• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moose Encounter...

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Riding yesterday in Seeley we came across two guys stopped on the trail side by side. As we pulled up they told us there was a moose up ahead that had no plans of leaving the trail. About that time another six or so sleds pulled up behind us and were informed of the road block.

So what happened next? Running down the moose? Pulling out a hand gun? An argument? No.

Everyone expressed concern about not harming the moose and calmly sat and talked while the moose made its way further up the trail. As the moose would go out of sight, we'd slowly inch forward 'til we saw it-always giving it plenty of room. In a short distance the road forked and we were able to go left as the moose took the fork to the right. The whole thing took maybe 15 minutes.

Nice work guys.

IMG_3949.jpg

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
Ironically, this afternoon I was just talking to a friend about this same subject.

You guys must be amateurs and not know what to do. According to most people who commented on the YouTube videos last year you're supposed ride up real close, make all kinds of strange whooping noises trying to scare it out of the trail, and when it charges you, for "self defense" unload your pistol into the moose then and drive over it's legs as you leave it to die. - sarcasm off

We found a moose on the trail on the first ride this season and did just like you guys did. Patience is a virtue, as is a little common sense.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
it's good that that encounter turned out well but these 2 situations are completely different a road encounter is totally different than a meeting on a single track trail with no room to turn around. moose are extremely dangerous animals and kill many people each year. so preach all you guys want but until you have walked a mile in the other guys shoes . you may want to withhold judgment of others actions.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
it's good that that encounter turned out well but these 2 situations are completely different a road encounter is totally different than a meeting on a single track trail with no room to turn around. moose are extremely dangerous animals and kill many people each year. so preach all you guys want but until you have walked a mile in the other guys shoes . you may want to withhold judgment of others actions.

I say "BULLSH!T"

I watched that video more than I wanted to, and that was an easily avoidable outcome.
That fellow should have faced charges.

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id

Are you kidding me!!!!!!

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
good for you guys. seeing those animals up close like that should be just as rewarding as the view from the top. I'm no tree-hugger but we are playing in their back yard, not vice-versa.

I stopped riding with a guy who had that "kill it becouse it's in my way" attitude. he started going on about shooting someones pet dog trotting down the side of the road as we were coming off the mountain and that was the last straw for me.

Now I don't ride... nobody to go out with anymore and too dangerous for a one legged guy to go out there alone. Oh well... still better than riding with a-holes.

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK

Yes, a pissed off moose can be dangerous. NO they do not kill "many" people each year. Sometimes events spiral out of control despite our best efforts, but more often a lack of common sense is the major player. We live with moose every day around here, the biggest danger is hitting one with your car....sometimes fatal for all involved.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I say "BULLSH!T"

I watched that video more than I wanted to, and that was an easily avoidable outcome.
That fellow should have faced charges.

Someone didn't like this post. (take 1 guess who!)
Gave me a bad rep.
Not that I care, just felt like calling him out!
What a pussie!

Only a coward is cruel to animals or defends those who are cruel to animals.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
Gave me a bad rep.
What a pussie!

Yeah I'm sure it was the same person who gave me bad rep in the other moose thread about the snowmobilers digging out the moose. If you read my post I didn't say anything that was even slightly inflammatory. I wonder if he's the same one who shot the moose?

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
Gave me a bad rep.
What a pussie!

I gave you a green thumb to make up for it :becky:

A few years ago I came face to face with a bull moose in the rut, (about 15 yards away) I was bow hunting in Montana. I'll admit that I had my 44 mag in my hand in about 2 seconds. He must have thought I was to skinny to mount because after what seemed like about an hour stare down (probably like 30 seconds) he walked away. I'm so glad I didn't have to shoot him. Talk about a cool experience though. You don't realize how big they are until your that close to them

Hail Yea

Lifetime Membership
Oct 26, 2010
I've come across dozens of moose over the years and some have been close enough to touch. I have to say that I always proceed with caution and give them as much room as possible. In reference to the video last year it's in my opinion that person was wrong by shooting that moose. He had the opportunity to wait it out without confrontation. He was being impatient.

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
I agree, I live where there are moose and have also been close to many over the years, often while on foot. I don't try to get close, but sometimes it just happens, they may approach me or in thicker cover we just end up close before we realize it. In my opinion the best way to avoid trouble is don't purposely push the moose by getting too close making it feel threatened and in the process put it in a defensive position.

If you find yourself too close, back up if possible or at least just stop and wait. Don't act aggressively and move in fast and close.

I've come across dozens of moose over the years and some have been close enough to touch. I have to say that I always proceed with caution and give them as much room as possible. In reference to the video last year it's in my opinion that person was wrong by shooting that moose. He had the opportunity to wait it out without confrontation. He was being impatient.

Premium Features