• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MATRYX SLP TWIN PIPES

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I'm wondering if the stock setup scavenging from both cylinders creates stability.
I just think it creates a broader powerband.

Twins are notoriously peaky.
Hard to clutch
Hard to tune fuel. (Often one cylinder has a different leak down percentage + slight difference in the pipe = the 2 cylinders each have a different optimal tune)

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Is it the new ecu system of the matryx that is throwing slp for a loop? Or same problem they had with the axys 850?
SLP has been working hard on the tune for these. Last week I downloaded the latest revision, think it was number 3. Had a chance to run it in some pretty deep powder at Wolf Creek. The new tune is light years better that what was originally released with the pipes, and yes I do believe the new 22 ECU was the main source for the issues. I have to give the people at SLP kudos for their work on this, once they were aware of the problems they worked diligently to resolve, I even received a call well after business hours from Jerry (SLP manager) to discuss the problems and his options to help resolve. I think there is still a little left on the table but overall the sled runs well. I did do some of the extra things, added the TRS recommended bung higher up on the pipe, and I heat wrapped these (total PIA). One thing that for sure will help is better air intake options when in deep powder, the stock vents clog up quickly in deep powder, more venting options are hopefully in the works.

66465261164__EE887BD6-6F5A-4E71-BBF3-40EDE31A6A78.jpeg

R
Sep 30, 2021
Washington
It looks like this discussion ended. Am I correct to assume everyone got most of the issues worked out and are happy now?

I am thinking about picking up a set of twins and am trying to decide if it's worth it. I ride generally around 4-6k in WA but will also be making multiple trips to higher elevations. It seems that staying away from the head might be easier to deal with as far as tuning. Did SLP work out the tune now so that I can get away without doing the extra modifications that Tony suggested? I am hoping to be able to basically bolt some parts on and change weights when needed. Did they get dialed to that point yet or should I stay away? I am fully aware there are a lot of people who have had bad experiences with the twins but am hoping things may have changed.

Any advice other than buy a Boost would be appreciated. My boost belongs at the bottom of a lake!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
It looks like this discussion ended. Am I correct to assume everyone got most of the issues worked out and are happy now?

I am thinking about picking up a set of twins and am trying to decide if it's worth it. I ride generally around 4-6k in WA but will also be making multiple trips to higher elevations. It seems that staying away from the head might be easier to deal with as far as tuning. Did SLP work out the tune now so that I can get away without doing the extra modifications that Tony suggested? I am hoping to be able to basically bolt some parts on and change weights when needed. Did they get dialed to that point yet or should I stay away? I am fully aware there are a lot of people who have had bad experiences with the twins but am hoping things may have changed.

Any advice other than buy a Boost would be appreciated. My boost belongs at the bottom of a lake!
There are plenty of used sets for sale for cheap. I would stay away if you are riding in WA. I haven't seen a set run as advertised.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

Another boat anchor eh?

If you need something more than an NA850 which is good enough for us 97%ers, then the obvious option is the Carls Cycle 900. It’s tried and true and runs very well. The twins can be made to work, but it’s not a bolt and go. It’s an operation.

S
Jan 16, 2008
Lincoln MT
SLP has another tune. Installed it last week. Runs amazing the mid range will literally pull your arms out of your socket. Can't wait to put a set on my 9r when it gets here. Ya the tunes sucked at first but each one is better and better. They have the 850 figured out!

My 2022 850 155 Khaos has had outlaw twins on it since day one and had zero issues. Pulls hard and runs out awesome. Tuning is spot on and never skips a beat. I’ve always ran turbos on my sleds but, the twins on the 850 in my opinion are the way to go. I ride Yakima, Tollgate and McCall and it has ran dialed every where I ride. Just got to make sure the pipes are warmed up and hit the throttle.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
SLP has another tune. Installed it last week. Runs amazing the mid range will literally pull your arms out of your socket. Can't wait to put a set on my 9r when it gets here. Ya the tunes sucked at first but each one is better and better. They have the 850 figured out!
Sorry to hear this! Hope you heal up quickly

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Total freaking nightmare. That SLP is still selling this set up is criminal. I wasted a season and a half trying to get the set up on my sled to run without the death bog, fouling plugs at least every other ride, going into a weird limp mode or even running clean and as advertised for one complete day of riding. The staff at SLP was alway available, always had things to check and fix and adjust but the sled ran like crap from day one to the day I took that garbage off and returned to stock. Now they are advertising it for the Matryx. Again is such a shady thing to do to the sledding community. BTW, my kit was installed professionally, was worked on and tried to get it running right by professionals, every single thing SLP said to do check or change was done checked or changed and again I never got one single day of trouble free riding. The WORST thing was that the half days it ran well the sled made awesome power, the mid range was really strong and the top end just kept building to 8600-8700 rpm. That power was really hard to give up and why I tried for such a long time to get it running well.
If anyone wants to stick their head in this oven I have the kit I took off my sled, complete and in excellent condition for less than half price. $1500. It sucks, it is going to suck for you so enter this pit of hell well informed and prepared for the trial it is.

B
Dec 3, 2001
No. Utah
I had the same experience last year. Motor ended up going down with a PTO crank bearing. Ran it stock on the new motor to finish last year. Worked great, but definitely noticeable difference. I put the pipes, tune and clutching back on without the head this offseason only one full day in so far but it ran great all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Total freaking nightmare. That SLP is still selling this set up is criminal. I wasted a season and a half trying to get the set up on my sled to run without the death bog, fouling plugs at least every other ride, going into a weird limp mode or even running clean and as advertised for one complete day of riding. The staff at SLP was alway available, always had things to check and fix and adjust but the sled ran like crap from day one to the day I took that garbage off and returned to stock. Now they are advertising it for the Matryx. Again is such a shady thing to do to the sledding community. BTW, my kit was installed professionally, was worked on and tried to get it running right by professionals, every single thing SLP said to do check or change was done checked or changed and again I never got one single day of trouble free riding. The WORST thing was that the half days it ran well the sled made awesome power, the mid range was really strong and the top end just kept building to 8600-8700 rpm. That power was really hard to give up and why I tried for such a long time to get it running well.
If anyone wants to stick their head in this oven I have the kit I took off my sled, complete and in excellent condition for less than half price. $1500. It sucks, it is going to suck for you so enter this pit of hell well informed and prepared for the trial it is.

So you had the twins on an axys or a matryx?

Premium Features