• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Monte cristo

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Trying to ride new areas and I would like to ride monte. How do I get there coming from SLC? Any ideas if trails are groomed and if you can venture off trail yet?

Thanks

SNOWCASE

Lifetime Membership
Jun 18, 2008
Layton, Utah
They have not started grooming yet and the trail to the top is "well used" and pretty bumpy.
Easiest way from Salt Lake is to take I-15 to Ogden 12th street exit and head east till you go past Pineview dam, as you go by the dam you will pass Chris' (good food and drinks) and begin to turn heading North and you will pass a Chevron Station, you will take a right at the next road (Brown sign will say Monte Cristo recreation area) and stay on road till it ends at gate. (for a map you can go to state parks and rec website or snowut.com under resources.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
Or...
take I-15 North to Hwy 89. Take hwy 89 to I-84 East. Get off on the Mt. Green exit (signs will also take you to Snowbasin and Powder Mountain ski resorts). Turn left at the Sinclair Station, taking Trapper's Loop over the mountain and down into Huntsville/Ogden Valley. Turn right at the T, passing Chris's, the Chevron, and the next right is Hwy 39. Go East on 39 (about 16 miles) to the Monte Parking lot.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I was up there thursday. As others said, the road is about as bad as it gets, and you have to ride the road to get to what little snow there is. If I weren't breaking in and tuning my new motor, I wouldn't have gone. It's not worth it imo.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
wait for snow and grooming

I'm with the posts above. I was there a week ago and had a great day, but that's because I know exactly what spots to go to when the snow is low. A week later now, there would be even bigger moguls on the trail up, and even less snow at the top to reward you.

Trouble is...I don't know where to tell you to go instead. It's probably about as good as any place out there right now.

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
We were up there yesterday. Rode the upper loop out of Hardware Ranch, back through Monte Cristo, and then over the road from Monte to HWR. There were a few untracked meadows on the very back side of Loop 59, but the top layer was crusty (3/8" thick ice). The groomer was just going through when we were headed out of Monte to the parking lot. Sketchy conditions however. A few land mines still. No damage from anyone in our group, but we came close a few times.

Premium Features