• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Help!! Sled Fouling Plugs

TUFFPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2011
Alberta
No have not checked injectors. Was thinking about just changing those as well but didn't have time. We'll see how it runs tomorrow And go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
FWIW I thought my sled was fouling plugs earlier this year if I put in a new set it would run great for an hour then start sputtering. I replaced the boots with ngk boots and die electric grease on the terminals and hasn't skipped a beat since

TUFFPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2011
Alberta
Put on about 60 miles today in mcbride bc. Fouled 2 or 3 sets of plugs which is a huge improvement from riding at home. Sled ran horrible though. Has no top end. Once under load it sputtered and would rev 6-7 wot. Sled smokes black and also leaves a black strip in the snow from the exhaust. Thinking no over fueling on top?? Gonna call mtntk when I get back and try to get it figured out.

D
Nov 28, 2007
Just a hunch here, but an easy check for ya. If the sled won't make power at open throttle positions it is very possible that the power valves are not opening. Check the vacuum lines from the power valves to the vacuum module. Make sure you don't have a leak there or a break in the cheap plastic fittings. If the power valves don't open or are plugged with over oiling then clean them up. Easy checks.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Poor ignition will show a fuel rich plug condition. Highly suggest getting new plug wires (or boots -that sometimes solves the problem as hamlin pointed out). The SLP version is nicer and cheaper than stock (there's a reason they are supplying them, trust me - or ask them yourself). If you aren't using dielectric grease in the stock plug boots then you'll be lucky to get two seasons out of the stock wires. Make sure the stock wires are properly connected at the coil too and check condition of wires themselves - seen many that are worn thru because they weren't secured properly.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Faulty power valves will not cause fouled plugs but will kill top end power; highly doubt that to be the issue.

Last edited:

TUFFPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2011
Alberta
Ya at times it kinda feels like sticky exhaust valves but I highly doubt that is the problem. They were taken apart and cleaned last week when the top end was done

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Time to try the small stuff? I think the caps should read about 5K ohms.
SLP's set on mime needed the little plastic things to hold them on. I went with Cat OEM and solid core wire from a auto store.

Not end all but a simple check for spark strength. Break off the ground electrode right at the body on one of your "done" plugs. Plug it in the cap and pull through. Spark should bridge the extra long gap (takes more energy under compression) with a nice blue arc. Yellow color means dig a little further in this direction.

My Pro (doesn't foul plugs) is what I consider marginal arc strength with this test but still blue.

TUFFPOLARIS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2011
Alberta
Just thought Id update this thread. Finally got the sled running like it should, just need to work a bit on the clutching. It ended up being a combination of problems. I forget in what order everything was done but here's the list of problems.

First off MTNTK requires you remove the plastic pieces and the sponge in the intake on the hood but one page was missing from the instructions when the kit was installed so that was never done.

MTNTK thought the issue might be that my can was too restrictive so I bought a new HPS can that they just recently had built specifically for their kit.

The sled was running rich the entire time and I tried 4 different maps. Finally the fourth map was dead on.

Injectors were replaced, TPS was replaced, Exhaust valve solenoid was replaced and finally the stator was replaced. It ran a bit better after each part was replaced, and finally its running consistently after doing the stator.

A small part of the issue was due to MTNTK's mapping being too rich but most of the problems were electrical components on the sled.

Just glad to finally get it running like it should. Now I gotta decide if I want to upgrade to a '16 or keep this thing for next year lol.

Last edited:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Thanks a bunch for the feedback, very helpful to hear solutions to these kinds of problems!

Got a little sputtering on mine as well, though I can ride for quite some time on a set of plugs. Going to start checking these things out and starting with the wires.

Mine runs good though, it's an -11 and I have never liked it better.

RS

Premium Features