• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need tips to stop noisy/clunking receiver hitch

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Truck is '23 GMC 2500hd. Hitch is 2.5" with B & W stow away receiver for use with multi- pro tailgate.

Works great but when not towing, thing makes clunking noise when going over bumps or braking. You know it's back there which is annoying considering truck is pretty quiet and smooth.

Don't really want to remove it every time not in use, defeats purpose of stow away feature. No room for silencer pads, tight fit but not tight enough to not clunk. It's heavy, maybe 30-40 lbs.

20221114_095207.jpg

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
For a 2”.
For 2.5”.
If the hitch is a hollow tube.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I have not done this, but I have considered placing a few small linear welds along the top edge of the ball mount to get a snug fit.

Weld a bead or beads, then grind down beads so the ball mount fits snugly into the receiver tube.

After doing this, your ball mount may not readily fit into another receiver without requiring some minor grinding.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Yes, lots of moving parts but the clunking noise is mostly from up and down movement between the hitch and receiver as it's easy to duplicate. Going to try to shim top and bottom with very thin piece of plastic. If that doesn't work, Val's link had a hitch pin that I could tighten like a bolt but still maintain a lock. Will try the cheap solution first.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Pull it out 2"
apply sealant to the last 2'' and re-insert.
I've never tried it, but some brilliant SOB posted it on Snowest today.

C
Dec 14, 2020
Turn the stereo up....

I haven't had a stock stereo in 20 years though. First thing I do is add a couple amps, speakers, and sub.

I think a smear of rtv silicone in there would deaden the sound. I've never been able to hear one rattle though.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Zal already posted the solutions above. Use a cheap, simple anti-rattle kit/clamp and you're done.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Took a piece of inner tube and slid it part way than followed up with a few hits from a dead blow to drive that hitch in. Also replaced the receiver pin with a drop hitch pin, cut and threaded the end and put a lock nut on and pulled the loop off the pin after assembly, couldn't find a locking one I liked.
It'll be a little harder for slippery fingers to walk away with, just gonna take a few tools to pull it.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Well it's been two weeks, I feel I can give a solid update. Used a thin plastic shim up top along with a few beads of windshield urethane along receiver, then shoved it in and let dry overnight. No clanks or clunks, quiet back there. Because of tight fit, lots of the aftermarket fixes simply won't fit on this application. Thanks for all the input

Premium Features