our recreational heritage.

Movements to designate new wilderness areas should be locally driven, and have widespread local support. Montanans take pride in their stewardship of public lands, and should be included as collaborators in any discussion about their public lands. These areas are critically important to local and state economies, and economic development components should be included in wilderness legislation.

It pretty much comes down to the fact that most people want to permanently protect some areas to hunt, fish and recreate. Rest assured that I will carefully examine any proposal which affects public lands in Montana. Thanks again for getting in touch. Feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns.

With best personal regards, I am

Senator Max Baucus

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
It sounds like the only think Max DIDN'T tell you is that his is going to vote FOR it. :eek::rolleyes:

I assure you, Max did not write that response...I will call a friend who is very high up in Baucus office and get his input on it...

The KEY to alll this though...is Max and Tester NEED to know we WILL hold them accountable for this, it is a VERY typical tactic that some easterner takes up the causeasthey were told by DC staffersof (Max and John) that they would get crucified if they sponsored or co-sponsored this...So, they need to understand that WE will hold them accountable for this little thing...and that we will remember if it even gets out of committee!!!

Last edited:

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
sent letters to both senators for michigan levin, and stabenow, on this as well this am. also contacted dale kildee who is not my rep but is on the parks comitee on this bill. not much time left to help guys. keep the support going. it takes alittle time to do this, be pacient, it is worth it. they make it hard so we give up. DO NOT GIVE UP. keep trying, get ahold of these people even if they are not in your area.

michigan people get ahold of
mike rogers
dale kildee
carl levin
debbie stabenow

show your support for not closing these areas

ski

Last edited:
W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Heck, we still have snowmobilers that believe you can legally snowmobile in the Wilderness. They read the wilderness bill and claim it doesn't close anything. Same thing with the Roadless rule, people swear up and down that roadless won't result in any loss or riding area. BS.

If you overlay this wilderness bill, with the roadless bill, you start to see how they are going to grab this land, one way or the other.

Watched a interview with all the people involved in the new Wilderness in Idaho. They claimed everyone got something they wanted, and any group that didn't want to compromise, was left out. "but don't worrry, their interests were looked after". Can you guess what group was left out. snowmobilers. True, there's not a lot of snowmobiling down there, but we are the group they will leave out.

Boulder Whiteclouds Wilderness, we will be left out of that also.

Premium Features