• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

my impulse replica kit

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Dave I have not once ever taken credit for your hard work. I have told everybody what kind of guy well I thought you were and thanked you many many times. I dont try to make my self look bigger to my buddies if u knew me you would say diff. for sure. Im not a turbo expert I never claimed to be one you only learn by asking ? no ? is a stupid one right? That was my first turbo I ever built for a sled and yes you and darrens help was outstanding to me. The kit worked flawlessly 1400 mile zero issues and ran very hard. Because I copied you why wouldnt it work. But now when everybody sees my sled in a months or so. They will have no room to say its a copy.There may be somethings that are similar like in most kits.You didn't have to help me one bit when I called you. But you did sorry so next time tell me no its not to hard to hear. I am smart enough to figure this all out on my own. But why not copy someone elses that works very well. I dont have the money to spend on a real kit when I can build it for half the price. Do u think people just have money coming out there ears? Who was the first kit to use a 2860? well every body took that guys idea. Thanks sledhead162

You say "I am smart enough to figure this out on my own". Lol! Most contradicting thing I've heard all year. If you are that smart quit calling turbo builders who spend too much time as it is dealing with custumer service, just to copy what they have put so much time and money into. And if your smart enough to do it on your own why did you call Paul lying to him that you had one of his kits and were missing instructions when you never had one of his kits? If you are smart enough to figure these things out like YOU said, quit wasting peoples time.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Grande Prairie,AB
Man these heated debates are fun......I actually look forward to coming on here now. It was very boring for along time. Now it's fun again......Thanks to everyone weather what you said was right or wrong it doesn't really matter!!

From what I see no two kit's are alike, They are all different. You could patent a kit and the next one that you build would be different. All that has to be done to get around a patent, is to change it up abit. Add a bend here or change to a different bolt or cable or use anything different. Every turbo kit is different but yet they are all the same!!!! That's also why we all drive different car's and truck's. You guy's don't think ford was made at dodge for building a truck!!! or Dodge to chev. How about chev to Gmc they come off the same line.:eek:

The kit that should be replicated is Boondocker. They have Skidoo,Polaris and Arctic cat to build for. I personally would love to see some competition there as we won't be running Yamaha forever. There are 10 guy's building for Yamaha's but only a handful for 2 strokes!!!! Watch Jackson hole hillclimbs they are being dominated by Arctic cat, not 1 single Yammy was even there!!!! Trav:eek::face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

sledhead162

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
You say "I am smart enough to figure this out on my own". Lol! Most contradicting thing I've heard all year. If you are that smart quit calling turbo builders who spend too much time as it is dealing with custumer service, just to copy what they have put so much time and money into. And if your smart enough to do it on your own why did you call Paul lying to him that you had one of his kits and were missing instructions when you never had one of his kits? If you are smart enough to figure these things out like YOU said, quit wasting peoples time.
If people are willing to help why not learn from them, every one of these turbo builders learned from some one else they didnt live in a black box and build these kits with no help. so what your telling me is all I have to do is change the design of my intercooler so its my own and change the design of my header so its my own and people will stop the bashing? thanks sledhead162 I have already talked to Paul and apologised for saying I had a kit. Hey if im wasting peoples time zebiraross let them ask me to stop not a prob. but you telling me this doesnt mean a thing!!!

Last edited:

sledhead162

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
I would completly agree with all you guys who have a prob. with this if i was gonna try to mass produce and sale these kits and use everything paul has worked for but im not im doing for me and a buddy.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
I would completly agree with all you guys who have a prob. with this if i was gonna try to mass produce and sale these kits and use everything paul has worked for but im not im doing for me and a buddy.

True.. But on the other hand i really dont think Paul wants a kit running around looking like his and people thinking its his when its not.And when you go to sell it being sure the buyer knows who made it and WHO to call if YOUR intercooler or header cracks Or just a problem period.I think thats one of Pauls concerns and Dave would probably feel the same. They don't need to be on the phone helping someone out if the buyer never bought from them or has no intent. Other people who own a kit or want to buy one are on the other line on hold waiting. Not trying to be a dick to ya and never have just giving my opinion and still think its cool you can fabricate:beer;

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
The fact that you can build this is pretty cool. but cmon man, lying to someone and intentionally wasting there time is BS. The fact is that Paul is too nice a guy to tell you to piss off and you took advantage off that. Not Cool.:(

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Are you guys still at it ??????????

Do you actually remember who had the first turbo kit????
And how many of the now well regarded turbo shops made copies of them????
Now these same people have issues with some guy building a turbo kit for him and his buddy ----- Get real -----

Think about it for a second!!!!!

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Are you guys still at it ??????????

Do you actually remember who had the first turbo kit????
And how many of the now well regarded turbo shops made copies of them????
Now these same people have issues with some guy building a turbo kit for him and his buddy ----- Get real -----

Think about it for a second!!!!!

Most people in this thread probably don't know the full history of the turbo Yammis. It was interesting to read Daves (Powderlites) post. I commend him on being so helpful. He was what could be considered a mentor to many who were trying to understand how a properly functioning system should work. The exchange of knowledge is a good thing, even though sometimes it can hurt you in the wallet. That being said the very first copy I ever recall was the Alpine/Powderlites effort to duplicate the original MC front mount setup. It was a blatant copy of the Swedish original, and they were in the game to mass produce it.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
If people are willing to help why not learn from them, every one of these turbo builders learned from some one else they didnt live in a black box and build these kits with no help. so what your telling me is all I have to do is change the design of my intercooler so its my own and change the design of my header so its my own and people will stop the bashing? thanks sledhead162 I have already talked to Paul and apologised for saying I had a kit. Hey if im wasting peoples time zebiraross let them ask me to stop not a prob. but you telling me this doesnt mean a thing!!!

