• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK or RK TEK in a Dragon?

S
I got a 2010 800 Dragon about a month ago and I want to do a fix kit before I have any problems. I have looked at lots of the threads and had decided on the MTNTK kit but then a friend recommended the RK TEK kit. Any input or threads that have already explored this?

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
I was in the same predicament and ultimately decided to go with the mtntk because it was designed specifically for the dragons and has been tested in them more. Which ever one you choose make sure to get a new mono block. Good luck

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I was in the same predicament and ultimately decided to go with the mtntk because it was designed specifically for the dragons and has been tested in them more. Which ever one you choose make sure to get a new mono block. Good luck

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

He makes a good point. The stress to the cylinder skirt may have already been done from the loose pistons slapping around. Inspect really close, and some say send off the cylinder regardless.

S
Thanks for the replies. The seller said it had a new top end 300 miles ago (1100 miles total). The MTNTK kit seems to make sense and I am concerned about the RK TEK kit because as far as I can tell it just replaces the pistons. MTNTK suggested that I at least have the cylinders honed and checked and I hope that that is all it needs.

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
Thanks for the replies. The seller said it had a new top end 300 miles ago (1100 miles total). The MTNTK kit seems to make sense and I am concerned about the RK TEK kit because as far as I can tell it just replaces the pistons. MTNTK suggested that I at least have the cylinders honed and checked and I hope that that is all it needs.

If you change pistons, you MUST get cylinders honed anyways. This is the operation you cannot avoid - you put stock pistons, RkTek, or MTNTK.

T
Nov 28, 2007
I would try the rkt Wozzner pistons. I've seen a few "fix" kits go down around here due to the usual wisecoe just being too sensitive to temp change. Also if you ever did hurt a piston , by not having the fix shim you could always throw a stock dimensioned piston in in a bind .

Premium Features