• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

McCain taps Alaska governor for VP. Read the last few lines, Can you say snowmobile??

F
Dec 1, 2007
NORTH BEND
her husband is a "National snowmachine racer"..........

in my mind, McCain demonstrates his political prowess by choosing her as his running mate - a political ploy. Energy (alaska pipleline, both crude and natural gas), youth, gender, inexperience (read: change), support for the war (son is heading to Iraq in 2 weeks), union member, blah, blah, blah. I'm sorry - I can't vote for someone who would abandon her children - a 4 month old baby for chrissake! - to go on the campaign trail. If she thinks she was chosen because she's the best candidate, she is fooling herself.

Wow Karen, I'm I little shocked by your remarks. Women have been waiting for the glass ceiling to break for the top offices of the country for a very long time. What is it with women? Do they want job, family ect or not? What an experience for her kids, it looks like they are all pretty much grown except her newborn and it sounds like the kid has Downs syndrome...I'm sure she'll keep her/him very close. Damn, you would think that this woman would be the poster girl for women's lib! I'm sure her kids will be just fine.

Also there has to be something to this lady, it aint for all of Alaska's 3 electoral votes. I dont think McCain would pick her just to lure Hillary voters either....sounds like those folks already have their minds made up. I've heard she has an %80 approval rating as well. What gives Karen?

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
I'm with Soccer6 here. If your main reason for voting for a candidate is focused on what you believe their snowmobiling beliefs are and they are going to undo something that has been done in the past, You are high!! too high.:rolleyes:
Now if you are voting because you identify with certain ideals or foreign policies I can respect that. People need to think beyond themselves when making decisions like this. What is good for the majority is good for you as well.

I know I'll get slammed, but I'm not gonna vote for a president just because he chose a running mate who is into snowmobiling..........

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
How old is she?

Just because she didn't announce her pregnancy to the public until 8 months doesn't reveal anything except that she didn't reveal it until she was 8 months along.

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
Maybe I'm missing something here but I didn't see anyone said they would support McCain simply for the reason that his choice for VP rides sleds???:confused:

I see most are saying that it is an additional plus though.
As I already stated, She seems pretty grounded.
Working mom, Not a lifelong politician.

H

H2SNOW

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 19, 2005
North of 60 ...Deep Deep in the bush ......
"She's exactly who this country needs to help me fight the same old Washington politics of me first and country second," the presumptive Republican nominee said at a Dayton, Ohio, rally of about 15,000 supporters, who welcomed the surprise pick of the relatively unknown politician with cheers and flags.

"She's got the grit, integrity, good sense and fierce devotion to the common good that is exactly what we need in Washington today," McCain said.

Palin, 44, told the crowd, "To have been chosen brings a great challenge. I know that it will demand the best that I have to give and I promise nothing less."

Palin is a first-term governor who unseated incumbent Gov. Frank Murkowski in the Republican primary in 2006 and went on to defeat former Gov. Tony Knowles, a Democrat, in the general election.

She will be the first woman to be nominated for vice president as a Republican and only the second to run for vice president on a major party ticket, after Democrat Geraldine Ferraro in 1984. Video Watch Palin say she's honored to be chosen »

Palin also will be the first Alaskan to be on the ticket of either party.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
being a working mother is difficult in the best of situations.......... but campaigning? did you know she didn't even announce that she was pregnant until 1 month before Trig was born? wonder why? because she knew he had down syndrome? I don't know the answer to that question, but how do you hide a pregnancy from an entire state until your ninth month? I'd have to assume you're definately not in touch with the folks in your state, as you would not be able to be seen in public........ so much for people first, self secondary.........

I know I'll get slammed, but I'm not gonna vote for a president just because he chose a running mate who is into snowmobiling..........

so it's okay for her to divert her attentions from this baby to campaign for VP since this is her fifth child? sheesh!

Lots of assuming motives and activities!!! not generally a smart thing...

She is mid forties with a baby...that puts her at high risk for either miscarriage or issues at birth...The baby is Down Syndrome, which makes it an even higher risk for even carrying to term...then put high risk for age and down, well I have NO issue keeping things private...

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/children/parents/special/birth/610.html

My boss was 8 months pregnant and had gained 9 total pounds... was mid forties as well...she is a marathon runner...not saying it was right or healthy, but working for a LARGE company, and she is a VERY visible person in the company...no one knew up until she said something and it was in her 8th month...

not all things inolve evil or misplaced motives...

