• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New weights gonna melt my hood?

M
Feb 5, 2009
Stopped by my dealer yesterday and picked up some 68 gram weights for my 2009 M8. I've been running the stock weights and riding mostly between 9000-11500 feet. Sled pulls great in the 7-9000' range, but above that starts losing rpms. I'll be lucky to get 6800 rpms by 11000'. Just looking to keep up the rpms in the higher elevations. Dealer said in his experience the 68's have been melting hoods and oil tanks. I've already had a few issues with the oil tank threads meliting, but nothing that a little heat tape did'nt fix. Already have side vents and an Amp guage cage, under the hood all stock except for a MBRP can. Should I be concerned about melting my hood with the lower weights. Any suggestions?

M
Feb 5, 2009
That's how I was feeling. His theory is the weights were causing extreme temp changes under the hood. I was stumped myself. Thanks for making me feel a little better.

Premium Features