• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matrix vs Axys

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Eight Hundred :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Careful. She makes a compelling argument about the 2018-2020 800HO being superior in runnability, rate of acceleration, reliability, and being a much better platform for aftermarket boost in comparison to the 850.

It really starts when she razzes us during downtime of fouled plug changes. While we replace our plugs, she also reminds us of her original plus and all the engine failures in 2019 and 2020 and 2022 and the 850 being a dog out of the hole. I bring up the QD2 helped but she reminds me it still doesn’t compare to her stock Axys gearing.

Then when us Matrix riders are replacing tracks and/or waiting for trail temps to come down, she reminds us her 2.6 has no torn paddles/delams and her coolant trail temp is at 110° when we are at 175°.

That sled of hers is snappy (800HO), rowdy, and fun to ride. And like Chilly, she knows everything. Our latest trip and her razzing us made me question myself: is the 2018-2020 800HO the best Polaris motor?

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
My 19 800 with a mtntk turbo was a damn good sled for me. Felt really stable and very reliable. Belt eating bitch but it was a runner. Rode the **** out of it for 5 seasons from whistler to Idaho and mt and never missed a beat for me. Idk if it’s because I spent so much time on it but I felt way more precise and comfortable on it than my boost….but then again I’ve only got to ride my new sled a hand full of times and it’s a khaos so there is that.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I am definitely biased owning a 17 800 and a 2020 850, but I agree with her. My 2017 is clutched, suspension'd, geared, SLPd and a blast to ride. My 2020 850 has more power, but is not set up as well.........yet. A turbo is in the cards down the road, but I would not trade my Axys for any of the N/A sleds on the market right now.

ryang85

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2020
Oregon/Norcal
Careful. She makes a compelling argument about the 2018-2020 800HO being superior in runnability, rate of acceleration, reliability, and being a much better platform for aftermarket boost in comparison to the 850.

It really starts when she razzes us during downtime of fouled plug changes. While we replace our plugs, she also reminds us of her original plus and all the engine failures in 2019 and 2020 and 2022 and the 850 being a dog out of the hole. I bring up the QD2 helped but she reminds me it still doesn’t compare to her stock Axys gearing.

Then when us Matrix riders are replacing tracks and/or waiting for trail temps to come down, she reminds us her 2.6 has no torn paddles/delams and her coolant trail temp is at 110° when we are at 175°.

That sled of hers is snappy (800HO), rowdy, and fun to ride. And like Chilly, she knows everything. Our latest trip and her razzing us made me question myself: is the 2018-2020 800HO the best Polaris motor?
I've been on a 17 axys, which was khoas converted for a while now and have 4100 miles on that 800 problem free. Cant argue with that too much in terms of reliability and I beat the hell out of it and shattered a clutch or two. Just replaced that 2.6 track 2 years ago to a camso conquer and that was a huge improvement and that sled was pretty rowdy with the way I had it set up after that, the 2.6 was a horrible track for our wet snow, the 2.8 was made it a wheelie machine that could still climb decent on deep days.
I just put my first 200 miles on my 24 boost with one good day of deep Oregon snow and a few other sub par days. The boost absolutely does circles around that 800 in every condition so far and the 800 feels like a 600 now I've gotten used to the boost. But obviously I'm no expert like the fellas on here.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Why has Polaris gone backwards? Honest question. Maybe so others could catch up?
I'm thinking sleds run better than they ever have. How is a factory turbo, with warranty, or a 9r that people wanted for years going backwards? Prices aren't going backwards. Not sure where you are going with this. Maybe if you listen to Chadly you are going backwards.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
I'm thinking sleds run better than they ever have. How is a factory turbo, with warranty, or a 9r that people wanted for years going backwards? Prices aren't going backwards. Not sure where you are going with this. Maybe if you listen to Chadly you are going backwards.
I don't remember fouling plugs since the eighties. When's the last time Polaris had P85 issues? Maybe Polaris could slow down a bit, get production quality under control, stop sending untested pieces out the door. This is for both snow and off road.
As far as prices, the consumer can change how Polaris is currently doing business and with the new 858 next year we just might see that if Cat can build enough..
I still ride the Axys chassis trying not to go backwards.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I don't remember fouling plugs since the eighties. When's the last time Polaris had P85 issues? Maybe Polaris could slow down a bit, get production quality under control, stop sending untested pieces out the door. This is for both snow and off road.
As far as prices, the consumer can change how Polaris is currently doing business and with the new 858 next year we just might see that if Cat can build enough..
I still ride the Axys chassis trying not to go backwards.
The plug fouling has been happening since the electronic oil pump came out on the 2016 Axys. It has gotten much better since the Matryx was released. I know of plenty p85s on 800 Axys sleds that had to be replaced too. My Axys also had electrical issues, track ratcheting issues, crappy handwarmers, didn't run very smooth, needed to crack the throttle to start it every time, and wouldn't idle well at elevation/ sometimes died idling. I also had to add power (slp stage 2), a narrow front end, and a tether.

So far I have had zero issues with the 9r, it has plenty of power for an N/A sled, feels every bit as light and nimble despite being like 40lbs heavier than my Axys (mine has estart too). The panels, gauge, tether, everything about it feels much more refined than the Axys. I 100% would not go back to any Axys chassis sled over this one.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I haven't had any problems with my Polaris sleds since I've switched brands that I can remember. I still think their fit and finish sucks and I never would go without having at least 2. I got the very first Boost and the very first 9R that my dealer delivered and neither of those sleds have needed any warranty work done that wasn't related to stop ride BS. I do very little, to no maintenance. I've never covered my sleds which have done thousands of miles on a sled deck in bad weather(covers are for poor people, just like warranties). I'm extremely hard on my sleds. Personally, I think the snowmobile gods just like to punish the whiny, broke, key board riders that come on here and post. 😌

Last edited:
F

Funzy0798

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
I would take an axys over a matrix, if the axys could have the matrix tunnel. Axys is lighter and easier to work on. My .02
This is something I'm currently working on... 8 inches chopped off plus another 9 inches of taper added. Kept original coolant flow and added another cooler up front from a Doo REV
20240104_133554.jpg
20240104_133547.jpg

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
The plug fouling has been happening since the electronic oil pump came out on the 2016 Axys. It has gotten much better since the Matryx was released. I know of plenty p85s on 800 Axys sleds that had to be replaced too. My Axys also had electrical issues, track ratcheting issues, crappy handwarmers, didn't run very smooth, needed to crack the throttle to start it every time, and wouldn't idle well at elevation/ sometimes died idling. I also had to add power (slp stage 2), a narrow front end, and a tether.

So far I have had zero issues with the 9r, it has plenty of power for an N/A sled, feels every bit as light and nimble despite being like 40lbs heavier than my Axys (mine has estart too). The panels, gauge, tether, everything about it feels much more refined than the Axys. I 100% would not go back to any Axys chassis sled over this one.
I've owned 7 Axys 8 hundo's. Never fouled one plug. Did have one twist and bust the ceramic. First 850 Axys this year. Not enough miles on it yet.
I think you are missing my point. Not one Axys or Pro 800 had a recall on the P85. Appears only the Matryx has the recall. I get it, they all may have some running issues.
Glad you are enjoying your 9r

Premium Features