• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moving flatbed to new truck.....what do I want?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I've got a custom built flatbed made for sleds that I want to hold on to. It's on a 1996 chevy k1500. The truck is fine but I want something with a little more grunt at elevation. I live at 6k and go up from there.

The dumb question: Will the rails of the flatbed fit on non-chevy frames? Is frame spacing standard? I guess that goes for newer chevy/gmc trucks too.

The less dumb question: I don't really want to deal with diesel since it's mostly used in the cold (plus repairs I can't do myself), so what's a good gas truck to replace it with?

I'm not buying any gas dodge so we're talking chevy or ford here.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Frame width varies, not only from manufacturer to manufacturer but also within the manufacturer's models and yrs.
Yay!
Should be close enough to work on non dually(skinny) and newer f-150s(wide)

Polaris

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Gas engines, my work truck 2011 chevy 1500 has a 5.3l with 300,000 miles. Still runs good. Power is great unless u tow, then it's eh.....
I really like the power of the diesel but i totally get why u don't want one.
If u get a Denali, they have the 6.2l, plenty of power!
Ford, u can get the ecoboost and have lots of power at elevation.. 3.5l v6 that will tow like a big block. But i recommend 2015+, so more money than an older GM.

If u are stepping up to 3/4 - 1ton, i think Ford makes a better truck but powertrain is equal to GM.
I have a duramax, i miss the Ford cab.

Polaris

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Ford F-150 went to a 10 speed automatic transmission (maybe Allison?) in 2018. Paired with the 3.5 ecoboost engine, it does pull very good, as it keeps the RPM in the "sweet spot" for the best torque, and is MUCH better than the 6 speed transmission. BUT she does get a little thirsty pulling heavy loads!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Ford F-150 went to a 10 speed automatic transmission (maybe Allison?) in 2018. Paired with the 3.5 ecoboost engine, it does pull very good, as it keeps the RPM in the "sweet spot" for the best torque, and is MUCH better than the 6 speed transmission. BUT she does get a little thirsty pulling heavy loads!
Ford and GM built and share the same 10sp tranny.

Polaris

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
What the hell happened to truck prices? Eeesh, it's getting ridiculous. I'm actually kicking around the idea of just a new motor and tranny.

Thanks for the input guys. A 10sp would be heaven.

the most I'd be pulling is two sleds on the bed and then a small 16ft camper.

kbroderick

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2017

The 3.5EB got the 10-speed transmission and an engine design update in the 2017 MY; the 2.7EB and the 5.0 V8 got the 10-speed in the 2019 MY.

If you're looking for pep at elevation, the 3.5EB is probably your best bet amongst the F-150 options (the V8 is capable but suffers at elevation like any normally aspirated engine), but a two-sled deck is likely to put you*near your payload limit even before you add the trailer tongue weight. A lightly-optioned XL or XLT might work, and an HDPP (the "heavy half" option, payload often over 2k pounds) would probably work but is tough to find on a lot. Keep in mind when considering payload that the 2015+ Fords have aluminum beds, so the net weight removing the factory bed and putting your flatbed on is going to be different (probably significantly so) compared to pulling a steel bed off an older truck and putting the flatbed on.

As far as frame-rail layouts go, for Ford, you can check the BBAS at https://fordbbas.com/publications for the layout guides for at least the last several model years (for several models).

FlyingW

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WA
With a little modification you can make a flatbed fit anything. I'm on a farm and put a 72 Chev to a 97 Ford and then onto an 02 Chev.

I built one for a 90 Ford and transferred to a 96 Ford and then to an 02 Chev, 05 Chev, 08 Chev, and now on a 17 Chev. With minor work they can fit anything. Like you say I custom built the bed to my specs and as long as it is straight it is what I like best. Move it to a new pickup and I give it a fresh coat of paint. When the pickups go back down the road they have a nice looking almost showroom box put back on them to trade off.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
If you're gonna go to gas, the 6.0l GM motor is pretty damn tough. It's not a dyno queen that puts up astonishing numbers but you can pick one up for a good price and it has a good flat torque curve.

