• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mototrax "Forksafe" spindle

W
Feb 23, 2009
Here's the fix for your problem

The samething happened to my daughters bike. I was able to save the fork ends (basically the fork tubes since you have to buy them as an assy). Been working great for 2.5 mos now. Extremely strong. 3/16" x 2" flat bar bent to conform to angles on fork ends. I made mine out of Stainless Steel

20161227_145604.jpg 20161227_145614.jpg

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'm happy with the spindle. Until the fit kits start showing up with perfect geometry just do whatever you need to get the spindle bolt about an inch behind the axle. also shim the ski front and back to limit plowing and darting. I made a sweet little strap of aluminum to go from my brake hanger to the front side plate bolt so i can yank it forward hard and it won't spin on the axle. Beyond that i can't tell any difference than my ts other than i have an inch more travel on the mtx. My wrists are happy. Its a dang good idea and worth the extra head ache to make it work.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Now that the snow is getting hard, I am really liking the flex of the mototrax spindle compared to the ts. It kinda twists just enough to make it feel like your not fighting the spring snow as much with your arms.

I made a small strap to bolt to the lower brake bolt so I can tug forward if I get stuck.

Also the front rubber was not keeping the ski from tipping up in front and washing. It seems like the spindle front pad is just a smaller square area and even if I shimmed it tight it would flex the rubber more than on the ts spindle. The way I fixed it was to just tie a rope from the back of the ski to the axle. I experimented with different lengths and it seems like you want it tight when the ski is at full **** in a turn on the garage floor. Also some rope holds a knot better than others. I also tried some nylon dog leash material with metal buckles, it looked trick but i kept breaking the buckle....

The orange strap is just something I add to all my bikes to lift the front of the bike without bending over.

IMG_20170315_201440164_HDR.jpg IMG_20170315_201407963_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
E
Dec 19, 2007
With the ts ski it will climb out or over anything and seems to do it better than before because it doesn't plow as much and try to stop the bike. The ts ski has a pretty big curl on the tip. I'm not sure it would work as well with other skis that don't have the big curl on the tip. I could even bury the front up to the bars in spring mush sink holes and it would still move forward and climb out. It never could do that before because if the whole ski tips up it stops all forward progress.

Premium Features