I never said there is anything wrong with asking questions and learning from other people. No doubt all turbo builders learn from others. Don't put words into my mouth. But asking questions and learning is a lot different the copying a kit. Calling Paul and lying to him to get some instructions so you could copy what he has made is wrong. Of course he would talk to you if he thought you had his kit. If he knew you were lying and trying to pull the wool over his eyes he probably wouldn't of given you the information that he did. If you called and appologized this is admiting you were doing something wrong. I don't understand why you are still trying to justify things if you appologized.

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
Zebiraross, if Paul as worried about it, he can post or talk to the guy about it. He is a member here. There is no patent or copyright for turbo kits. Have you ever built anything that you saw someone else have and thought, I can make that. Probably 1/2 of us on this site have. I built my own sled lift, copied it right off another one using exact dimensions. Is that a problem too?

He is building it for his personal use, if he was selling it Different story.

Last edited:

sledhead162

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
zebiraross if i would of put home made turbo kit as the title what would people have said im just wondering? thanks sledhead162:confused:

T
Nov 27, 2007
Grande Prairie,AB
Washy,

Any idea what the sled lift cost to build verse buying one? I was thinking of doing the same for me and a couple friends. I am sure they have come down in price now that many more people are building them. hhmmmm .......... I bet turbo kit's will come down in price soon as well. Did you make your to be used with air or manual? Thanks Trav:beer;:beer;

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
Washy,

Any idea what the sled lift cost to build verse buying one? I was thinking of doing the same for me and a couple friends. I am sure they have come down in price now that many more people are building them. hhmmmm .......... I bet turbo kit's will come down in price soon as well. Did you make your to be used with air or manual? Thanks Trav:beer;:beer;

WOW, I will let the be. I have spoken my opinion on the subject, BUILD IT.

Last edited:
Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Zebiraross, if Paul as worried about it, he can post or talk to the guy about it. He is a member here. There is no patent or copyright for turbo kits. Have you ever built anything that you saw someone else have and thought, I can make that. Probably 1/2 of us on this site have. I built my own sled lift, copied it right off another one using exact dimensions. Is that a problem too?

Washy, I can state my opinion just like you are here. In fact the one who originated this thread asked "what do you guys think?". So, I'm telling him what I think. And I'll continue give my opinion as long as I feel like it.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Zebiraross, relax! Don't you have anything better to do than to be pissed at Sleadhead162 because you spent all the money you did on your Impulse turbo? Just like I said before..........usually the guys that are jealous or spent to much bark the loudest. You're starting to make a complete fool of yourself...........

Aaron

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
T583,
You make a great point.
Do you think that if these guys need some info and do call Paul for help that Paul should help them out?

I think it is called customer service, building customer raport, or building a clientel. But it is his business. He should figure out on his own how to maximize profits. It has been my experience that dealers willing to help me out generally get my business regardless of price. Some dealers don't understand that to some tinkering is most of the fun. True, some don't like to tinker. He can pick his market plan.

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com

I disagree. I am kinda glad that the inventor of an idea doesn't have complete control forever. Who invented the first snowmobile? How many manufactures were there at one time? How marny are there now? Is competition good or bad? I feel bad for the business man who gets his idea stolen. But it happens all the time. especially in the snowmobile after market. The big 4 are already stealing the turbo ideas since they offer turbo 4 strokes. Someday they will offer turbo two strokes. Once yamaha offers a stock turbo, I am sure all of the kit builders will feel the pain of lost market share. Sorry, its just business and competition.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Most people in this thread probably don't know the full history of the turbo Yammis. It was interesting to read Daves (Powderlites) post. I commend him on being so helpful. He was what could be considered a mentor to many who were trying to understand how a properly functioning system should work. The exchange of knowledge is a good thing, even though sometimes it can hurt you in the wallet. That being said the very first copy I ever recall was the Alpine/Powderlites effort to duplicate the original MC front mount setup. It was a blatant copy of the Swedish original, and they were in the game to mass produce it.

This is an intersting point and I could be wrong but thats how I remember it as well.

Powderlites Dave I have a question for you, and I'm just playing the devils advocate here but how did you make the CPR header I bought from you without having one in your hands to jig up? Lucky guess on the angles and fit? It's not your design it's Jeff Simons so is that copying? It's right there on your website and you make money from someone elses design. My point is here is that no one in the turbo business should be pointing any fingers because in the end there really is a only finite number of ways to skin the cat, front mount, rear mount, mid mount and side mount, the difference is in the little details, thats what you pay for and the service and I too believe turbo kits are going to come down in price.

JMO

M5

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
i disagree. I am kinda glad that the inventor of an idea doesn't have complete control forever. Who invented the first snowmobile? How many manufactures were there at one time? How marny are there now? Is competition good or bad? I feel bad for the business man who gets his idea stolen. But it happens all the time. Especially in the snowmobile after market. The big 4 are already stealing the turbo ideas since they offer turbo 4 strokes. Someday they will offer turbo two strokes. Once yamaha offers a stock turbo, i am sure all of the kit builders will feel the pain of lost market share. Sorry, its just business and competition.

good point.

Premium Features