• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

*****MPI Viper Turbo Oil Fix*****

I
Nov 26, 2007
Good for mpi on finally fixing the problem, I can understand some frustration from customers but remember, you chose to buy from the lowest bidder when modding your sled.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
I guess I am a little more patient as I have had Nytro's and Phazer's upside down and puke oil on the belt.....in fact I lost count on how many Phazer belts I oiled until I built my own roll over valve. The Viper is much better at oil loss than the Phazer was but it is still annoying to say the least. I will be buying this MPI kit as soon as it is available to the public for both my non boosted Vipers.

I guess my point here is this was not a MPI issue but a very well known Yamaha 4 stroke issue. Did the turbo make it worse? Not sure but I am sure this oil everywhere issue has been with us a very long time and I am very happy MPI has a cheap fix for it.
iam not here to start a pissing match but mpi is the only turbo kit maker having issues & they are the only ones moving the air separator.so its pretty easy to see where the prob is,yamaha put the air separator where it was for a reason mpi moved it.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
iam not here to start a pissing match but mpi is the only turbo kit maker having issues & they are the only ones moving the air separator.so its pretty easy to see where the prob is,yamaha put the air separator where it was for a reason mpi moved it.

Thanks! And here I thought all those belts I oiled were for real glad you could point out I was just imaging it. And that oil our non boosted red Viper lost while on its side at Grand Mesa was just our imagination also! Thanks!

BTW the roll over kit here says for all Vipers, could you please contact them and let them know it is only needed for MPI turbo sleds? http://oftracing.com/OnlineStore15/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=158

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

I wondered why you would say something like this then I realized you are building a competitor turbo to MPI turbo. Boost-it I believe? Nothing wrong with backing your vendor but please be honest about it.

Tell Neil my non radiator non boosted Viper still cools well with the scratchers down...just like an M8. For those that don't remember Neil said "Deleting the stock rad is a waste of time and money. There is no way the bulkhead cooler will make up the cooling needed for this motor."

Good luck.

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Stingray719 - wow. As for MPI being a competitor for Boost-It the answer is a definite no.

But good on MPI for coming up with a fix for the issue their kit is having.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
I wondered why you would say something like this then I realized you are building a competitor turbo to MPI turbo. Boost-it I believe? Nothing wrong with backing your vendor but please be honest about it.

Tell Neil my non radiator non boosted Viper still cools well with the scratchers down...just like an M8. For those that don't remember Neil said "Deleting the stock rad is a waste of time and money. There is no way the bulkhead cooler will make up the cooling needed for this motor."

Good luck.

lol this just goes to show how big of a idiot you are,yes i run a boost it kit & recommended them to people,i have also recommended mpi kits to alot of people.i also offered up a fix for the mpi issue that does the same thing as the mpi fix,stopping the oil from backfilling the air separator so how would your stock machine backfill the separator when its in the right position,oh thats right its not its only leaking oil when upsidedown witch a rov would solve.
you are the only one that bashes people for questioning your ideas,iam simply trying to help guys to get there sleds running the way they should.
you need to grow up & stop being the problem,when you have no idea what your talking about,you are just making yourself look stupid.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c

Good luck.

oh i dont work for boost it just another thing your wrong about.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
LOL with the scratchers down....Over 700 miles on our Viper and the stock belt that was touted as being garbage by you know who still looks pretty good as well.

DPG

Last edited:
S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
lol this just goes to show how big of a idiot you are,yes i run a boost it kit & recommended them to people,i have also recommended mpi kits to alot of people.i also offered up a fix for the mpi issue that does the same thing as the mpi fix,stopping the oil from backfilling the air separator so how would your stock machine backfill the separator when its in the right position,oh thats right its not its only leaking oil when upsidedown witch a rov would solve.
you are the only one that bashes people for questioning your ideas,iam simply trying to help guys to get there sleds running the way they should.
you need to grow up & stop being the problem,when you have no idea what your talking about,you are just making yourself look stupid.

21 minutes ago on the facebook page "Yamaha Viper Owners" group a guy asked how to reprime his STOCK Viper after it was on its side and also lost oil. I didn't have to go far to get an example of this same issue with oil out the separator. Question for you, will this MPI fix also fix the oil out the separator on the stock sleds?

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
On a side note still no oil loss and installed a 0-15 psi gauge for boost( mechanical) hitting 5 at sea level on the stand. Compound gauge I got from EVO is not what you need if you just want to know. Belt dust with stock apex and viper are the same. Have not bent the tunnel yet knock on wood, but I'm seeing rub spots on the skid from the track whacking, it's just slightly loser that OEM. If we could some godamn snow for some real riding life would better:face-icon-small-coo

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
You can source a banjo fitting for the hose, work well and you can move it to the best angle needed...

True a banjo would be nice. But in testing the banjo bolt wouldn't flow enough oil. We have a few hundred billet banjo fitting that are the perfect size in stock that we made for another project that we would love to use.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Hey Matt is there that much oil coming through that line to warrant not using one. All it needs to do is drain the oil that makes it to the oil air separator correct?? Just curious or does this fix take care of the need of using a roll over valve. I would think the only time there should be a lot of oil in that line is if the sled is upside down and the motor is still running in which case oil would be still being pumped by the scavenger pump in the bottom of the engine.

Last edited:

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Big thanks to Matt @ MPI for getting these out so fast! Mine showed up today. I assume the shim goes between the motor and the threaded plug? Why different sizes though? 0.1, 0.2, 0.5

uploadfromtaptalk1422652194291.jpg

Tomkat700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2013
Pierce, Co
Big thanks to Matt @ MPI for getting these out so fast! Mine showed up today. I assume the shim goes between the motor and the threaded plug? Why different sizes though? 0.1, 0.2, 0.5

Matt put a link up for the directions earlier in the thread, the shims are to align the fitting with the return line.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Hey Matt is there that much oil coming through that line to warrant not using one. All it needs to do is drain the oil that makes it to the oil air separator correct?? Just curious or does this fix take care of the need of using a roll over valve. I would think the only time there should be a lot of oil in that line is if the sled is upside down and the motor is still running in which case oil would be still being pumped by the scavenger pump in the bottom of the engine.

Yes and no? This is a problem that we've had with this whole separator thing from day 1 with or without our relocation. Yes it should only need to drain the separator oil but it has more oil then it should have running through it. The nice thing about returning the oil to the motor and not the tank is that if you did roll over with or without a ROV whatever oil that's in the line and in the separator will get sucked back into the motor. So I think the best set-up is to run a ROV also.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well.
I can now count myself among those that have experienced this issue first hand in person.

Was out riding on a Turbo Viper today and rolled it over and sure enough, I get baptized. :face-icon-small-hap

picture.php

One more kit that needs to be installed.

On the brighter side.
DAMN!!
What a KICK IN THE PANTS this Viper is with the MPI Turbo installed on it!

Premium Features