• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nellie Juan

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
Three of them went off the cliff and they all got their bell rung pretty good. Don was last over the cliff and chose to bail but ended up landing on one of the upside down sleds.

Best wishes Don, we're praying for your speedy recovery.

IF anyone goes up there, be really carefull as you head down to the lake. I'm told by one of the sled rescue party that there is a 6 foot deep, 8 foot wide, fire pit in the middle of one of the paths down to the lake.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Three of them went off the cliff and they all got their bell rung pretty good. Don was last over the cliff and chose to bail but ended up landing on one of the upside down sleds.

Best wishes Don, we're praying for your speedy recovery.

IF anyone goes up there, be really carefull as you head down to the lake. I'm told by one of the sled rescue party that there is a 6 foot deep, 8 foot wide, fire pit in the middle of one of the paths down to the lake.

you would hope someone will put ribbon around it ..that would hurt to find....

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
Glad they all made it out OK. This is a good time to check the "what's in your pack" thread if you haven't already. It doesn't take a lot of gear to make an overnighter tolerable, but having nothing will make it the worst night ever.

W
Dec 2, 2008
bad day at nelly

Hi Guys being one of the guys who went off the cliff I would like to say Thanks to all the people that helped our group get through a bad day and night at nelly all the Bear creek team and the Crown point guys and the Seward snowmobile group that broke the trail in to the next morning it was nice to have a broke trail after the fridaynight's bizzard and to George Derk ( or better known as the human GPS )who went out to get help and lead the troopers and EMT's and forest service guy's back to us in a blizzard and took them back out at night in a blizzard. I can guarantee that all your effort was greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mark,

R F H 014.jpg R F H 017.jpg R F H 016.jpg

A
Dec 24, 2007
soldotna alaska
The human GPS (Georges Positioning System) is one hard core guy! The ride out that night, and trying to ride back in to bring you guys the SAT Phone definitely made me re-evaluate what I carry in my pack when going to back country areas! I thought I had enough crap in my pack, but I will be carrying alot heavier pack now, and will have a GPS mounted on the sled. The three of us who were trying to ride the phone in came within 20-30' of taking a 300 vertical drop into the canyon in a blizzard... the good news is we would not have had much time to think about how bad the certain carnage at the bottom was gonna hurt!

A
Dec 24, 2007
soldotna alaska
Hi Guys being one of the guys who went off the cliff I would like to say Thanks to all the people that helped our group get through a bad day and night at nelly all the Bear creek team and the Crown point guys and the Seward snowmobile group that broke the trail in to the next morning it was nice to have a broke trail after the fridaynight's bizzard and to George Derk ( or better known as the human GPS )who went out to get help and lead the troopers and EMT's and forest service guy's back to us in a blizzard and took them back out at night in a blizzard. I can guarantee that all your effort was greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mark,

You still gonna be thanking us after you get a good look at your sled and see what we did to it getting it out :pound:

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
sure glad to see you boys came out ok..done those ride by brail trips..they suck.....

Same here.. I have ridden out three times by just staring at the GPS..It's a very scary feeling not looking were your going and only looking at a little line on a screen knowing that there are terrain traps along the way..

Glad everyone made it out and is doing well.. Hat's off to everyone!

Premium Features