• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW SKI SCRATCHER

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It would be nice to see a picture of them unless they are top secret until june. Looks like they work good. I would just like to know a little more about them.

Woodsrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Cool ideal for hard pack trails. I am a little concerned about the leading edge of spring at mount bolt hooking on things. How do they work on ice?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I bet it doesn't work that good. Won't have to tip it very far before it drags the body work. A long tracked snowhawk will work better. jmo.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Prairiepowderhead this product needs more then a video driving down a road. It is something that most consumers will install and leave it alone. How is it going to react with a trailer deck as it sharpens from snow wear? How long will it last? You have ____ miles and this is how it looks. Is this going to turn into a deadly weapon when I'm rolling a sled?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
The only thing I see is that it could wear out quite quickly. If it is down all the time even if you dont want it to be......

P

prairiepowderhead

Sep 1, 2008
Prairie
Sorry guys, its been a long weekend and I havent had any time to get on here and answer any questions, I will try to do so now. We have been testing these all year and have approximatly 2000 miles combined on them. We have seen minimal wear on them. I cannot say they will not wear out, They are a wear item , as are wear bars, hifax, scratchers, but the benefits to these are phenominal. The amount of snow these place on the hifax and coolers is amazing. We think on normal snow conditions these will last 2 to 3000 miles or more.
These are only scooping up the snow that the wear bars are disturbing, and placing it in the suspension. They are not touching the ground when the sled is setting on concrete.
We have never have them catch a trailer ramp while loading.
I suppose they could be dangerous if you role your sled over, but so is the track, the ice scratchers, the carbide runners, ect....
These are a "install correctly and forget they are there" scratcher. And the instructions are pretty detailed on how to install them correctly.

Hope this helps, Keep asking questions and I will try to answer them. We will try to get more pics and video up when we can.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Pretty cool idea, would be neat to figure out a way to retract them when not wanting to use.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
These work right into something I've thought about this winter.

I conducted a test last week. Took note of starting water temp (125°).With rail scratchers UP....I drove down the trail at a medium pace (Adam Sandler style) and didn't turn my skis sharp or aggressively. It was just simple tame trail riding without hard turning or accelleration. Temps got up to the 145° range.
Went about 4 miles.

I turned around and went back to beginning of that same trail.
Let the engine cool down to the same 125° start temp.
Took the same trail, same speed, but this time I turned aggressively and sharply all over the trail with MINIMAL acceleration and throttle differences.

This time, my sled was 7° cooler than the previous run.

I tried to be as scientific as possible on this, to control all variables.

Aggressive steering and using the skegs to throw snow toward the track DID help cool my sled.

I like the idea of your product. I think it's pretty dang smart.

Pretty cool idea, would be neat to figure out a way to retract them when not wanting to use.

True, but I don't think that you NEED to retract them. Unlike the skegs, rail scratchers or track, the only thing they are ever going to touch is the snow.

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Sorry guys, its been a long weekend and I havent had any time to get on here and answer any questions, I will try to do so now. We have been testing these all year and have approximatly 2000 miles combined on them. We have seen minimal wear on them. I cannot say they will not wear out, They are a wear item , as are wear bars, hifax, scratchers, but the benefits to these are phenominal. The amount of snow these place on the hifax and coolers is amazing. We think on normal snow conditions these will last 2 to 3000 miles or more.
These are only scooping up the snow that the wear bars are disturbing, and placing it in the suspension. They are not touching the ground when the sled is setting on concrete.
I suppose they could be dangerous if you role your sled over, but so is the track, the ice scratchers, the carbide runners, ect....
These are a "install correctly and forget they are there" scratcher. And the instructions are pretty detailed on how to install them correctly.

Hope this helps, Keep asking questions and I will try to answer them. We will try to get more pics and video up when we can.

Well that answers it for me. I just assumed they were digging in the snow below the ski. Gollie! That is a smart idea.....

I wonder how they would work on dual runner Simmons skis where the carbides are on either side of center. Install differently then or?

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana

Thanks for the reply. It looks like a great idea. I like the non-touching part.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Ski-Zs-1.jpeg

Premium Features