• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need to replace a 174 track .... which route should I go?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Hey yall, wound up shredding the track on my sled yesterday .... 2018 Polaris 174x3 ....

After doing some looking, it appears that the ONLY 2.86 pitch 174 track on the market is the Polaris Series VII ..... which is somewhere around $1,800.

Virtually any offering from Camso or Composite appears to be in 3.0 pitch only, so if I don't replace this with another Polarist track I'm going to be into swapping drivers.

So my thought on this is, at the end of the day it's probably going to be within $200 of each other no matter what option I go with ....

So, what track should I swap to? I don't think I've ever heard a single good thing about the Camso Conquer 280 track, so I'm looking more towards the Challenger Extreme 3X or perhaps the Composite equivelent.

What would yall do? Any other options I've missed?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, I need to get this figured out once and for all because that's going to be a hell of a lot cheaper if I don't have to replace drivers. I can't find anywhere other than the 2018 Polaris repair manual that explicitly states what pitch that Series VII 3.0" lug height track is:

Polaris 2018 Specs.png

That's straight out of the Polaris repair manual *shrug*

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
All the 3-in tracks are three pitch, they are 156, 162 and 174 lengths, all the 3-inch tracks also come with a chain case.

All belt drive 2.6-in lug are 2.86 pitch. They come in 155 and 163 lengths.

If you want to double check for yourself just measure center to center between the track bars, it was probably just a misprint in the manual.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
All the 3-in tracks are three pitch, they are 156, 162 and 174 lengths, all the 3-inch tracks also come with a chain case.

All belt drive 2.6-in lug are 2.86 pitch. They come in 155 and 163 lengths.

If you want to double check for yourself just measure center to center between the track bars, it was probably just a misprint in the manual.

Good call! It does appear to be 3.0" indeed. It's 6" from centerline-to-centerline of the track bars with the lug square in the middle. Cool that saves me a lot of money :)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, so one more idea .... This will be on a bone-stock motor. No plans for any power adders or anything.

I'm thinking it may stand to reason that I may gain a little track speed and subsequently manueverability out of this thing if I go with the Challenger Extreme 2.5" track instead of the 3" .... Anybody think that makes sense?

S
Jan 11, 2008
Northern Alberta
I was thinking about switching to a 2.5 to make my 17’ 174 tank turn easier in average snow conditions. I don’t think it’s crazy but a lot of people I asked over the last few years think it’s a big step backwards. I’m thinking having that track spinning a bit more will let you turn tighter and more in control. I was thinking about shaving my track to a 2.6 ish length for this reason.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I think I am going to go with the Composite MR67 2.62" ... That will be a direct swap without having to replace drivers. I'm thinking less lug on this thing is better than more and that track seems to come with good reviews.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Shorter lugs evac more snow/air on the Axys, which is why track speed is higher on a 2.7 vs. 3.0, same pitch and gearing.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, well, guess change of plans. Composite can't get any of the MR67 2.62" tracks until April they said, so Challenger Extreme 2.5 it is.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Why don’t you go with the 3” and cut it down to 2.75? I haven’t looked at the price difference but I’ve been told that cutting the 3” down to 2.75 makes a huge difference.

Why not just go with a 2.5 in that case and then not compromise the integrity of the lug? I never thought the Series V 2.4" tracks were bad at all, and honestly the stock 800 is way underpowered to drive a 174x3 @ 10-12,000' .... So I figure a 2.5" is just hedging against that a little more whilst still providing enough paddle to move the sled in deep snow.

I'll let yall know how it goes, I'm doing the Raptor Khaos front track shock mod as well. I will be curious to see how that does in addition to dropping the front torque arm mount to the lower point. It may trench too much, idk, but if it does I can always move the mount to the upper location again.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
the point of getting a sled with a chain case is to run a 3 inch track ,i'd personally loved my x3 on my 13 pro and found no down side ,btw it didn't affect steering one way or the other when i swapped from a 2.4 to 3.o

D

DV-ENT

Mar 27, 2009
Calgary
I was faced with this same decision a couple months ago, the 2.6 had damage and after a lot of research and talking to others that have been down this road with varying results I decided to go with the X3 3.0 pitch which required the extrovert drivers, I've only been out a couple of times with the new set up but so far I'm very happy with the set up, the X3 really hooks up much better track than the 3" oem track i had on my prior axys. I did have a hard time trying to decide between the X3 and the 2.8 epic... would still like to try that track as I've heard good things about it. good luck with your decision and make sure to let us know the direction you go.

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
Dogmeat I’m with you, my 174 with a turbo has way to much traction in all but the fluffiest snow. I like that you can make a huge mistake and grind your way out but in set up snow in the trees you are wrestling a bear unless you are going fast. The same with side hills you have so much traction it’s hard to cut the shelf without the sled wanting to jump out from under you.
Let us know how this works out as I have thought many times about doing exactly what you are doing now.
Meadow Muffin

Premium Features