Last edited:
her husband is a "National snowmachine racer"..........

in my mind, McCain demonstrates his political prowess by choosing her as his running mate - a political ploy. Energy (alaska pipleline, both crude and natural gas), youth, gender, inexperience (read: change), support for the war (son is heading to Iraq in 2 weeks), union member, blah, blah, blah. I'm sorry - I can't vote for someone who would abandon her children - a 4 month old baby for chrissake! - to go on the campaign trail. If she thinks she was chosen because she's the best candidate, she is fooling herself.

Good lord, and people wonder why women are held down, and we're losing the political fight to keep riding areas. Obviously should have picked Liberman.

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
My only point was that People are getting really excited about one very small point that ultimately is a total nonissue. I know it's importanct to us but she won't have any pull for us in the snowmobile community. She would actully serve us better if she stays in congress. :confused:

Maybe I'm missing something here but I didn't see anyone said they would support McCain simply for the reason that his choice for VP rides sleds???:confused:

I see most are saying that it is an additional plus though.
As I already stated, She seems pretty grounded.
Working mom, Not a lifelong politician.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
What gives Karen?

I think choosing her because she is a woman is deemed a slap in the face to women. Womens rights are about equality.... Is equality what we are getting when a woman is only choosen because she is a female? I don't think so. Kind of like affirmative action..... Is McCain using her just because she is a woman and he wants to get the woman voters from Hillary? I don't think so, but dang if it doesn't look like it.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Shaw, Montana
The one thing I noticed with alot of politics is that they have NO private life.

The media looks for anything that will sell papers. They smoked weed, ran a stop light or didnt tell the world she was pregnat. Who cares. Maybe she wanted to keep it private. Not like she is a axmurderer or something.

Focus on the issues at hand instead of the petty crap.

My only point was that People are getting really excited about one very small point that ultimately is a total nonissue. I know it's importanct to us but she won't have any pull for us in the snowmobile community. She would actully serve us better if she stays in congress. :confused:

Ahh Dude, she is the GOVERNOR of Alaska... she's surely not going to wave a wand over everything snowmobile, but no pull, certainly more pull than Al Gore or Biden would have for us...

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Here is some good info on her

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

Personal life

Palin's husband, Todd, is a commercial fisherman and is one-eighth Yup'ik. [62] Outside the fishing season, Todd works for BP energy corporation at an oil field on Alaska's North Slope[63] and is a champion snowmobiler, winning the 2000-mile "Iron Dog" race four times.[3] The two eloped shortly after Palin graduated from college; when they learned they needed witnesses for the civil ceremony, they recruited two residents from the old-age home down the street.[3] The Palin family lives in Wasilla, about 40 miles (64 km) north of Anchorage.

On September 11, 2007, the Palins' then eighteen-year-old son Track, eldest of five, joined the Army.[64] He now serves in an infantry brigade and will be deployed to Iraq on September 11, 2008.[65] She also has three daughters: Bristol, Willow and Piper.[6]

On April 18, 2008, while in office as governor, Palin gave birth to her second son, Trig Paxson Van Palin, who has Down syndrome.[66] She returned to the office three days after giving birth.[11] Her decision to have the baby after prenatal genetic testing revealed he had the disorder resulted in admiration from the pro-life community.[67]

Details of Palin's personal life have contributed to her political image. She hunts, eats moose hamburger, ice fishes, rides snowmobiles, and owns a float plane.[13][68] Palin holds a lifetime membership with the National Rifle Association. She admits that she used marijuana when it was legal in Alaska, but says that she did not like it.[10] In December 2007, Palin posed for a photo spread in the fashion magazine Vogue.[69]

And if you're confused this morning this is a SNOWMOBILE forum, so I wouldn't really say that someone's stance on snowomobiling is a "non-issue"

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I dont think even Obama will be dumb enough to try and attack her on the experience issue ! I dont know much about her but a least she is not Romney! Thank god for that!

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I dont think even Obama will be dumb enough to try and attack her on the experience issue ! I dont know much about her but a least she is not Romney! Thank god for that!

The AP has all ready been attacking her on experience. Obama camp would shot themselves if they tried to attack her experience.

Premium Features