• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

North Idaho riding - looking for info

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've been thinking of checking this area out when snow conditions allow. What's the riding like out of Wallace/Kellogg? It looks like there's a bunch of groomed trails right out of town, but I'm unsure on the terrain type once you're out there. What can it be compared to? I've ridden a number of places all over MT, ID, WY, CO and BC.

We're a solid intermediate/advanced group on modern equipment and have formal avalanche training.

Any help would be appreciated!

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Trestle creek had a big burn a couple years ago that opened up terrain that we couldn't ride very easily before so it has gotten better up there. The county has been hit or miss with grooming so no guarantee on the trail conditions. We had a bit of dirt showing down low this last weekend but up top still had decent coverage.

Priest lake is another good option. They are better about grooming, we usually ride out of the airport and go over to the washington side but the east side of the lake has some sweet spots too.

The last real option up here is roman nose lakes - access is difficult because of private timberland and ongoing logging but there is good riding up around the lakes.

The last thing I'll say is the IPNF passed the OSVUM this last year and starting next year, April 1st all of the national forest is closed to off trail riding for bear habitat. The promise is that it should open back up once they are delisted but we will see about that - we basically lose a bunch of spring riding opportunities.

Premium Features