• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matryx Boost WOT Bog

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Sorry… Yes, I get bogs carving left, right, and going straight. Mine has basically always bogged in deeper pow. From these posts, and thinking about it my cardboard part of the intake has always had a little bit of, say, a deformed weak section right before the 90° elbow to the turbo. Not as bad as the photo above, but it’s weak right there before the elbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder if that intake tube can be sucessfully be coated with a thin layer of fiberglass resin or similar, to add to its rigidity?

B
Feb 17, 2019
That or maybe just using some ingenuity with something. I’m going with the mnt tech intake. That looks like the perfect setup.

I’ll report back if it fixes my bog issues.

Flyingcasey

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2024
Eastern Washington
I guy would sure think POO would have come up with a better plan than this intake..
Oh well, Lets hope the MTNTK works better! Sounds like speedwerx is in R and D for an option as well.

B
Feb 17, 2019
Right… I’ll know right away if it fixes my bog. I should have my Mnt tech intake tomorrow, and be riding in deep Utah pow Friday with the new intake. I’ll report back with what I find.

B
Feb 17, 2019
My sled is still bogging in over the hood snow even with the Mnt tech air intake. It seemed better, but still not good. I’m going to add more under hood air intake with prefilter covering holes I’ll add to the air box where I can. It seems like it’s just running too rich due to lack of air, then it can’t pull itself out of its funk once it bogs. I’m also considering going with an aftermarket tune to lean it out a bit. Frustrating….

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
My sled is still bogging in over the hood snow even with the Mnt tech air intake. It seemed better, but still not good. I’m going to add more under hood air intake with prefilter covering holes I’ll add to the air box where I can. It seems like it’s just running too rich due to lack of air, then it can’t pull itself out of its funk once it bogs. I’m also considering going with an aftermarket tune to lean it out a bit. Frustrating….

I wonder if you have a bad coil.

B
Feb 17, 2019
This. Starting seeing this pop up in ‘19.

Or….Might need a relearn of the valves???

Interesting thoughts. I have the Ez Lynk and have relearned my EV’s and Wastegate successfully.

Not sure about the coil.

It’ll run awesome until the IBEXX intakes get covered in snow and frozen over then bad bog. Just wiping the intakes doesn’t bring it out of the bog. I have to stop and really clean up the intakes then it’ll rip until the intakes clog up and ice over.

B
Feb 17, 2019
On the bad coil idea… Sorry, I’m not a mechanic, but curious how a bad coil would allow the sled run perfect in all non deep powder conditions, but as soon as the intakes get covered over and frozen it bogs, then I stop, clear the intakes, and it immediately runs perfect until the intakes get clogged again? I don’t know anything about a good or bad coil, but I don’t see how a bad coil would contribute to what I’m describing. I’m all ears though.

B
Feb 17, 2019
I heard the Ibexx kinda sucks. Sell those and get the BoonDocker set up. They seem to do the trick. They don't ice up.

Interesting. I wonder if boondocker use a different prefilter material? Ibexx uses frogz skin material. I see Caleb using the ibexx intakes on his sled which isn’t bogging. I have a sheet of SLP’s prefilter material, maybe I’ll cover the IBEXX material with SLP’s material.

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
Interesting. I wonder if boondocker use a different prefilter material? Ibexx uses frogz skin material. I see Caleb using the ibexx intakes on his sled which isn’t bogging. I have a sheet of SLP’s prefilter material, maybe I’ll cover the IBEXX material with SLP’s material.

Maybe the larger surface area of the Boondocker is the ticket? At least it looks like it has more surface area.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
You can still cover the ibexx and freeze them and then it will suck the turbo inlet closed.

More intake surface area is mandatory. But also turbo inlet as well for when the vents inevitably become plugged.

That's why it's weird and intermittent and u can chop thru. Thr compressor surge blows enough snow off it won't collapse intake elbow.

B
Feb 17, 2019
Appreciate everyone’s thoughts! When it’s not bogging and I let off from WOT it’ll blow off some of the snow on the intakes, but eventually they just get too covered and then the bog hits and that’s it. It will not work through the bog with either pumping the throttle or wiping off what snow I can while trying to ride. Once the bog sets in it’s it sets until I stop and fully clear the intakes if ice and snow. Then it’s off to the races for about 30 seconds and the bog is back.

There’s no way the Mnt tech air box and silicone tubes are collapsing. They are really solid. I’m going to try and remove the Mnt tech air plunger that’s supposed to open up at the end of their tube when the outside hood intakes plug. That should allow good under hood air to move freely without having to wait for the plunger to open. I think I’m hitting the big before the Mnt tech plunger deal can open?? By the way I have all my hood vents covered with frogskinz so I don’t think any snow can get into the engine area, which should give me clear under hood air to work with once I open some more under hood air intake locations and cover them with prefilter. We’ll see…

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
interesting thread.
seems like there is no one clear fix.
mtntek AND some other vent, boondocker or ibexx 🤷🏻‍♂️

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
You can still cover the ibexx and freeze them and then it will suck the turbo inlet closed.

More intake surface area is mandatory. But also turbo inlet as well for when the vents inevitably become plugged.

That's why it's weird and intermittent and u can chop thru. Thr compressor surge blows enough snow off it won't collapse intake elbow.

I feel semi-retarded for asking this, but can you explain what you mean by “turbo inlet”? A pic would be great because, you know, words are hard.

B
Feb 17, 2019
So… from the first pic I removed the ball plunger from the Mnt tech intake. The ball plunger seemed like a pretty small area for any additional under hood air IMO. Now the full width of the Mnt tech air intake tube is open to the outerwear filter. A lot more air flow now, and always available vs waiting for the plunger to open from clogged outside air intakes.

The other photo shows the area that I cut a 5”X3” rectangle out of the stock air box, and taped SLP prefilter across the opening. Similar idea to the Fire n Ice setup. Not as pretty, but just as functional IMO.
55d0aabe86fd5fd3db0320b610f014ce.jpg

ab336892559b253d90ba8ecd7dac9e49.jpg

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA

The BoonDocker kit has nothing to do with the stock intake or covering the stock screens. You cut a new hole in the airbox for the BoonDocker kit. Caleb is running the BoonDocker on his 24 turbo. I honestly haven't had it bog at all and we were riding in some super deep stuff. Balas stock 850 screens were clogging and bogging yet I had no issues with my boost. 🤷🏻‍♂️

B
Feb 17, 2019
Just checked out the boondocker site, and their Boost intake. That does look bomber… I did see they are using Frogzskin material. That’s a lot of sq inches for air intake.

Not sure what sled Caleb was riding in Revy with Maskoka and crew, but I definitely saw he had IBEXX intakes on whatever sled he was riding. Anyway….

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Just checked out the boondocker site, and their Boost intake. That does look bomber… I did see they are using Frogzskin material. That’s a lot of sq inches for air intake.

Not sure what sled Caleb was riding in Revy with Maskoka and crew, but I definitely saw he had IBEXX intakes on whatever sled he was riding. Anyway….

Maybe he lies to me... I'm going to have to cut him off and quit paying him to be my friend 😑

Premium Features