• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTX Driver Problems

H
Mar 6, 2008
I have an 08 MTX that I changed the rear skid and track. I put an ez-ryde rear skid and a 153" Arctic Cat M7 challenger track on. I was out riding yesterday and noticed the track started to slip. I did not think much of until I started to feel a strange vibration. I got off the sled and notice the approach angle looked rather strange and after futher looking into it I noticed the extrovert driver on the chaincase side had moved on the shaft and was out of alignment. The extrovert drivers were really chewed up. Has anyone had similar problems or does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to correct this problem??????

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.:confused:

I have added some pictures to see what it looks like. It is kind of hard to see but it looks like to me that the sproket started to move a little bit but it also looks like the bushing might have moved a little bit. It really looks like heat may have been an issue but the other side looks fine. There was not a lot of room for error when I installed the Ez-Ryde. Once it was in and I started to adjust it there is probably only about 1/2" or less between the end of the rail and the track clips as it comes around the wheels.

??????????????????????????????????

IMG_1899.jpg IMG_1905.jpg IMG_1903.jpg IMG_1901.jpg IMG_1902.jpg

Last edited:
J
Nov 27, 2007
drivers

if they are the stock ones, take them off and put avids in, get the cnc,d white ones. you should never have another problem. julio

W

woodies

wow is all i can say, hard to move a driver with a press. they always look chewed up just way it is, tighten track and go. maybe post a picture to see for sure.

R
Jan 18, 2009
St PaulAB
Had the same thing happen to my MTX. Dealer replaced drivers on warranty.I have close to 1900 miles with Kmod rear suspension and this being the first real problem with my machine.

H
Mar 6, 2008
I have added a couple of pictures to my original post. It is kind of hard to see but yes it is amazing that it shifted out of alignment.

K

khk

Dec 3, 2007
Underwood WA
the stock drivers are junk I had a friend have this happen and it was a stock Nytro. if you are running a Ezride thy like to run on the tight side compared to a stock skid it has Benn my experience that if the track is not in speck for tightness it will do damage to the drivers. Like julio said switch to avids or walls I have run both with good results I like the walls better there is not as much vibration as the avids but I think the avids last longer. just my o2

W

woodies

looking at the pictures i figure you ran hot and melted. i was looking for pictures to show but i'm on wrong putter! i did the same and it's not good but! 700 miles later i'm still running without ratcheting! total of 2300 miles and they are still good.

W

woodies

100_1798-1.jpg

hard to see the black from the drivers maybe but white slides showed me the problem!!! i know WTF was i doing riding no snow! had to test the build!

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
you spun a driver, you can see it in the first pic. no fixing them, get the dealer to warrantee them or replace them with avids. i did this a few weeks ago with a non boosted nytro mtx as well. ski

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
if they are the stock ones, take them off and put avids in, get the cnc,d white ones. you should never have another problem. julio

I agree with ski it looks like you spun the drivers.. I just spun a set of Avid drivers last week and still need to go back up in the mountains and retrieve my sled.. hope it's still there.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Is your track fully cliped? I had a problem on my T-Nitro chewing avids cause the track was only cliped every other. I had to install a track that was fully cliped to solve the problem.

H
Mar 6, 2008
Yes, the track is fully clipped. Also I was on Avid's site looking at their products and see that they have the combo intro/extro drivers. Is anyone replacing the 4 stock drivers with the combo drivers? That is what I was thinking about doing. 7 tooth 3" any suggestions or am I going in the right direction.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

H
Mar 6, 2008
Sweet sled woodies, I would have wanted to test the sled as well. I think I know when this probably happend. I was out riding and it did get really warm that day and on our way back the snow got pretty icy and hard with very little lubrcation the last couple of miles.

W

woodies

went out and took picture. and soon as i looked past the melted extroverts i see your problem!
100_2162.jpg

i'll get mine changed when i replace the chain this summer!!!!!!!notice mine are almost ready too!!!!

Last edited:

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
i believe the failure occurs due to heat, and not a large enough, tight enough, and or strong enough retaining ring for the driver to the axle. anyone riding the least bit aggressive should swap out drivers during any track, service. you WILL need to do it sooner or later anyway. might as well avoid wrecking a weekend or week long planned trip, when these fail on you.

over the summer i will be fully clipping bothof mine and my wifes sleds as well. ski

Premium Features