• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtn Max Carb Syncronizing?

S
Feb 15, 2011
Can anyone enlighten me?

I have had the carbs off of two 00 Mtn Max 600's, and an 02 700 in the past month. The slides were all out of sync. i have heard in the past that they are somehow set up different that way from the factory, to compensate for each cylinder differences. Now obviously there is no way to hook up a sync tool that I can see. So i adjusted them with a drill bit, to make them all equal gap or height. Useing the center as the baseline. Now my 600cc has 115, 110 ,110 compression. Pto jetted richer, (at least the main). At idle, pulling spark plug wire, the pto side has the biggest effect and will kill motor. The other two, obviously are fireing, but with not near as much effect. I am absolutely certain the carbs are clean, and no clogged pilot circuts. My plugs are near new codition. So my question is, what is the correct way to sync. It seems to me, if my memory is correct. That the last two I had done, Pto smallest gap, center more gap, and mag side carb had the largest slide gap. And I am stareing at a set right now, and the Pto carb has the least gap, and center higher, and mag highest. So the same as the last two i cleaned, as far as I remember. So does anyone have the answer? Your input is appreciated.

S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
I have a 98 700sx and I've always used the drill bit method to sync the carbs. My service manual says to set all three the same, one of them is used to set the other two. I don't remember which it is. I have always set all three the same, and have a very strong, smooth running 700 triple.

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
I have a 98 700sx and I've always used the drill bit method to sync the carbs. My service manual says to set all three the same, one of them is used to set the other two. I don't remember which it is. I have always set all three the same, and have a very strong, smooth running 700 triple.

I agree I have always set them the same.

Premium Features