• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need HELP identifying an older Polaris Primary Clutch

P
Apr 17, 2008
Hello,
I recently acquired a 1985 Polaris Indy 400 from a friend and have been repairing several issues. This sled was modified before he got it and i dont think the primary clutch is original.
i have run into problems getting some of the parts needed to rebuild the primary clutch, namely the moveable sheave bushing. The polaris Fiche for a 85 indy 400 says this is a 2 part assembly with a fiber bushing and a metal insert ring. The clutch i have has a single metal bushing with a split in it and the bushing has a fiber lining on the inside, (See pictures), the bushing measures 3/4" thick, the Inside dia. 1 9/16", the outside dia. is 1 3/4". I looked at a P90 moveable bushing and it was not as thick or wide as the bushing i have.

Here are some other facts about the clutch i have:
Brass Cover Bushing
Part # on side of moveable sheave 489 111488 see picture
ALCOA forged spider
Narrow rollers and small diameter buttons
Clutch bolt with 5' aluminum spacer and oring around it
Any help identifying the model and year of the clutch or the part number of the metal movable bushing I have would be greatly appreciated

metal buching with fiber on inside.jpeg Bushing in moveable sheave.jpg Movable Sheave part #.jpeg Sheaves.jpeg

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I believe that is the old style enclosed clutch bushing... might well have been replaced at some point in the past and they used that bushing.

I have a set of the 2 piece bushings in the cabinet... I can measure them and see if they will work for you. There isn't anything special about the boss in the clutch to accept them. They just went to a fiber bushing and the steel retaining ring.

According to my parts listing the 84-98 400/440/500 liquid cooled machines all use the same clutch.

sled_guy

P
Apr 17, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I got the fiber bushing part # 3576502 and metal ring part# 5010188 when I ordered the parts to rebuild the clutch. The OD of both of these parts is larger than the bushing I took out of the clutch and won't work. This is what leads me to believe this is not the stock 85 clutch. Maybe an earlier model?

P
Apr 17, 2008
more pictures of clutch

I took some more pictures to help identify the clutch. thanks for the reply Sled-Guy.
I tried the new style bushing, (part# 3576502), on the fixed sheave shaft and it was loose. The new style fiber bushing is 1 15/16 OD and 1 5/8 ID. my old metal bushing is 1 3/4 OD and 1 9/16 id. so even if i had the clutch moveable machined, the new fiber bushing is still too big of an ID for the shaft. Its either find a metal bushing that will work or I'm out of luck

clutch1.jpg clutch2.jpg

D
Apr 2, 2014
I have exactly the same problem. My clutch is from a 1991 Polaris 500 (not sure if it is the original clutch for that sled). Did you find any bushing that fits?

Premium Features