• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Narrow sled decks

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
My half ton truck looks like an airplane with my deck fully extended for two machines, so my buddy and I had been kicking around the idea of a narrowed down sled deck. Modern sleds' ski stance has changed alot in the last 10 years, going from 42", to 39", 36" and now 34" ski stance but sled decks have stayed 8'6 or wider. We re-drilled my deck to 7'6 and it comfortably holds two 36" sleds.

On a full size truck, a 7'6 wide deck barely hangs over and would not need to be 'expandable'. I am curious if manufactures will start doing this. And if Superclamp is going to start making narrow clamps for modern machines.

5lpZpE2KQ4qPRDFYIhr+7w.jpg NBgCgYtNQQKZmNxEK8vCfg.jpg 1oku+8N0TqWjYr0WOLmwzw.jpg

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
Nice! I was thinking the same exact thing. I just ordered a Diamondback HD Tonneau Cover for my truck and was going to make sides for it to fit two sleds. I'm looking to see if it will substitute need both a Tonneau Cover and a sled deck.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Just drill new holes to relocate the locking pins. Mine has never been out all the way for years.
^^^yeah, what he said. Why not just keep the slide outs closer in?

that's what I did. I am curious if anyone else has thought of this, and if it's going to become the new norm, or is superclamp will provide a 'narrow' option!

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Only Issue I have is the ramp does not line up well with the superglides on the deck when in the narrower position.
Same with mine, I think the superwide ski guides were created to mitigate that. I wonder if ramps will start to become more narrow!

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
Put a sheet composite material on your deck then you dont need to worry about having superglides anymore. Its a lil pricy but super tough, ski carbides hardly touch the stuff. Ive had it on my FullLotus sled deck since new from 2010 and hardly a scratch on it.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Put a sheet composite material on your deck then you dont need to worry about having superglides anymore. Its a lil pricy but super tough, ski carbides hardly touch the stuff. Ive had it on my FullLotus sled deck since new from 2010 and hardly a scratch on it.

What did you get for a sheet composite material panel?

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
It was on the deck when I bought from Full Lotus/Mammoth. It is some kind of hard resin/plastic. they buy it in 4x 8 sheets. My local hardware store can order it in here in Canada

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
It was on the deck when I bought from Full Lotus/Mammoth. It is some kind of hard resin/plastic. they buy it in 4x 8 sheets. My local hardware store can order it in here in Canada
Puckboard works good but it is slippery. I got rif of the plywood and had mine replaced with 3/16' thick aluminum plate that is powdercoated with a type grip coating. It is really durable but has few scratches from carbides.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
I had cut down super clamps on my last deck but I'm leaving them long on my current deck. I have a North Cascades deck with the plastic sheeting without ski glides. I leave the deck full width so I have one extra step on the high side just in case I need a little extra room but I've thought about whether it really needs the width with modern sleds. If I ever switch to a flatbed I'll keep it as narrow as I can.

Premium Features