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn

Polaris [/QUOTE]

You don't have to find a Denali to get the 6.2 I think 2013 and older you could get the 6.2 in a mid-level trim package. I had a 2012 GMC Sierra SLE with the 6.2 Max tow package 373 gears and brake controller. I now have a 2014 Silverado with the 6-2 and Max tow package but had to go all the way to an LTZ trim to get it. Plenty of horsepower and torque love both of them just wished GM could figure out a way to get more than 26 gallon tank in a half ton crew cab.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL

Polaris

You don't have to find a Denali to get the 6.2 I think 2013 and older you could get the 6.2 in a mid-level trim package. I had a 2012 GMC Sierra SLE with the 6.2 Max tow package 373 gears and brake controller. I now have a 2014 Silverado with the 6-2 and Max tow package but had to go all the way to an LTZ trim to get it. Plenty of horsepower and torque love both of them just wished GM could figure out a way to get more than 26 gallon tank in a half ton crew cab.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

You're mixing a lot of info here.

Denali = GMC
LTZ = Chevy

You can still get the 6.2 without going Denali or High Country. SLT is equal to an LTZ, SLE is an LT equivalent. High Country and Denali are similar.

The 6.2 has plenty of power and can get down but it doesn't have the cooling capacity of a 6.0, the brakes, or long durability. If you're gonna tow all the time the 6.0 is really a better motor and will last. 6.2 is a sportier motor that can tow but I wouldn't get it if all I was doing is towing. Weekend warrior is fine.

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
All I was trying to say was if you want is little more grunt in 1/2 ton like the OP has now you can find the 6.2 in both GMC and Chevy. if you stay I think 2013 and older you can pick up both a GMC or a Chevy with the 6-2 at a lesser trim level than what you can after that. To get the 6.0 must go to 3/4 ton or if you get lucky enough to find a heavy half

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
If you care about things like GVRW you'll want to watch it on the half tons and even on the 3/4 ton trucks. I know on my Ram 2500 I'm close to the limit with 2 sleds on the deck in the back. Adding the tongue weight of a trailer would put me well over the limit. I know I can deal with how it drives with some airbags but that won't help me out of a ticket if I get scaled.

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
I've got a custom built flatbed made for sleds that I want to hold on to. It's on a 1996 chevy k1500. The truck is fine but I want something with a little more grunt at elevation. I live at 6k and go up from there.

The dumb question: Will the rails of the flatbed fit on non-chevy frames? Is frame spacing standard? I guess that goes for newer chevy/gmc trucks too.

The less dumb question: I don't really want to deal with diesel since it's mostly used in the cold (plus repairs I can't do myself), so what's a good gas truck to replace it with?

I'm not buying any gas dodge so we're talking chevy or ford here.
Originally posted a couple months ago just curious if you picked something out

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
What the hell happened to truck prices? Eeesh, it's getting ridiculous. I'm actually kicking around the idea of just a new motor and tranny.

Thanks for the input guys. A 10sp would be heaven.

the most I'd be pulling is two sleds on the bed and then a small 16ft camper.

California has a mandatory truck year requirement for business trucks … depending on weight.
Starting in 2020 no truck older than 2010.

Last administration philosophy was to regulate out "non essential" transportation to make "clean energy" more likely. Hence all the regulations.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Found a 2008 gasser 2500 chevy for cheap enough. Built the frame extensions, and a bumper, now just gotta get the storage boxes on. Really glad I stayed with a chevy. Bolt holes in the frame lined up with crossbraces of the flat bed. Didn't have to drill anything on the frame. Phew!

Don't ever say I leave you hangin!

side.jpg

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Don't roll the back windows down without rolling the front windows down.

Crazy bass rattles ur eardrums if u do.

Sent it

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Don't roll the back windows down without rolling the front windows down.

Crazy bass rattles ur eardrums if u do.

Sent it

You ain't foolin. I about popped my head driving home when I bought it.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Yeah I didn't want the longer wheelbase and I'll never have a ton of weight on the back. Chevys already turn like shlt.

It was definitely some work but I wanted the manuverability in tight spots. It's less leverage than a deck on a short bed.

Last edited:
Premium Features