• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some help, loosing patience with 09' M1000

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Ok, so details on the sled:

09' M1000 162, Full SLP exhaust with Power Commander III, have about 2400 miles on it now. Ride mostly 5000-7000 ft

Last time I rode it (May of 2011) it ran great no problems what-so-ever. Put some star-tron in the fuel and stored it for the summer. It's been a busy winter so i'm just now getting some rides in. The only change I made was swapping out my Avenger II gauge for a Koso....

What i'm experiencing is that it seems really rich on the bottom and mid range. On the top end i'm pulling 7650 for RPM's and about 1160-1170 on my egt's.

The weird part about it is that in the low and mid range the egt's are all over the place, even caught them around 1300 once but only on the PTO side??? the mag side was at like 900ish??? When i pulled the plugs it appears that they are washed clean.... to much fuel??? excess fuel burning in the y-pipe?

Today going down the trail the sled would load up occasionally and i'd have to work the throttle to open it back up, sometimes it seamed to be going into limp mode

So what i've done:

Checked spark plugs and wires, getting good spark on all 4.
Cleaned and check power valves
Baro-tube is clear
Exhaust is clear
Checked reeds
Looked at piston wash a couple times, pistons look good. Wash the first time was non existant, they looked clean and almost brand new. The second time after running it in the shop for a while there was good color.

What i'm still wondering?

Injectors stuck open?? (Just got done running a fresh tank of 91 ethanol free fuel and a bottle of sea foam through it)

ECU?

TPS?

Pipe temps sensor?

I am looking for any help that i can get from other experience. I tried using the search function but felt like i was going in circles.

Thanks in advance

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
It seems to load up most of the time, after i've run it a while it seems to idle high too (wondering if an injector is stuck open if it's adding enough fuel to cause it to auto-idle for lack of better terms)

Not sure on the map, i'll have to check on that. it's to map that came pre-loaded from SLP with some added fuel on the top end

air temp sensor?? blue plug coming from air box? if so yes it's plugged in

not sure about the calibration of TPS, didn't know you could do that

But the weird part is that when i ran it last year everything ran great and now first couple rides out this year and it's been running bad??? I'm just wondering if the fuel didn't stabilize and i have a gumed up injector? What is the best way to test injectors?

Keep the questions comming Mac, I just feel like i'm running into dead ends. Maybe it's time to upgrade :face-icon-small-hap

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
time time time

when you let them sit and where you let them sit...........what happens?

number one is corroded wires.......read bad connections, most cat connections will be good, suspect aftermarket fuel controller connections, unhook and give the old girl a little run......make a difference?

two....... bad fuel, until its gone might not run good, might have clogged fuel screens, again all how it was stored, cool place, or hot outdoor covered trailer ??

next is bad fuel system end to end, injectors not so often, fuel pump out of whack more likely, can be high or low fuel pressure extremes.

most likely though...........sum bad wires.

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Catsledman1, during the summer they are stored in an enclosed barn with the covers on them. Temps don't differentiate to much and they stay dry.

I have actually considered taking the pipe, y-pipe, and controller off and putting back to stock and see if that makes a difference.

Also i have a fuel pressure gauge on the way to see what that is doing.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I would check the fuel pressure, if the regulator is gummed up it could be over pressuring the system and would actually explain a lot. spec is 43-47

Stuck injectors usually flood it out,
A high idle is from going lean in most cases
slp maps suck
my PCIII was a pile of junk and caused me huge problems

calibrate the tps to the PCIII and see what happens, you may want to read the directions for that.

Check all your grounds,
unplug and check all connections for moisture
unplug the PCIII once and see what it does but don't do more than a few second pull, just enough to see if there is a difference.

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Ok Mac, ya the higher idle equals leaner DUH when i read what you put i thought of a chainsaw....

I'll see what i can do with the TPS calibration and try and check the fuel pressure.

Thanks again for the ideas..

K
Nov 17, 2008
hi there mine was doing the same when you checked the power valves were they gummy and looked like they needed cleaned and also was there any oil pooling in the intake boot just in front of throttle not much but a little if so it is just like mine what i was told was to change the two small check valves that the injection oil flows though than up to cylinders just after pump and that is suppost to fix the problem ????heres hopeing try that maybe it will fix it

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
did you drain all the old fuel and put in fresh?

If not you should. Fuel will spoil even if stored indoors, under cover or whatever. Was it ethonal fuel? if so even worse.

I would put in 2 gal of Av gas and top it off with 91.

(I like to add some av gas to help with the oct of the rotten stuff still in the bottom of the tank) don't know if it helps but 10 years and no problems.

Thunder

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Update....

Ok, so i didn't take it out last weekend, rode the wife's M7 instead

I put the fuel pressure gauge on this afternoon after work and started it up, gauge was reading right around 45 psi, then when i shut the sled off it slowly dropped and within about 2 min was down to 30 or so

What does this mean??

Mac, i also tried to hook the PCIII up to my laptop the other day and i couldn't even get it to read the fuel controller?? I do have another usb cord that i wanted to try on the way because the one i used is actually the one from my playstation 3.....

Also when i started it to see what the fuel pressure was it was idling around 2800-2900 RPM... just seems really high to me?????

So i'm on the verg of putting my stock y-pipe and pipe back on and riding it this weekend without the PCIII to see if it makes a difference or not

Any other opinions?

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
It simply sounds like the gas is bad. It sat for a long time and you had stabilizer in it, but that doesn't necessarily protect you from bad gas you may have gotten from some station on a refill from now or when you stored it. Did you store it with a full tank? If not, that can encourage octane loss and moisture accumulation. Ethanol ratings are typically minimum 10%...you might have more in that fill-up and it might be drawing moisture. And you might have pulled from the bottom of the station's tank. I would try the simple thing first...dump the gas and refill with a reputable high traffic gas station. I have had similar issues before and turned out it was simply that I got bad gas from a station. Has cost me a few pistons over the years. From my standpoint, you didn't do anything different and a major variable is what kind of gas you put in it. Drain and try again. Try non-ethanol if you can...it typically more stable as it doesn't pull as much moisture.

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Ok, so i got my stuff from dynojet today and was able to get the PCIII to communicate with my computer! I did the TPS calibration, the new numbers were a little different but not much.....

So since i had it running in the garage with the track in the air i decided to go ahead the rap it out a few times, didn't seem to give me to much trouble but only time will tell....

I also decided to check on the plugs and piston wash after running it wide open in the garage a few times, i think i'm safe from a burn down but i think i'm definitly running a little rich here are the plugs and pistons, feel free to give your input....... i'm not an expert by any means

Plugs from PTO side
Pto_plugs.jpg

Plugs from MAG side
Mag_plugs.jpg

Piston PTO through plug hole
PTO_plughole.jpg

Piston MAG through plug hole
Mag_plughole.jpg

Piston PTO through exhaust port
Pto_exhaust.jpg

Piston MAG through exhaust port
Mag_exhaust.jpg

Im starting to chock this up to bad/old fuel and a faulty egt sensor that had me looking in other directions. With it appearing to run this rich i think i'll be fine to run it with the pipe and such on even if my egt's are being weird, i just don't like looking down and seeing 1300 degrees :face-icon-small-sho

So for now i'll plan on putting it together and seeing if things clear up with another ride on fresh gas and the TPS calibrated unless one of you guys sees something that is throwing a red flag

Thanks

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Well, just an update.... Had the sled out yesterday and it ran great. I treated the fuel with star-tron and that seamed to help. I think I had a combination of old/bad fuel and a faulty egt sensor causing me to chase something that wasn't there. Thanks to everyone for your help and input.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tsztkw

Premium Features