• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Next Level bars install & comparison to stock Pro Tapers

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
With all the talk of going with lower bars, I started looking around and doing some research. Read a ton, watched a bunch of videos and finally decided to pull the stock Pro Tapers off and try a set of Dan Adam's Next Level Bars.

So others can compare, I'm just over 6' with my Klim boots on and have about a 36" sleeve length on shirts. The Next Level bars are about 1 1/2 lower then the stock / standard Pro Tapers. They also have a little less "pull back" or grip angle then the Pro Tapers, basically the Next Level bars are a little straighter.

I also spoke with Dan about his bars and he suggested cutting about 1 3/8" off each end. He said by narrowing the bars up a little it tends to lessen arm fatigue and improve overall control.

Before mounting the bars up, I took a bunch of measurements where I thought it felt the best. I stood on the sled, knees slightly bent, simulating a neutral riding position and closed by eyes. Had a little help with this and several measurements were taken. Amazingly enough the measurement actually came in a little lower then the stock bars.

Once I got the bars mounted up, I ended up cutting off about 1 1/4" off each end of the bars.

Once the bars where on, adjusted and tightened up you could immediately notice the difference. The bars actually feel stiffer / more ridged, when pulling the sled onto it's side. Again this is only in the garage so far but you can feel differences already.

It's definitely different and I'm anxious to try it out!!!!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Here you can see the difference between the two as far as the pull back or grip angle

49df71315b625f50c15a8fa870484d03.jpg

Little closer view of the angle

0185a7b86dc0461e9bd92525877fe380.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Another view of the angle once they were mounted up.

f5cdda5bc5c174a99eb0e03bee92f441.jpg

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
And of course the finished product!!

All in all, the bars are great quality and I cannot wait to give them a try!!!!

bc2145ca0dc1a53e27f1e131db3c56cd.jpg

3365de4c4d31dd813d373d02ab2aa139.jpg

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Stock Pro Tapers and the Next Level bars come 28 1/2" wide.

Dan himself recommended cutting 1 3/8" off both ends for added control and less arm fatigue.

After I did some measuring, I ended up cutting 1 1/4" off both ends for what I thought felt good.

Then obviously you put the bar ends in and your done.

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
I really like mine from last year. Cut about an inch off the ends, put 1/16 cork under the heaters and ditched the mountain bar. Force yourself to keep both hands on the grips and always in control.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
How hard was it to remove/reinstall the grips and heaters? I like the lower pro tapers on my new pro, and I am leaning towards installing these on my 14.

Super easy!! Just use a heat gun and heat them up a little and peel them off.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
Lets here an update on how you like the bars. I'm 6'3" and tried a buddies NXT level bars garage riding and they felt like it pulls over a lot easier and better control when on the side. Want to try them on the snow.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Lets here an update on how you like the bars. I'm 6'3" and tried a buddies NXT level bars garage riding and they felt like it pulls over a lot easier and better control when on the side. Want to try them on the snow.

Three trips on these bars so far and I do like the change. I'm 6 foot and first impressions were, maybe they were too low but after riding with them, that is not the case!

Side hilling is where I noticed the most improvement. The bars are just in a better position (for me) for side hilling and over control when riding off camber.

I also like the width, which I did narrow them up a bit. It seems like I have less arm fatigue and overall feel is nicer. The days of tall bars on a mountian sled are over.

Again, what works for one doesn't nessessary work for everyone, but in my case, the change worked for me.

On a side note, they felt so good I actually pulled my mountain bar completely off !!! I also just changed out my brake lever to an AMP, which hopefully works better for one finger braking while side hilling.

8abcf82529a6a48289ad38f3545973a7.jpg

09e176e1cf9942fe4ce957169d1894c3.jpg

ae922dd7f50d3dc00fe48e556bce708d.jpg

Last edited:

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
Good deal. Might have to ride his and get myself a set. How much did you cut off the ends?

On side note, if memory serves me right, your running a 36" front end and x3 163 right?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Good deal. Might have to ride his and get myself a set. How much did you cut off the ends?

On side note, if memory serves me right, your running a 36" front end and x3 163 right?

Dan recommended cutting an 1 3/8" off each end, I ended up cutting an 1 1/4" off each end.

And yes I'm running an X3 with an Alternative Impact 36" front end. I tried it at the narrowest setting first and personnally did not care for it, then went to the middle which is the 36" setting and then tried the widest setting / 37".

I settled on the 37" setting, 36" was okay and 35" was way to narrow for me!!!

Now that it's at 37" I just need a little more time to get use to it but with the bars, the track and the front end, she is working pretty slick!!!!

We were just at Dan Adams' riding clinic last week and one of the instructors jumped on my sled and took it for a rip. I watched as he layed it over (on its side and fell off) and when he came came back his quote was, "man that thing is quick" !!!! So I guess you could say it re acts pretty good and is handling great in the power.

Hope that helps, good luck!!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
You will like the AMP lever, nice solid lever when you hit the brakes. One finger braking works good too. Also it doesnt feel like your going to snap the lever off when releasing the parking brake. Eric

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
You will like the AMP lever, nice solid lever when you hit the brakes. One finger braking works good too. Also it doesnt feel like your going to snap the lever off when releasing the parking brake. Eric

Yeah, I really wanted something better for one figer braking. The stock lever is really only designed to be used with multiple fingers, which sucks!!! The profile / contour just is not that comfortable unless your grabbing a ton of brake at one time. I'm hoping the AMP's profile works a little better for just burning a little brake at a time, which is what your doing all the time while riding off camber riding.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
Dan recommended cutting an 1 3/8" off each end, I ended up cutting an 1 1/4" off each end.

And yes I'm running an X3 with an Alternative Impact 36" front end. I tried it at the narrowest setting first and personnally did not care for it, then went to the middle which is the 36" setting and then tried the widest setting / 37".

I settled on the 37" setting, 36" was okay and 35" was way to narrow for me!!!

Now that it's at 37" I just need a little more time to get use to it but with the bars, the track and the front end, she is working pretty slick!!!!

We were just at Dan Adams' riding clinic last week and one of the instructors jumped on my sled and took it for a rip. I watched as he layed it over (on its side and fell off) and when he came came back his quote was, "man that thing is quick" !!!! So I guess you could say it re acts pretty good and is handling great in the power.

Hope that helps, good luck!!

So how does the 163 X3 compare to the 155 with the 2.4 when throwing it around in the trees and when jumping?

Premium Features