• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Timbersled kit owner, looking for the right bike.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
dirtrebel, thanks. Now this puts the yz back into the mix. Do you know if it is possible to add a street legal kit, its hard to get a definite answer on some forums I read that there is no way of upgrading the stator and that it uses all the power for the fuel pump and injection.

it definently doesnt use all the power for pump and injection. A street legal kit is easy, once you have a power source tapped off the capacitor, you can hook up whatever you want. A led tail / brake light only uses a few watts, and a small headlight pulls 35 watts or less if you go with led. I have a cyclops 630 led light for snowbiking. It came with a plug and play harness to take power from the capacitor. you unplug the capacitor then insert a nice plug and then plug the existing harness back in its really slick! I'm sure cyclops could sell you just the plug. The power then goes to a handlebar switch and you can wire up anything you want. As far as 100% street legal with high and low beam and all that might be pushing it, but for a working headlight and tail / brake light its no problem, if you keep it to like 40-50 watts you will be fine. Some say the bike uses the most juice at startup so having added electronics off at that time might be a good idea, but mine starts fine with the light on. I was looking for the exact spec but never found it however I did find several posts on forums stating output north of 110 watts.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
also I feel like I should add the 10-13 yz does have some drawbacks.

no tss. you cant do the tss (suspension strut) due to the rear exhaust the way up wraps up under the seat some call it the tornado pipe. I think a few guys have either put the newer exhaust like the 14-17 has it wrapping around the engine or modified the stock exhaust, most people wont want to do that. dooable if you like to mod. also not sure if tsled offers even makes a tss fit kit for the bike, so if you want tss not adviseable to use a 10-13 yz450, unless you like to mod

the intake. Its pretty easy to make it work with a pod filter but if you ride deeep light powder and go wide open snorkel style its really loud! That intake barking right in your face makes earplugs mandatory.

no e start.

I think the yz is a superior engine, forks and the elecrtical is awesome, but the estart and more standard rearward intake on a ktm and abilty to run tss are huge points for them. maybe a fuel injected kawasaki kx450 or suzuki rmz450 (pre air forks) is the ultimate older race bike?? no e start of course!

Last edited:
S
Sep 15, 2016
Vancouver, WA
Already put some radiator guard on, got the themobob and temp gauge in the mail. The dealer gave me 20% off for next two weeks to pick up accessories, so will be shopping soon.

IMG_20161018_154732.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features