• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain fit hood

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Trying to figure it out a burned a hole in the intake right away. When they say use the defender intake as a guide, use it as a guide to make a template. Or go to the home depot and buy a $25 3/16 looooong drill bit out of laziness.
Tried super glue. Didn't work at all. Now I have a solid spot with a hole in the center. Silicone? Ideas?

IMG_20201224_223602968.jpg

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
There I think I figured it out. The pic posting anyway.
See my fingernail sticking through, so pissed at myself

full

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I put some clear silicone over the hole it'll be fine till it's not I guess.

Be sure when you trim out the piece inside the air box that you end up with a flat flush surface. The defender and the face of the air box need to be mated. The less silicone the better.
I used a multi tool, a saws all, a cutoff wheel, a knife, a sanding disk, and a deburring tool. I made a real mess of it
Drill the holes with a super long bit. When I messed up on that first hole it ended up way too close to the inner edge so I had to grind a flat spot on the screw head so it would fit up against the wall.
Warm up those reflector stickers with a hair drier or they won't come off.
Layout your intake side vents measure three times unlike me. I measured in 5/8 but after I drilled the holes realized it needed to be 7/8 now that's goofy too.
full
full

Oops

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
From left to right
The left brackets must be for the front most bolt holes on the side hood pieces. The holes are about 3/4" off but it might work.
Not sure what all the rivets are for yet, or that roll of high temp tape
That foam must go between the air box and the hood?
Then they supply a new bolt with an big aluminum boss for reasons unknown?

full

Not a clue what these little plates are for? Made of aluminum on the outside and plastic in the middle it seems
full

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I have been probing people all day on the fb and hygraded this pic that speaks a thousand words.
It shows where the white piece goes as well as how much you need to drill out, about a third of what I drilled out allready. Makes most of that intake vent useless
full

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Well I was about to throw it all in the garbage but mountain fit returned my reply on a Saturday night. I might get this togather after all
More stolen photos

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
When ya mount the white fins on the air box you need to trim off the edge that mates to the oe hood so you have a flat surface for the river head. Even after the trim, there is not enough room for the 3/16 rivet. I went and bought some 1/8 rivets that just barely caught the edge of the white pieces

full
full

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
drilled the main mount hole and bolted it in temperarily to line the rest up.
full

Then noticed lots of gap on the sides.
full
I guess I needed to rivet through the hood and the white pieces at the same time

Drilled some rivets out, lined stuff up better and mock assembled while drilling with 10-32 bolts. Still got it wrong and had to re drill one side.
full

Still got it wrong and the upper corner is hanging low, it's glued and I no longer care it's crooked
full

Pretty sure I'll have to drill out one of those rivets again for that bracket that holds the front of the hood on. Plus I forgot to cut the holes for that vent now the box is going to get full of plastic shavings again and I can't get em out now it's all glued togather
Then this thing
full

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I slept on it and I'm going to go to town and buy more rivets. I need to cut this all the way apart again. I don't have the right angle to mate the surfaces of the air box and the chassis. I will have to re drill all those holes in the hood to move the box inside.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Been at it all day found four rivets in town for two bux a piece, tried to make my own out of a normal rivet with a dremel, fail
Continued putting it togather and hey I'm all the way to the finish line and it looks like absolute $h!7!
full

If you want to use the key switch you have to build a spacer. The poly is half the thickness of the oe hood
full

Guess what the box still didn't line up
full

nor do the quarter turns even come close to the body
full

Real nice

Premium Features